My impressions at 1,500 miles of use

• Premium Member
I have had the 900 GT for about three weeks and 1500 miles.  Here are some of my current thoughts.

I like this bike very much.
Fantastic engine.
I like the TFT display, both the image quality and the amount of information displayed.  Well done.
I like the data display of "gallons used", a neat add to a trip odometer.
Great saddlebags.
Engine vibrations getting better (or I am getting used to the slight vibes).
Cruise control and heated grips are great.
I am getting used to the cobalt colored wheels, didn't like them at first, but they are growing on me.
Good gas mileage and range to a tank of gas.
The quick shifter is great.
It handles the Colorado canyon roads.  Fun.

The OEM seat was uncomfortable, the Yamaha Comfort seat is better but still not good enough, I will get something else.
The windscreen is ok, it seemed turbulent the first day, perhaps I am getting used to this also.
I wish the cruise control worked in 3rd gear, the engine is pretty smooth at 6k RPM, could use CC in 3rd.
The menu thumb wheel is too hard to push in, half the time I push it in, I rotate it unintentionally.
I wish the quick shifter worked for downshift also.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. The windshield is way way better with the chin bar vent closed. Like night and day for me at 5’10”
The menu wheel is almost crunchy, but gettin better.
I have the CalSCI Shorty and it blows the stocker out of the water. No pun intended. The stock shield is very turbulent for me. I had the windshield off up until i bought the CALSCI.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

I agree. The windshield is way way better with the chin bar vent closed. Like night and day for me at 5’10”
The menu wheel is almost crunchy, but gettin better.
I have the CalSCI Shorty and it blows the stocker out of the water. No pun intended. The stock shield is very turbulent for me. I had the windshield off up until i bought the CALSCI.

I thought of removing it. I will DEFINITELY look into the shorty. It’s inexpensive too.

What's the chin bar vent? Or are you talking about the vent on your helmet?
I think your review is spot on. My GT is about 3 weeks old and I have about 2500 miles on it.
I got the Yamaha touring windshield on mine and like it in the 'up' position.
In the 'down' position I was getting some buffeting. I'm about 5' 9".
I also got the Yamaha luggage rack which works with a large dry bag when put lengthwise on the back seat.
The jury is still out on the stock seat. I want to put a couple more 400 mile days on it before I decide whether to keep it or look for something different.

I have about 1800 on mine, and I'm still rocking it with windscreen delete status. I'm holding out for the puig when it comes out. Seems like I'm in the minority but the seat is fine for me. Maybe it's because compared to the FZ10 it's more comfortable. I have the FZ set up for me at 230lbs so the suspension is quite stiff compared to the tracer. However, I pretty much just commute on mine so it's only 30 miles each way. The 1 time so far I that I rode it all day (200+ miles) I don't remember it bothering me much. Looking forward to lower temps, I haven't even switch ed on the heated grips to see if they work haha. No need in SoCal!

• Premium Member
My biggest problem with the OEM seat is that it tilts forward and pushes me up into the tank, it also places me on the smallest part of the seat, with the least area for support.  The Comfort seat is better in this area also but not good enough.

If the shape of the Comfort seat was level, it would probably be ok.  My issue is not a question of cushion.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

What's the chin bar vent? Or are you talking about the vent on your helmet? I think your review is spot on. My GT is about 3 weeks old and I have about 2500 miles on it.
I got the Yamaha touring windshield on mine and like it in the 'up' position.
In the 'down' position I was getting some buffeting. I'm about 5' 9".
I also got the Yamaha luggage rack which works with a large dry bag when put lengthwise on the back seat.
The jury is still out on the stock seat. I want to put a couple more 400 mile days on it before I decide whether to keep it or look for something different.

Helmet chin vent closed quiets it down big time. For me anyway. Shield in the up position.

Ok thanks.
A couple of things I did yesterday was to fine adjust the settings on the grip warmers. Riding in the cool temps of the NM mountains I found the low setting too low and the medium setting too high. Nice to have the fine adjustment. I also changed the groupings in the 4 display setting to better see what info was important to me. Nice feature.

• Premium Member
More observations at 1500 miles.

The "gallons used" info on the display is about 10% low, when it says I've used 2.0 gallons I can put 2.2 gallons in the tank. When it says 3.0 gallons used I can put 3.3 gallons in the tank. I've checked this eight or ten times and it repeats at around 10%.

The MPG displayed is also about 10% optimistic, consistent with the 10% off on the "gallons used". 57 mpg by the computer is about 52 mpg using actuals gallons and miles used.

Too bad it's off, but it is consistent and predictable.

Today I found one more item: the trip odometer said 210 miles traveled and the GPS said 200 miles traveled. Wha't with 10% again? Should we change the nick name of this bike from "goo" to "10%"?

The speedometer is almost spot on with the GPS, only 1 mph faster than the GPS. That's pretty good.

I don't see these as issues, just learning the bike.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Hmm, I ride using Waze and the indicated speed is always within 1 or 2 MPH (usually cruising at 80-85mph) with the speed shown on my phone. As well as it's the same odometer trip count as my other bike during my exact same commute route. I hadn't noticed if it's incorrect.

I also noticed the gallons consumed is off from what I'm pumping in. Just filled up on the way home from work tonight, added 4.2 gallons, bike said I used 3.8 I think it was.

57mpg? Damn, I'm averaging 43 indicated on the bikes computer haha. That's what 85+mph for 30 miles each way every day will get you!

I thought the same thing about the fuel consumed. I even put the bike on the center stand twice to level the tank and filled at the same mileage and none of the times did the same fuel go in to the top of the tank. All that nonsense is just a gimmick. Is it all close? Yes. But I drive a $40,000 truck that’s never right so I guess I can’t expect a $13,000 Motorcycle to do any better. Now the distance traveled I’ll will investigate since you said it and thanks to my OCD.

The "gallons used" info on the display is about 10% low, when it says I've used 2.0 gallons I can put 2.2 gallons in the tank. When it says 3.0 gallons used I can put 3.3 gallons in the tank. I've checked this eight or ten times and it repeats at around 10%.

The MPG displayed is also about 10% optimistic, consistent with the 10% off on the "gallons used". 57 mpg by the computer is about 52 mpg using actuals gallons and miles used.

Today I found one more item: the trip odometer said 210 miles traveled and the GPS said 200 miles traveled. Wha't with 10% again? Should we change the nick name of this bike from "goo" to "10%"?

The speedometer is almost spot on with the GPS, only 1 mph faster than the GPS. That's pretty good.

I don't think it's 10% low. I believe that's the indicator for what you have in the "reserve" tank which the regular fuel gauge is not including. It was like that on my FJR and stryker as well. I'm getting about 52MPG on the highway on the GT. I'm not complaining at all! :)
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

• Supporting Member

I don't think it's 10% low. I believe that's the indicator for what you have in the "reserve" tank which the regular fuel gauge is not including. It was like that on my FJR and stryker as well. I'm getting about 52MPG on the highway on the GT. I'm not complaining at all! smiley.png

I find the exact same results on my '15.  The difference between the what the gauge lists as FUEL AVG and real world math is almost 10% every fill-up.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived