Scorpion Serket Taper Stainless slip-on

captainscarlet

Today I have fitted the Serket Taper stainless slip-on from Scorpion to my Tracer:

https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/yamaha-mt-09-tracer-2015-2016-serket-taper-slip-on-serket-taper-stainless-steel

I plumped for the Scorpion because they are one of the few exhaust manufacturers that develop and dyno all their exhausts for bike specific application.  Also, the slip-on is homologated here in the EU which means it will pass an MOT (Besiktning here in Sweden).

I'm afraid I haven't taken any pictures of the fitting process but Scorpion offer comprehensive instructions via the website above.  I just followed the instructions to the letter and everything went as described.  The can and other components are extremely well made and I understand why Scorpion can offer a lifetime guarantee.  

Fitting the can requires cutting the original exhaust system, which involves getting it off the bike.  Having read reports elsewhere I initially tried to do this with the centre stand still in place.  However they must have had the skills of Houdini because I just couldn't fathom how to get the thing out with the stand in place.  So as per the instructions I took the stand out (no mean feat given the strength of the spring  shocked.png ).  Once the stand was out of the way the original exhaust could be removed with ease.

The original exhaust needs to be cut immediately in front of the silencer box.  There is a weld seam at this point and I just cut along the middle of that.  This leaves about 15mm of pipe behind the O2 sensor where the new Scorpion connecting pipe attaches.  I used an angle grinder to make the cut taking care to try and keep the cut-line as square as possible.  Once the cut was made I deburred all the edges and got everything nice and smooth.  The Scorpion connecting pipe is cleverly constructed with an inner and outer wall and fits very snugly over the Tracer's existing pipe.

With the original downpipes off the bike I made the mistake of cleaning a small area and ended up sanding and polishing the whole lot!  Once they were looking all bling again it was time to fit everything to the bike.  Working from front to back I first fitted the downpipes, reusing the gaskets as they were in good nick and at this stage just loosely fastening the header bolts.  Next I refitted the O2 sensor adding the hook ring washer supplied by Scorpion to which one of the supplied exhaust springs attaches.

Next I fitted the supplied bracket that holds the can in place.  This makes use of the holes and bolts used to hold the original silencer box in place.  After that I slid the supplied connecting pipe into the silencer and offered the whole thing up to the bike to get an idea of how to angle and rotate the can and connecting pipe so that everything would line up.  After that it was a bit of jiggery pokery to get everything into final position, but once in place everything sat firmly and securely and square.  That done I tightened all the bolts from front to back starting with the header bolts.  Torque settings for the various bolts as follows:

- Header bolts[span]    =[span]    20Nm
- Exhaust bracket[span]    = [span]    20Nm
- Centre stand[span]    =[span]    48Nm

With that done I attached the three supplied exhaust springs, one from the connecting pipe forward to the O2 sensor and two backwards from the connecting pipe to the silencer.  Then on with the centre stand and refitting of the centre stand spring which was a real git but eventually after much grunting and groaning ended up in place.  Resisting the temptation to fire up the bike immediately I got some warm soapy water and washed the pipes and slip-on down to avoid burning in any greasy finger marks.

The can sounds fantastic with a really nice deep burble without being ridiculously loud.  There is a dB killer which can be removed, I've yet to try that.  Not managed a ride yet either as the weather has been appalling.  Hopefully I will be able to rectify that tomorrow.

I've included a few pictures below to give an idea of what it looks like on the bike and how things go together.

[/span][/span][/span][/span][/span][/span]
IMG_20180824_172153.jpg

IMG_20180824_172213.jpg
Newly polished downpipes.  Took a while but it was worth it.

IMG_20180824_194943.jpg
New connecting pipe slips on just behind O2 sensor.

IMG_20180824_194951.jpg
Can slides onto connecting pipe.

IMG_20180824_195006.jpg
Bracket holding the can in place.

A few shots showing the can from different angles to give a feel for how it fits in with the bike:

IMG_20180824_195023.jpg

IMG_20180824_195032.jpg

IMG_20180824_195043.jpg

IMG_20180824_195053.jpg

CS
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 2

Very nice job there, Cap'n!   Just looking at the coolant reservoir in your pic above reminded me that it's not that easy to see the water level in it.   I imagine that many here may have coloured anti-freeze coolant, but such is not necessary here in Oz.   So I simply added a few drops of my wife's food colouring collection (blue, but any will do) on the basis that if it's OK to consume it cannot harm the bike's innards!   Made it so much easier to check the level at a single glance.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Does anyone have a source to purchase this slip-on in the USA? Every time I search online I get results for the FZ09 which I assume is a different pipe due to the lack of center stand.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Does anyone have a source to purchase this slip-on in the USA? Every time I search online I get results for the FZ09 which I assume is a different pipe due to the lack of center stand.

the slip on in question is primarily an EU compliant product...

part number RYA101SEO

USA retailer- https://www.tawperformance.com... you will have to email em it looks like, they just show what brands they sell...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
the slip on in question is primarily an EU compliant product...

part number RYA101SEO

USA retailer- https://www.tawperformance.com... you will have to email em it looks like, they just show what brands they sell...

Thank You, much appreciated.

According to the Scorpion website the part nos. for the Tracer/FJ are as follows: 
- RYA101SEO (The last three letters change depending on what finish you want on the slip-on)
- Fitting Kit, RYA 101 Z039.10567

The part nos. for the MT/FZ are not the same and looking at the pics on Scorpion's website the slip-on for the MT/FZ comes out under the swingarm at a slightly different angle.

For additional info I paid £329 for the slip-on which is $426 at the current rate of exchange. That price also includes 20% VAT so pre tax price should be around $340. Shipping from UK to Sweden was an additional £17 and delivery time was 5 working days.

CS

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
According to the Scorpion website the part nos. for the Tracer/FJ are as follows: 
- RYA101SEO (The last three letters change depending on what finish you want on the slip-on)
- Fitting Kit, RYA 101 Z039.10567

The part nos. for the MT/FZ are not the same and looking at the pics on Scorpion's website the slip-on for the MT/FZ comes out under the swingarm at a slightly different angle.

For additional info I paid £329 for the slip-on which is $426 at the current rate of exchange. That price also includes 20% VAT so pre tax price should be around $340. Shipping from UK to Sweden was an additional £17 and delivery time was 5 working days.

CS

Thanks for the heads-up on this exhaust option.  I ordered the titanium slip-on this morning. 

It was actually cheaper to order from the UK and pay international shipping than to buy from a US distributor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

I got mine installed today, VERY high quality fit and finish and fairly straight forward installation.  The instructions are hit and miss and leave a lot to trial and error.

When I cut the bulbous catalyst section from the header I weighed it at around 13 lbs as opposed to the Scorpion mid pipe and silencer at 2.5 lbs.

Upon starting the bike (after cleaning any greasy fingerprints) the first thing I noticed is (with the baffle in) it isn't too much louder than stock, however the tone is much deeper, like listening to your stereo and then turning up the subwoofer.  No droning sound on the interstate, once up to speed with traffic, I didn't even notice the exhaust note.  I have no intention of running it with the baffle out (I have to co-exist with neighbors) but may try it briefly, just because.

One thing I didn't expect was the improved throttle response, (I noticed this as soon as I took off, before getting out of the cul-de-sac) I'm not sure if there is much more power than stock but the bike seems to rev quicker and much more immediate.  The throttle even seems to turn easier, -prior to installing the slip-on I was getting ready to lube or replace the throttle cables, it felt like there was a fair bit of resistance when turning the throttle, now it feels like the bike is uncorked and very free flowing.

Lighter weight, deeper exhaust note, more streamlined appearance, quicker throttle response and it didn't break the bank - I'm pleased with the Scorpion.

Scorpion-2.jpgScorpion-1.jpg

I got mine installed today, VERY high quality fit and finish and fairly straight forward installation.  The instructions are hit and miss and leave a lot to trial and error.

What was is it you found hit and miss?  I thought the instructions were nice and clear.  The only thing I thought was a fiddle was getting everything lined up so the silencer bolted to the bracket. 
The red ring in the end of the can goes very nicely with your red Tracer.  That's the only thing I would change, if I could get a lovely Yamaha blue plastic ring.  I wonder if I could paint it....

CS 

That's the only thing I would change, if I could get a lovely Yamaha blue plastic ring.  I wonder if I could paint it....

To be honest that is the thing holding me back from purchasing one for myself. I had contacted Scorpion to see if they were planning on launching the model with different ring options but they said no. 

• Supporting Member
IMG_20180824_172213.jpg Newly polished downpipes.  Took a while but it was worth it.

Wow... That looks great! May I ask how you got them looking so nice? Any special tips, tricks, or products you recommend?

Thanks in advance! That Scorpion looks fantastic, but I’m keeping the stock exhaust for now.
-Scott