Travel tool kit

• Premium Member
My tool kit contains all the tools I need to do general maintenance, including removing wheels and tires, along with a "Stop-n-go" air compressor, tire patches and plugs.  A jump-start battery pack is another handy item to have. I've used and loaned that out the most.

One never knows what may happen on the road and I prefer "better to have and not need, than need and not have"!

That said, what tools you pack will often reflect your mechanical skills and/or desire to work in you bike if it breaks down.

A credit card is also an essential tool to carry.....

My tool kit contains all the tools I need to do general maintenance, including removing wheels and tires, along with a "Stop-n-go" air compressor, tire patches and plugs.  A jump-start battery pack is another handy item to have. I've used and loaned that out the most. 
One never knows what may happen on the road and I prefer "better to have and not need, than need and not have"!

That said, what tools you pack will often reflect your mechanical skills and/or desire to work in you bike if it breaks down.

A credit card is also an essential tool to carry.....
LOL at the credit card.  agreed.  I am learning more and more about the bike.  I have pretty good maintenance skills when it comes to autos, but still learning motorcycles.  that being said, I don't mind doing a lot of the work myself. 
definitely thinking about

tire patch/plug kit

air compressor

jump-start battery pack

Hex head driver/set
screw drivers(phillips/straight)

I need to figure out the nuances of chain tightening and slack management and keeping the back tire straight in all that so not to damage chain/sprockets

• Premium Member
For setting chain, get a Motion Pro chain alignment tool; about $15. Clamps on to rear sprocket and aids in setting alignment. Once set, if adjustment is needed, go by turning each side adjuster bolt same number of "flats". Each "flat" is 60 degrees. Turn 2 or 3 flats on one side, then the same number on the other. Check chain slack. Repeat as needed.

I personally think Yamaha's slack speck is a bit tight; just over 1/2 in IIRC. I keep mine about 1 - 1.25 in.

Home improvement stores sell an empty tool roll for about $20 allowing you to build your own kit.  

I use a piece of 1/4-20 all-thread rod with a nut and washer on each end that I stack a set of 1/4 in drive sockets on (8, 10, 12 and 14mm), a 6 function multi screwdriver and various hex bits, and Gear wrench racheting box wrenches. Couple tire irons too.

• Supporting Member
My tool kit contains all the tools I need to do general maintenance, including removing wheels and tires, along with a "Stop-n-go" air compressor, tire patches and plugs.  
Agreed. Have tools available to do general routine maintenance, remove wheels as listed above, as well as adjust handlebars and get under the tank if needed. 

A credit card card was listed, but I also carry cash in my tank bag in case of an emergency.  I’ve had $200 in there for over 8 years, I hope I never have to use it. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My cbr 600 f4. I changed hard ware on it so there were less sizes of bolt heads to carry less tools. And I made my own tool rool for the wrenchs. I changee enough and carried about very little tools. But I could drop the motor on the side of the road if I wanted too. And I had a 2 small bags. One for daily. Then another I would add for long travel. The chain breaker and spare links. The cable lube tool would be in the travel bag.

Tools that serve double duty are nice. A screw driver that holds bits in the handle.
I have this.
https://store.snapon.com/Complete-Screwdrivers-Ratcheting-Soft-Grip-Standard-Green-Screwdriver-P643057.aspx

I carry these https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0420

For a good tool kit you need to work on the bike alot and know what it needs.

Most sockets kits have 11mm stuff. I have had vechiles that had nothing 11mm on them.

• Premium Member
Here are a few pics of my tool kit. The roll is from Road Crafter, which is no longer in business.   Along with a close up of the socket stack on the all-thread.

20180821_194118.jpg20180821_194122.jpg

I was working on replacing my front tire (original). Didn't have the 14mm hex, so made my own.  2 shouldered nuts threaded back-to-back on a bolt. Then welded to the bolt and each other. Then cut off the excess, file and brush and viola! Hex tool! Not sure why but my front axle was WAY tight! Well over 90 lb/ft. Broke my first attempted hex tool (v2.0 pictured).  I was victorious!  And the tool is small enough to keep in the kit!

20180821_204502.jpg20180821_204507_001.jpg20180821_210737.jpg

How are you guys carrying the tools to remove the back wheel? Mine is torqued to spec so it needs a breaker bar to remove that.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
How are you guys carrying the tools to remove the back wheel? Mine is torqued to spec so it needs a breaker bar to remove that.

I tighten my axle nuts hand tight with a ratchet.  I have never torqued them to spec on any bike I have ever owned in 40+ years of riding.  Street bikes, dirtbikes, all hand tight.  YMMV.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Motorcycles are very reliable today:  there is usually no need to fool with fueling or ignition.  When I go on overnight trips I carry a tire patch kit consisting of plugs, CO2 cartridges, and a hand air pump.  Otherwise, I can solve any problem with my iPhone and a credit card.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Agreed. There’s really not a lot you can fix on the side of the road anymore. Plug a tire, jumpstart, extra fuel, maybe chain adjust/lube and tire pressures.

That said, you guys packing tools also need to include 3, 4, 5, and 6mm Allen sockets/wrenches/bits or whatever form you choose. Can’t take the fairing off and put the tank up without them.

-Skip

I carry enough tools to take apart anything that isn't internal, when I do cross country rides. I even carried a 1/2 ratchet in my tool roll for the rear axle.

JB Weld is a good one to carry with you, at least from my experience. When I had a steel bracket break near the cluster, I used that to fix the issue temporarily.

Rope or ratcheting rope is small and useful.

When I bottomed out my FJ on asphalt 50 miles away from civilization and cracked my oil pan open, I almost hi temp JB welded it (temporary fix to get me back home and stop the leak) because the dealership I was towed to would not help me. At one point, they were going to overnight the oil pan and then give me the part to put on myself. I think I had everything I needed to put it on, so I was glad I had all my tools.

That said, you guys packing tools also need to include 3, 4, 5, and 6mm Allen sockets/wrenches/bits or whatever form you choose. Can’t take the fairing off and put the tank up without them.
^This^ 
I think the body work can be stripped with just the 4mm no?

'15 FJ09

Wow, I pack no where near as many tools as most of you guys. The FJ under seat selection of tools is weak though.

I bring these

https://www.heamar.co.uk/33676-thickbox_default/stahlwille-96400306-41252-doe-double-open-ended-spanner-sets.jpg

And these

https://media.rs-online.com/t_large/F8126273-01.jpg

And a few other things.

If I need to change a tire then I also need a tire and I am not packing that, see a lot of people do it though.

Archived