twistedroad.com motorcycle rentals by owners

• Premium Member
Not quite an answer, but I have a rented bikes a few times. I would prefer to stick with a well established company, which is basically just Eagle Rider in the US. Rented from them 3x. 2 from shop near LAX airport were perfect. 1 in Honolulu, Fat Boy had an electrical problem after 20 min. Limped it back to the shop and replaced with a Road King.

Rented a K1300 from a local rental place in Torrance while visiting LA. That didn't go so well. Offered hotel pick up drop off service on the website, but then wouldn't do a pick up service. Told the guy I planned about a 400 mile day. Bike tire was pretty worn. He said he didn't believe me that I would ride that far. Later called during the ride and asked me to return the bike because he thought it was too dangerous. For those that know, I was up in Lake Issabella. He went back and forth about picking it up the next day but finally said I had to return it to his shop. I accidentally overslept next day, called dealer and left message letting him know I was late. I returned the bike about an hour late. He absolutely unloaded on me about how rude I was. Turns out it was pretty much a 1 man operation and he needed to go to a funeral. I expected to just pay a late fee.

Flip side is a friend rented a Concourse 1400 from him for a fast cross country ride (< 2 weeks round trip) and the guy was great - reimbursed my friend for the replacement tire halfway back to CA from North Carolina no problems.

Rented a K1300 from a local rental place in Torrance while visiting LA. That didn't go so well. Offered hotel pick up drop off service on the website, but then wouldn't do a pick up service. Later called during the ride and asked me to return the bike because he thought it was too dangerous. He went back and forth about picking it up the next day but finally said I had to return it to his shop. I returned the bike about an hour late. He absolutely unloaded on me about how rude I was. Turns out it was pretty much a 1 man operation and he needed to go to a funeral. I expected to just pay a late fee.  
Flip side is a friend rented a Concourse 1400 from him for a fast cross country ride (< 2 weeks round trip) and the guy was great - reimbursed my friend for the replacement tire halfway back to CA from North Carolina no problems.

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds to me like the owner/operator makes up his "rules" as he goes along, essentially changing them based on his perception (correct, or not) of the other person. It kinda remind me of those shady vendors you find at street fairs, carnivals, etc...the ones who don't post prices, and then, depending on how they "feel" about you, they tell you a price. The problem with the "price" is that, they can quote up to 10 different prices when giving them to 10 different people. Best suggestion - stick with well-known operations. Eagle Rider is, obviously, one, but it's not the only one.

If you're even up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I recommend California Motorcycle Adventure (tho the owners area retiring, and looking for someone to purchaser the business, so, unless someone purchased it before next spring, they might not be around much longer), or Dubbelju Motorcycle Rentals (been around since 1991, so they're very-well established). There are others in the Bay Area, but I don't know, and haven't heard anything, about them.

Another that appears to have made a name for themselves (worldwide, as they have locations in over 40 countries)...and you might have already heard about them...is AdMo Tours (http://www.admo-tours.com). Admin Tours is both a motorcycle tour agency, and a motorcycle rental business. Again, I haven't dealt with them, personally, but, considering the size of the business, it's fairly safe to assume they're reputable.

I’ve seen them all around my area and was curious too. I’ve rented bikes before never with a issue but I can see someone having issues with some dudes bike. I’d have to be really really broke before I’d prostitute my bike out. The thought of another man on top of her, bro, I can’t handle that.

Archived