Scorpion Serket Taper Stainless slip-on

captainscarlet

• Supporting Member

I got mine installed today, VERY high quality fit and finish and fairly straight forward installation.  The instructions are hit and miss and leave a lot to trial and error.

What was is it you found hit and miss?  I thought the instructions were nice and clear.  The only thing I thought was a fiddle was getting everything lined up so the silencer bolted to the bracket. 

The first thing I found misleading was the step to cut the pipe 15mm back from the O2 sensor weld, there isn’t 15mm available before the weld, mine was maybe 8-9mm at most, I was very concerned that I would screw something up horribly if I cut it that short, but it fits. 

The biggest hinderance for me was the black bracket, from the line drawing I couldn’t tell which way it was supposed to go, no matter how I turned it around it didn’t fit with the silencer, it wasn’t even close, I had to bent it a fair bit for the holes to line up so I could get the bolt through. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The first thing I found misleading was the step to cut the pipe 15mm back from the O2 sensor weld, there isn’t 15mm available before the weld, mine was maybe 8-9mm at most, I was very concerned that I would screw something up horribly if I cut it that short, but it fits. 
I think it all depends on the thickness of the weld.  I decided to cut in the middle of the weld seam, literally right against the silencer box.  I was able to get a straight cut but was left with quite a bite of material to remove.  Still with an angle grinder that was accomplished fairly quickly and I achieved a nice smooth surface for the Scorpion connecting pipe to slide onto.  If I remember correctly I think I was left with just shy of 15 mm to the O2 sensor. 

The biggest hinderance for me was the black bracket, from the line drawing I couldn’t tell which way it was supposed to go, no matter how I turned it around it didn’t fit with the silencer, it wasn’t even close, I had to bent it a fair bit for the holes to line up so I could get the bolt through. 
I must confess I was also stood there at one point, holding the bracket and thinking that they must have sent the wrong one by mistake.  However what I did, as I alluded to in the original post, was that I offered everything up the bike first to get everything lined up.  I fitted the bracket first but just loosely so it could rotate/swing in its mounting.  Once I'd got the silencer and connecting pipe at the right angles everything lined up nicely.  I did not need to bend the bracket at all.  The tricky part is being able to rotate the connecting pipe if necessary as it is very snug (which is good) on the downpipe. 
CS

Wow... That looks great! May I ask how you got them looking so nice? Any special tips, tricks, or products you recommend?  
Thanks in advance! That Scorpion looks fantastic, but I’m keeping the stock exhaust for now.
-Scott
Well I started with Autosol but realised very quickly that I needed more oomph.  So I went to town with a relatively fine grit sand paper.  Can't remember exactly what grit, I think maybe 400.  After that I used a cloth polishing wheel and metal polish block in my compressor driven handheld polishing wheel.  This allowed me to get into most of the tight spots along the pipes.  After that I went over everything by hand with the Autosol to bring out the final finish. 
No real tricks, just elbow grease.

CS

• Supporting Member
All good to know... how much pipe overlap do you think you managed to get?  

Never mind...  8-9mm is right in your post. squint.png

Here are some photos

The ultra high quality mid-pipe

MidPipe1.jpg

My header after cleaning it up with a grinding wheel and a Dremel tool

MidPipe2.jpg

OEM header with mid-pipe installed

MidPipe3.jpg

• Supporting Member
I decided to cut in the middle of the weld seam, literally right against the silencer box.  I was able to get a straight cut but was left with quite a bite of material to remove.  Still with an angle grinder that was accomplished fairly quickly and I achieved a nice smooth surface for the Scorpion connecting pipe to slide onto. 

I originally cut it as close to the silencer box as well but there was so much extra material to remove, I cut it again on the other side of the weld.

Original cut

Header.jpg

Finished, ready to install

MidPipe2.jpg

• Supporting Member
SOLD! Thank you Sir. I like this pipe and the sound, and the red collar looks great.

The cheapest I found was through Adrenalin Pedstop in the U.K.

I paid $415 + $46 Shipping + a $14 international transaction fee through my bank, right at $475.

I checked Cycle Gear and Revzilla, both sell it for $570 + $50 sales tax, yes, Revzilla charges sales tax now for Washington residents.

Once the order was processed and I got an email shipping notification, it was at my doorstep within 5 days.

• Supporting Member

The cheapest I found was through Adrenalin Pedstop in the U.K.

I paid $415 + $46 Shipping + a $14 international transaction fee through my bank, right at $475.

I checked Cycle Gear and Revzilla, both sell it for $570 + $50 sales tax, yes, Revzilla charges sales tax now for Washington residents.

Once the order was processed and I got an email shipping notification, it was at my doorstep within 5 days.

Not bad at $716CAD (delivered)... full $200CAD cheaper than sourcing through local distributor ($915CAD delivered)... unless Customs decides to make an example out of me.

Right on!!  Treat yourself to an early Christmas.

• Supporting Member
Right on!!  Treat yourself to an early Christmas. 

LOL... gotta pace myself, so not sure this will fly in time for the big BD. Shock and fork valve/shim/seal hardware coming. Sometime before next spring though. Reminds me... block-off plates!

You definitely have the right idea there, suspension comes first!

Which shock do you have your eye on?

I have been in contact with Scorpion about the possibility of being able to paint the red ring on the end of the silencer.  It would look the biz if I could get it Yamaha blue.  This is their response, which may be of interest to others who have a Scorpion can but a non-red Tracer:

The red ring in the outlet is actually metal that’s been coated, it’s a push fit so can be removed but you’d need to be very careful not to damage the outlet cap if attempting this.  We send them away to be painted so not sure if it’s something you could do yourself.

I'm not sure I'm willing to risk the beautifully made exhaust with my ham-fisted attempts to prise the ring out....not yet at least. Still don't let that stop anybody else giving it a go.  :P

CS

• 2 months later...

Just got my Scorpion in the mail. I am gonna wait until the riding season, so I can do a video comparison of a before and after, for sound and fit/finish.

Looks like a quality product, can't wait for the snow to melt in Edmonton.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, marcuso said:

motostarz.ca   best price and good responsive service.  Delivered in about 3 weeks

They don't even list Scorpion exhaust for the FJ-09/MT-09😕

https://motostarz.ca/collections/fj-09-mt-09-tracer/department_exhaust

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

On 1/22/2019 at 5:05 AM, fddriver2 said:

They don't even list Scorpion exhaust for the FJ-09/MT-09😕

https://motostarz.ca/collections/fj-09-mt-09-tracer/department_exhaust

Viper6 on youtube gave me the lead and the part number. He said it works, and fits the bike with the centre stand. I emailed them, got a quick response. Placed the order when I called them. They don't stock them, and have to order them in. I'll get the info.   for the FJ-09, in carbon fibre, it would be the RYA101CEO

Edited by marcuso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...