My impressions at 1,500 miles of use

I think the issue with narrower bars could be clearance with the gas tank when at full turn.  It might work, but then again it might not.  I agree that a narrower bar and more bend would be better.  We'll just need to make sure we don't have incompatibility.  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I think the issue with narrower bars could be clearance with the gas tank when at full turn.  It might work, but then again it might not.  I agree that a narrower bar and more bend would be better.  We'll just need to make sure we don't have incompatibility.  
8-A455-A94-1-B2-D-4-C3-D-9-FC9-B5-E252820-FE3.jpgFF33-B55-F-7-E1-C-4-D47-A8-E4-25-E1-FA8-BF394.jpg

2 inches or more narrow  (when you add the remove the guards as well) than stock and 1/4 clearance from the clutch bolt to the tank dressing. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

a quick 400 mile ride through Arizona mountains yesterday was enjoyable except for some wrist pain. 
As far as the wrist pain is concerned, I am considering bar risers, just not sure how much I can raise them without longer cables and wires. I'm 63 and 6'0".

Instead of adding bar risers to make the bar taller have you thought of different bars with a more comfortable bend? I don’t like my bars to be wide and straight, usually get narrower bars with more pull back to give my wrists a more natural bend, I also angle my levers downward a bit, inline with my arms, so my wrists aren’t unnaturally bent. 
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think my problem is with the bend or the width, they feel comfortable enough when riding but I'm putting too much weight on my wrists. If the bars had more rise I'd sit more upright and not lean on my wrists so much, I know that's not really the 'sport touring' attitude but comfort is kinda important for me. I will try rotating the levers down a bit.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

• Premium Member
2000 miles on my GT now and I'm very happy with it......... enjoyable except for some wrist pain. 
As far as the wrist pain is concerned, I am considering bar risers, just not sure how much I can raise them without longer cables and wires. I'm 63 and 6'0".

Does using the cruise control reduce the wrist pain?  Is the pain more on the right wrist than the left?  I ask this because that was my experience on an '08 FJR I had a few years back.  Meaning, the right wrist was a problem but the problem went away when I installed cruise control on that bike (it was not standard then).  I used the CC enough to give my wrist a break.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Yes, more pain in my right wrist than left, and I do use the cruise a lot. Even with cruise engaged I still hold the handgrip. I have Tusk 15mm risers on order that I will try.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

• Premium Member
Well, I have 2,500 miles now on 2019 GT after getting it Sep 1. I came from several R1's and so didnt get it for the sporty engine, just wanted an all-around great bike. Today, I kept it in A-mode and found the 1 thing I was missing: quick takeoffs and acceleration. My MPG's are dropping I'm sure, got 40 on the last tank but I'm loving this thing even more now. Woohoo...

• 1 month later...

I think that seat slanting forward is an issue with most bikes except maybe cruisers and Goldwings. It is the same on my Africa Twin. There is one product that almost fixes this problem - Airhawk seat cover. For those who are not familiar with it, there is a pattern of interconnected rubber cells/bubbles in the cover that basically adapt to position and shape of your butt. You can adjust its inflation as well to your liking. So it not only eliminates the slant, it makes your behind comfortable for long trips.

• 4 weeks later...

i also like the idea of how much fuel you have used instead of how much is left in the tank ...but ...someone please tell these so called road testers in these mags that it has this fitted , sick of reading them going on about it not telling you what is left in the tank  👓👓 😂😀

On 1/20/2019 at 7:24 PM, Luma46 said:

I think that seat slanting forward is an issue with most bikes except maybe cruisers and Goldwings. It is the same on my Africa Twin. There is one product that almost fixes this problem - Airhawk seat cover. For those who are not familiar with it, there is a pattern of interconnected rubber cells/bubbles in the cover that basically adapt to position and shape of your butt. You can adjust its inflation as well to your liking. So it not only eliminates the slant, it makes your behind comfortable for long trips.

I have an Airhawk seat that worked fine on 4-5 other bikes. But on the Tracer GT the Airhawk still makes me slide into the tank and sit in an uncomfortable position :(

On 9/1/2018 at 7:28 AM, runnerhiker said:

I talked to the parts dept at my dealer today.  The FJ09 and Tracer seat have different part numbers, they look very similar in the parts diagram except for the notch in the rear of the Tracer seat, but appearances in a diagram is not reliable.  One ray of hope is that the H pattern plastic tray used to set the hi and lo position of the seat is the same for the FJ and the Tracer, the same part number.  So if the position of the tongue in the front and the latch in the back are the same, the FJ seat would mount on the Tracer.

So who has a friend with an FJ that can go try and swap seats?  If OK, FJ aftermarket seats would fit the Tracer.

Sorry for answereing such an old question, but I have a Tracer GT and ordered the Sargent Cycle seat because of some miscommunication*. It did not fit. The bottom of the seat is not the same, and you can't lock the seat in place.

(* USA vs EU and how we date our vehicles. USA has a time machine, so a bike from 2019 somehow becomes a 2020 model. Magic. And in EU a bike from 2019 is a 2019 model).

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, andersh said:

* USA vs EU and how we date our vehicles. USA has a time machine, so a bike from 2019 somehow becomes a 2020 model. Magic. And in EU a bike from 2019 is a 2019 model).

Agreed, it is confusing when talking about the same bike from riders in other parts of the world.  In USA we had a 2017 FJ09 and a 2019 Tracer but there was nothing offered for 2018.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived