MPG when touring or on the freeway?

Hey everyone.

I've been going back and forth on debating a new FJ vs a CB500X.  One thing I really like about the CB is it's 65 MPG on the freeway. 

I know the FJ is listed at 44 MPG, but the FZ on Fuelly,com shows high 30's.  Granted people are probably ripping the motor all day long, so does anyone have some real world numbers on touring or freeway?

PS, my pops just picked one of these up today and has it in his garage.  I'm drooling, and will definitely head down to his house this weekend to give it a ride.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My trip computer thingy is averaging 43 MPG. The majority of that is hard ripping of canyon roads with some highway travelling to get to the canyon twisties.

I would imagine a more controlled throttle hand would do better than i have. When i am going easy on the highway @ 65 in 6th i see 50+ mpg on the economy meter.

Mine is too new to say what the MPG would be - consumption was pretty horrendous in the first 50 miles but see it is improving, in spite of that I have averaged just over 55 MPG UK, which is about 46 US.
I use Fuelly and when the signatures in posts is enabled for me, you'll be able to see how well I'm doing.

Interesting. I am riding a 2014 UK Super Tenere. Had I know the Tracer was coming out I would have held out to see it. I can on the computer on my bike staying at speeds comparable to that limit, achieve 55mpg plus. I have seen 68 on a tour around Scotland last September not taking it easy either.Spirited riding

For the U.S. guys you're talking Imperial Gallons? Right - Four liters Still pretty decent mileage.

US gallon=3.78 litres
Imperial gallon=4.5 litres
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Updated 3/20/2015:
I have 3700 miles on the bike and I am pretty much over the thrill.  Now I can and have controlled myself for the very reason to determine how many miles can I expect to get out of a tank of gas while touring. The numbers are in. Cruising at around 70-74, I can get 45mpg or over 200 miles on a tank of gas (using 4.5 gallons) and still have about .3 gallons left. If I drop the speed to 60, I can get around 50-55 mpg, and over 60 if I drop down to 50mph. So if I do the first 3 gallons on a road like 191 out of Alpine in Az. I will get about 111 miles (37mpg) down the road and if I limp down the road at 50mph I can still make 200 miles. Great bike. If I cruise at 83-85 I will only get around 40-42mpg or about 190 miles.

The computer on the bike is generous with the mpg.  I figure about 2.5 mpg less.  The computer says that I have averaged 51.6mpg (61.969 mpIg., 4.558L/100k)  I log the date, gallons, price, odometer reading on an app on the phone.  Here are the actual mpgs at each fill up:

1st: 42.63, 40.59, 39.54, 47.78, 48.07, 44.2, 41.67, 42.27, 44.86, 44.30, 44.00, 42.73, 45.27, 43.64, 49.37, 43.87, 46.81, 44.74, 48.67, 48.56, 47.46, last: 50.51.  Actual average mpg: 44.99 (54.03mpIg, 5.228l/100k).  Average distance between fill ups: 164.18 miles (264.22 km), longest 215 miles (346 km) miles w/4.53 gallons (17.148 liters) used.  Average fill up: 3.66 gal. (13.85 liters).

Kind of makes you wonder what is going on with these bikes.  I have averaged 44.44mpg on my FJR over 30,000 miles(same app)  Have gotten as high as 57.23mpg and it has 124hp and 1253cc and weight is 600#+.  Well, I figured it out.  The FJR has 4 cylinders vs. 3 but turns at a lower rpm.  If you don't get to exact, you will find that the FJ-09 fires a piston about the same as the FJR making the use of gas about the same.  If the FJ would have 6th gear turning 600 fewer rpm, we would get a lot better mpg while touring.  I mean, 5th is fast enough for any fun stuff, you don't need 6th for the fun, but turning fewer rpm while touring would save you some cash.

It is safe to say that you get between 3.5 - 5 miles per 1/10th a gallon.  On reserve you may expect 40 miles for the .8 gallons left when the light or Fuel indicator comes on.  If you want to be safe, use .5 gallons and always leave the .3 in the tank:  25 miles to be safe.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Has anyone looked into adding a few teeth in the back? Could help it turn a little less at highway speed. I am ok with sacrificing a little off the line for some practicality.
Ride in B mode or buy a TMax if you want lower fuel consumption :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Has anyone looked into adding a few teeth in the back? Could help it turn a little less at highway speed. I am ok with sacrificing a little off the line for some practicality.
Ride in B mode or buy a TMax if you want lower fuel consumption :)
B mode doesn't get you better fuel consumption, does it?  If you have some information that verifies this, please post it up here.  As I understand, B mode only lessens the hp and softens the throttle a bit.  If you are going down the road, as in touring, at 65mph, A, B or STD, your fuel consumption will be the same as the work from the engine is the same. :)

Wouldn't that increase revs per distance traveled?  Add a tooth to the front would reduce the gear ratio to the rear and increase distance traveled while reduce a tooth in the front would decrease distance traveled as the engine would rev more.   
The bigger the rear sprocket, the slower you will go at any rpm.  Your idea is a good one:  Find a sprocket combo that reduces the rpm at speed, to increase highway mpg, comfort, etc.

I just don't want to lose the spunk of the FJ down low.  Another thing, I forgot about, is that the engine gets really smooth at 5000-5500 rpm, 76-80mph, change the rpm at 76-80 to a lower rpm will roughen it up.  I do most of my touring at those speeds, and I love the smoothness of the engine.  I take back my suggestion to lower the rpm by 600. :)

Archived