Auto oilers? Anyone use them?

• Supporting Member

My g/f has a Scottoiler on her 650GS.  As others have said, it does reduce the amount of fiddling one has to do with the chain, but yeah, don't forget the other things!!  ..tire pressure etc

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Had a Tuturo on my V-Strom and it is very nice and works as advertised, but I did a fair amount of off pavement and riding in the rain on that bike......so this is not needed on my GT. Plus I am back to using the most excellent Dupont chain saver lube in the squeeze bottle, IMHO there is no better all around manual lube concoction on the market.

• Premium Member

I installed a ScottOiler V-system earlier this year and so far I'm 100% happy with it. It's doing exactly what I hoped: the chain remains clean, lubed, and rust-free, despite riding through a lot of rain and 10 miles of sticky Montana construction zone mud. I don't have to futz with the chain at all, I just top up the oil reservoir once in a while. The chain also seems to require less adjustment now. 

• Thumbsup 2

Have a scottoiler VSystem since more than 15 years and am glad with it.(at this time, only the Vacuum system existed !!!)

Refill it with chainsaw oil and everything's OK.

I recommand not to deliver too much oil (1 drop per minute is sufficient) in order to avoid painting the rear rim.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, keithu said:

I installed a ScottOiler V-system earlier this year and so far I'm 100% happy with it. It's doing exactly what I hoped: the chain remains clean, lubed, and rust-free, despite riding through a lot of rain and 10 miles of sticky Montana construction zone mud. I don't have to futz with the chain at all, I just top up the oil reservoir once in a while. The chain also seems to require less adjustment now. 

We had to deal with miles of that construction mud between Malta and Havre back in August. Nasty stuff. 
On a side note, the folks at the O’Reily’s in Havre are top notch. Very helpful and will loan you tools quick fast and in a hurry. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member

Been using a Reilang old school oiler with gear oil every 500 miles or after every bike wash. 

Reilang R015 Brush Oiler | Reilang Oilers | Reilang | Tools by Brand | Jens Putzier Tools 

Although the auto oiler looks very interesting. Especially if you get the electronic version that only dispenses when bike is in motion...

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I have a Pro Oiler GPS controlled chain oiler.

Had it on my FJ1200 for 60,000 KM,s transferred to Tracer and done 45,000 KM,s so far very well made quality product 

20181231_091715.jpg

Edited by biggo
Add Photo,s

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, micah2074 said:

We had to deal with miles of that construction mud between Malta and Havre back in August. Nasty stuff. 

LOL, yes. That's exactly the stretch I rode through, also in August. I'm still finding that mud in nooks and crannies. 

• Haha 1

I installed the Scottoiler X System and, so far, have run it about 2,000 miles.  Other than two slack adjustments (the chain is new), I haven't touched the chain since.  It's always got a fresh oiled appearance to it.  I’ve topped off the oil reservoir once.

I'm pretty happy with this set up.  Riding with a chain drive couldn't be any easier now. 

The chain links are a little grungy.  I was using their red, or higher temperature oil, as it got cold and the riding season ended.  It normally looks a little cleaner.  The rim hasn't been cleaned in about 800 miles or so. 

20201215_192312.jpg

Edited by Ride On

• 10 months later...

I dont do any touring on my Tracer but have used castrol chain lube. Im shocked to see that the Dupont chainsaver recommended by one of the forum members  is ACTUALLY sold in Canada! Lowes of all places-$14.49. Will get at next visit.   Youve got to love that centrestand for maintenance.

I'm running a Tutoro on the GT. I had it on my Vee and loved it so much, it didn't go with the bike when I sold it. Don't bother with the dual feed applicator. Single is fine. Zap straps are your friend. I didn't need to fabricate any new bracketry that didn't come with the kit. I mounted to the left side luggage support. Put some thought into how you might mount on yours. Perfectly vertical is not necessary, but ease of filling is. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/24/2021 at 8:33 PM, larolco said:

I'm running a Tutoro on the GT. I had it on my Vee and loved it so much, it didn't go with the bike when I sold it. Don't bother with the dual feed applicator. Single is fine. Zap straps are your friend. I didn't need to fabricate any new bracketry that didn't come with the kit. I mounted to the left side luggage support. Put some thought into how you might mount on yours. Perfectly vertical is not necessary, but ease of filling is. 

Absolutely love mine, so much so I bought another for my Tenere.  Only dispenses while the bike is in motion, but also doesn't require electric and/or vacuum connections.  I really appreciate how it's an entirely independent system.

Vs a scottoiler -

Tutoro pros: simpler setup, dramatically lower cost, ease of filling.

Scottoiler pros: can be hidden out of sight and not mar the beauty of your ride.

One potential problem with the Tutoro is - and this is user error, but it's easy - if you get any dirt in the reservoir, there's a strong likely hood that it'll block the valve and prevent flow.  The fix is pretty simple (basically just rinse it out) but yeah, it's a bit touchy.  As the reservoir basically must be located fairly externally, it's going to get gritty, making a careless fill a real possibility.  But that's a minor inconvenience more than anything.  This may also be a potential problem with scottoilers, I don't know.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thanks 1

I personally do not use oilers...  they were originally meant for shitty chains.  With the quality of the lubricants these days, quality of the chains (X-ring specifically),  there is virtually nothing you can do to a chain to require lubrication mid day.    If anything keeping a chain wet with oil will attract and hold more grit, vs the dry wax type lubes generally do not.   Squirting oil on a wet chain in the rain just causes the oil to run off as well, so there is almost no benefit with that either mid day. 

My process is - after a day of dirty or wet riding, I hit the chain with a squirt of chain lube (Dupont Chain Saver for me, I carry at 3oz small can in my case on long trips) after the day of riding, and maybe wipe off gunk with a paper towel.   And if its just a dry clean riding day, I maybe wont do anything to the chain.    The oil is primarily to keep rust from forming on chains these days.

Edited by Clegg78