Scorpion Serket Taper Stainless slip-on

captainscarlet

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, Tripletrouble said:

With regards to sound, is this a lot noisier?  I've had enough of loud exhausts, they're great bombing around locally, but tiring on a longer trip out.  I find the stock looks great, but a throatier meatier sound is what I'm looking for.. 

I run mine with the baffle in and it is a nice deeper tone. I don’t notice it on longer rides, if I am over 50 mph I can’t hear the engine or exhaust anymore, just the whoosh of the air. 

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Spotted a small rust patch on OEM exhaust when cleaning yesterday. Decided this is a sign that it will fail imminently. Applied man logic.

…ordered Ti version 😎

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 6

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, BBB said:

...ordered Ti version 😎

You’re killing me, @BBB!  I think this leaves me as the last holdout in the ‘stock exhaust is fine’ camp.   

Must.  Resist.  Feeling weak... 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

You’re killing me, @BBB!  I think this leaves me as the last holdout in the ‘stock exhaust is fine’ camp.   

Must.  Resist.  Feeling weak... 

The red ring on the exhaust outlet matches the red bike very nicely... just sayin’ 😎

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/24/2019 at 6:00 PM, BBB said:

Spotted a small rust patch on OEM exhaust when cleaning yesterday. Decided this is a sign that it will fail imminently. Applied man logic.

…ordered Ti version 😎

When you fit this, would you mind measuring the internal end of the link pipe that goes onto can ? Thanks. 

• Supporting Member
On 10/23/2018 at 11:50 AM, captainscarlet said:

I have been in contact with Scorpion about the possibility of being able to paint the red ring on the end of the silencer.  It would look the biz if I could get it Yamaha blue.  This is their response, which may be of interest to others who have a Scorpion can but a non-red Tracer:

The red ring in the outlet is actually metal that’s been coated, it’s a push fit so can be removed but you’d need to be very careful not to damage the outlet cap if attempting this.  We send them away to be painted so not sure if it’s something you could do yourself.

I'm not sure I'm willing to risk the beautifully made exhaust with my ham-fisted attempts to prise the ring out....not yet at least. Still don't let that stop anybody else giving it a go.  :P

CS

To those who dont like the red ring on the outlet, do you think it possible to mask it off and use a fine modeling brush with high temp black paint?  Might be worth considering.

As far as them producing other colors... consider their company logo/slogan -  "Blurple Power" just doesnt have the same effect.

Scorpion_red_power_Logo.jpg

• Haha 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

consider their company logo/slogan -  "Blurple Power" just doesnt have the same effect.

Googled ‘Blurple Power’ and was not disappointed... 

47A67731-A09D-4EEE-A875-4671117F3499.jpeg.c105e70dbde44509c569d791387f036e.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2019 at 3:16 PM, betoney said:

To those who dont like the red ring on the outlet, do you think it possible to mask it off and use a fine modeling brush with high temp black paint?  Might be worth considering.

As far as them producing other colors... consider their company logo/slogan -  "Blurple Power" just doesnt have the same effect.

Scorpion_red_power_Logo.jpg

I just ordered an akrapovic instead. If you mask it off it will most likely show. Since scorpion insist on using the red ring they can enjoy continuing to sell to black and red bikes only ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it’s finally on, but did not go well 😥

Despite soaking nuts in penetrating spray for three days in advance, none of the nuts holding the headers came off. Five unscrewed the studs and one stud sheared off, leaving about a centimetre outside the cylinder head. A mechanic friend and I tried every stud extracting tool available, borrowed Snap-On tools from my local (very friendly) motorbike dealer, induction heat machines on the stud and nothing worked.

So, today I welded an alignment jig that screwed onto the adjacent studs and we drilled and tapped through the broken stud and then ground it flush. I now have five M8 Yamaha studs and one M6 stud.🤪

All back together, new coolant and oil, very shiny headers as I took the opportunity to clean them, and a surprisingly deep and noisy new exhaust.

I ride all year round and the UK uses a lot of salt on the roads. I would advise anyone who rides in similar conditions to see if they can loosen the header nuts and retighten them....or leave them well alone! 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

I managed to get 120 miles of riding with the new exhaust today and it’s way louder than I expected. Small children ran crying to their mothers; sheep leapt hedges to escape the noise; one young woman’s booty liquified with the sound waves and ran down her shorts. I can’t imagine what it would be like with the dB killer removed!

Above 60 and with no walls around it’s fine; a deep but noticeably louder tone and above legal speeds the wind noise takes over. But, drop into third gear and surround yourself with trees or stone walls and the volume is very high. I’m hoping that as it builds up a carbon layer inside things may quieten a bit. Mine is the titanium end can version, but that shouldn’t make a lot of difference. At least it passed it’s annual road test with no comment.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

As we say here in the colonies...

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES...  (though probably not yours;)

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Duke said:

I’d love to find one of these from a stateside vendor at a reasonable price.

When I ordered mine from the UK, it was considerably cheaper than any place I found in the US. 

43 minutes ago, betoney said:

When I ordered mine from the UK, it was considerably cheaper than any place I found in the US. 

Do you remember who you ordered it from?

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.