Tracer 900 GT seat

runnerhiker

• Premium Member
I don't like the OEM seat.  The day I bought the bike I ordered a Yamaha Comfort seat, it was better but not good enough.

I ordered a Sargent FJ/Tracer seat, got it today.  It cannot be installed, the front peak of the seat extends forward too much and will not allow the seat to move forward and engage the tongue tab.  Their website does not specifically say it will fit the 900GT, and sure enough, it does not.

I'll get on the phone tomorrow and see what they will do for me to return it.  I was desperate, I saw others' comments and expected to be able to install it, even if the fit around the edges was not right.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

pre 2019 bikes have diffrent seat than the new 2019 plus bikes...
This sort of non-compatibility issue is going to arise more and more as time goes by and as after-market manufacturers get into the act.   Partially due, IMHO, to Yamaha's ridiculous and confusing nomenclature for these bikes!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

This sort of non-compatibility issue is going to arise more and more as time goes by and as after-market manufacturers get into the act.   Partially due, IMHO, to Yamaha's ridiculous and confusing nomenclature for these bikes!

not to mention I think we (the forum) should start calling the bike by its unofficial adopted "MK-09 variant" ?:

"MK1-09" = pre-2017(best ones ?)
"MK1.5-09" = 2017-2019
"MK2-09" = 2019+

much easier than trying to decipher FJ-09, MT-09, Tracer900 and Tracer900GT..

whats next a new bike name next year due to market research studies?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

not to mention I think we (the forum) should start calling the bike by its unofficial adopted "MK-09 variant" ?:

"MK1-09" = pre-2017(best ones ?)
"MK1.5-09" = 2017-2019
"MK2-09" = 2019+

much easier than trying to decipher FJ-09, MT-09, Tracer900 and Tracer900GT..

whats next a new bike name next year due to market research studies?
You forgot the mt-09 tracer. ??
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Anyone found a company that is selling a "MK2-09" = 2019+ seat yet? 

I was just thinking of this.... I'll probably be pulling my away apart this weekend and adding my own gel to reduce the angle a bit. Hopefully I don't screw it up. From what I understand the comfort seat is just a few more mm of foam for a few big dollars in price. Still a new model though so things will undoubtedly come out for it.

• Premium Member
I sent the Sargent seat back today, it was easy but expensive.  I called Sargent, they quickly gave me return authorization, I resealed the box and went to UPS.  They charged me $50 to send it back!  Ouch.  I have no leverage!  I bet Sargent didn't spend $20 sending it to me.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Supporting Member
Feelin' your pain, Dude.  I called Sargent right after I got my 900GT and asked whether a GT seat was on their radar.  They're working on a design now, but they won't be available for several months.  I asked about FJ-09 interchangeability, and they said "Nope."  So, my wait also continues...

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

I don't like the OEM seat.  The day I bought the bike I ordered a Yamaha Comfort seat, it was better but not good enough. 

I ordered a Sargent FJ/Tracer seat, got it today.  It cannot be installed, the front peak of the seat extends forward too much and will not allow the seat to move forward and engage the tongue tab.  Their website does not specifically say it will fit the 900GT, and sure enough, it does not.

I'll get on the phone tomorrow and see what they will do for me to return it.  I was desperate, I saw others' comments and expected to be able to install it, even if the fit around the edges was not right.

I went through the exact same thing!

I even asked beforehand, and got confirmation from USA that it would fit, but due to misunderstandings (!¤!%!" stupid USA thing about calling it "2019 models" even though they arrive in the middle of 2018!) they thought I was talking about the 2017 models. I even wrote "the new 2018 Tracer GT model that just came" in the email..

I managed to bend some plastic tabs underneath, but I was fully compensated and they sent back all my money. Only lost about 60 dollars in shipping.

I have asked Sargent when I could suspect the new seat to be made, but I don't think they like me anymore, even though I kept everything civil.. They haven't answered :(

It doesn't make it any less confusing when Americans insist on calling 2018 models for 2019 models! We're not in 2019 yet, not even the USA. I checked the calender!
A bike that comes out now, and I can buy now, that's a 2018 model.

• Premium Member
It doesn't make it any less confusing when Americans insist on calling 2018 models for 2019 models! We're not in 2019 yet, not even the USA. I checked the calender!

I also have a 2016 BMW R1200 RS which I bought in October of 2015.  ;-)

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

I also have a 2016 BMW R1200 RS which I bought in October of 2015.  ;-)
Don't trigger me. We need a safe space on this forum.

:P

I contacted Terry the other day and he's willing to do both front for 250 and back for 125 + 25 shipping. Doesn't seem too bad of a price, however keep in mind they'll be using your existing stock seat plastic which then puts it at about the same price as a Corbin or Sargent, IMO. I would rather something that is more customized for me but the concern is that it won't appeal to the next buyer when I sell the bike. I made about $1200 selling off my farkles from my FJR when I traded it in as a reasonable compromise of getting bottom dollar for a trade so things like this cross my mind.

If nothing more however if the seat is comfy for me, I might still be willing to take the plunge, especially if I'm not consistently thrust ed into the tank when I decelerate. I know these stock seats are made for the masses, but I can't help but feel Yamaha could put in just a slightly larger bit of effort to make it more comfortable for all.

Archived