FJ-09 or R1200GS

Hi,
Thinking about an fj. Previously rode GS's, loved them but had to sell due to divorce/finance. Ready to buy a new bike. I never ride off road and ride to work on the PA turnpike but also like twisty roads on the weekend rides to MD. The GS was always comfortable for long and short rides & had  great wind protection, which is important on the highway. I keep reading about the lack of wind protection on the fj., and thats making me think twice.  I really like the idea of less weight but that can also effect the highway ride, when smaller lighter bikes can get blown around by big rigs. I would like to save the cash and get the fj but don't want to regret it. Any Thoughts? Anyone ride or have both?

• Premium Member
Hi

I have done 120 miles on my Tracer (the UK name for the bike) in the last few days. The bike has decent wind protection provided by an adjustable screen and half fairing. The wind protection is very similar to that provided by my last 2 bikes which were a Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere and a BMW R1150GS. The screen on the FJ is miles better than the one on the 1150GS but I never rode a 1200GS so cannot give a comparison.

The FJ makes similar power to the 1200cc Super Tenere and a bit less than the latest water cooled versions of the BMW R1200GS. The FJ is 60kg lighter than the Super Tenere and in real world terms, seems quicker as the power to weight ratio is so much better.

I don't know where you have read about a lack of wind protection but can only assume it is from riders used to fully faired machines like RT & FJR tourers.

I have also in the past owned a TDM850 and I would say the Tracer/FJ is like a modern, lighter, faster, cheaper TDM and will be very capable at touring vast distances, commuting in rural or urban settings and just being great fun to ride.

I've certainly had some fun and had big smiles travelling on some familiar twisty roads in the last few days.

Buy the FJ. The R1200GS is a great bike but will cost nearly twice as much when you add luggage etc. You will also have that niggle in the back of your mind about whether you have one of BMW's troublesome bikes. The poor reliability of BMWs bikes in the last decade or more has been what put me off having another one after the very reliable R1150GS.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Hi, Thinking about an fj. Previously rode GS's, loved them but had to sell due to divorce/finance. Ready to buy a new bike. I never ride off road and ride to work on the PA turnpike but also like twisty roads on the weekend rides to MD. The GS was always comfortable for long and short rides & had  great wind protection, which is important on the highway. I keep reading about the lack of wind protection on the fj., and thats making me think twice.  I really like the idea of less weight but that can also effect the highway ride, when smaller lighter bikes can get blown around by big rigs. I would like to save the cash and get the fj but don't want to regret it. Any Thoughts? Anyone ride or have both?

You answered your own question. "I never ride off road". Do you want a bike that was designed to be a good compromise between on and off road ability, or one that was designed to excel on concrete? Also, liking the twisties means the FJ is for you.  
I was thinking about a BMW, but then I started to add up all of the accessories and had a "no way" moment. Made the right move.

Of course, take all comments with a grain of salt, because we all love our FJ's and are super biased ;)

If you liked the GS you may want to expand your shopping list to include the Super Tenere. Divorce can be hard on finances and the BMW's are not cheap to buy or own. I have considered them and test rode the latest water cooled boxer before buying the Super Tenere ES. I also have the FJ-09 and if I had to choose one that would be a real easy choice, the Super Tenere. It has better ergonomics for a tall guy (6'2"), super comfortable, handles extremely well, has less vibration (I am as surprised as anyone by this), and does just fine when you get into the twisties. Having electronic suspension and cruise is really nice.

The FJ-09 is quite a bit lighter and better in the tight stuff but it is not nearly as desirable as the Super Tenere. A test ride on your short list is definitely in order.

Guest eatpasta
One GS or three FJ's?

lol8_zpsga4gz4fr.gif

I rode an 1150 for ten years and loved it - but the cost of entry for the new GS's man is just astronomical.  When my 1150 took a crap I looked around for a used 2002 like mine and the cheapest replacement was about $9K.  It seems they went UP in value during the period that I owned them hence the reason for my current FJR which was $2k less and seven years newer.
    Honestly, even more as much as I love the GS - I would rather have 3 FJ's for essentially the same amount of money.  Or one FJ and a lot of money in the bank.

Probably the only things the FJ wont do that the GS will is the GS will haul dammed near ANYTHING.    I had refrigerators on mine, firewood, a 50" TV once....plus a pillion - it does not care.
Also the FJ doesnt have the off road prowess that the GS does but how many people are taking their GS off road anyways?
      I beat the crap out of mine off road and man - there are tricky - and very dammed heavy.

Archived