MPG when touring or on the freeway?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I currently have a CB500X and am planning on upgrading to a FJ-09.

Living in Canada with the max speed limit of 110kph, the Honda is great, good mpg all the time 100kph = 5000rpm. 
But mileage goes to hell once you start going faster. I did a long road trip in the US this summer. Doing 80-85mph brought my mileage down to around 33, and there wasn't much left to pass, I was full throttle going up some hills, It doesn't like to cruse much faster than 85ish, at that point it's reving about 7000rpm, it'll do it, but you can tell it's not too happy.

If you're going to stay around 60-70mph the Honda will do just fine, but you'll be wanting power above that speed, and your mileage will go to hell.

That being said, I'm gonna miss the mileage and range of the Honda.

• Premium Member
Not to diminish mpg concerns of other posters, but mileage has never been a factor in my decision to buy a bike. It's all about the ride.

That said, every bike I've owned in the last 15 years has returned similar numbers. Between 40 & 50. This includes the FJ, which is at the high end of the scale.

• Premium Member
With 5k+ miles on the odometer I am averaging about 47 mpg. However, that includes a 3k mile ride to Colorado where we did lots of steady throttle riding and I was getting 50+ mpg. Overall, I am very happy with the FJ's gas mileage.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I use Fuel Buddy app. Looking at the stats after 14K, I find that I have been averaging 49.88 mpg, with 59.3 my high and 42.88 my low. That is over 7,000 miles on a engine that is broken in.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

If I keep it at 70mph or under I'll get 50-55mpg. If I'm cruising at 80-85 I'll be getting 39-43 (usually around 42) depending on the headwind. I have FJR bags though and they definitely effect mileage over 75. I could get in the high forties going almost 90 when the bike was naked.

Pretty sure I've posted some of my results before, but my best ever was a recent trip up to Lake Erie from Pittsburgh to visit the family.  I do not take the highway on this trip and take country roads through Amish country skirting Allegheny.  My latest I got my best mileage of 53.4 MPG.  I've taken some trips To Ohio where I take long jaunts, sometimes highway sometimes backroads and get just over 50 MPH.  It seems long trips on country back roads get me the best mileage.

Like others have said though, I didn't get the bike for Mileage but like tracking what I get.  Once I get back from a long trip and ride locally though, I noticed a significant drop in mileage.  I think I then ride more spirited than when I'm long hauling.  I started on a Ninja 250 which was great, almost 70mpg, and then moved to an FZ6R which I didn't track mileage on.

362328.png

Has anyone looked into adding a few teeth in the back? Could help it turn a little less at highway speed. I am ok with sacrificing a little off the line for some practicality.
Wouldn't that increase revs per distance traveled? ...
Correct. Personally I feel the gearing to be close to the right compromise for power and economy but when it comes time to replace chain and sprockets I'll probably go one tooth down on the rear to gear it up just a bit. One tooth on the countershaft is a big jump.

I took a trip this weekend, 250 miles each way. I checked the mileage on the first fill-up going down and coming back. Divided gallons used into miles on the odometer. Going down, no wind to speak of, 75-78 mph the whole tank=49.7 MPG. Coming back with a 20mph headwind and keeping up with traffic 80-85 mph I got 44.9MPG.  

Archived