Niken sightings?

micah2074

Well, a member on the Tenere 700 Forum test rode a Niken with a group of people. He said that everyone in the group loved the way it handled and that they all went 10-20% faster around the hgh speed corners due to the increased traction and confidence. He also remarked that it was cool to be abe to hit the brakes in the corner and not have the bike stand up.

He also posted some pics , you have to join the forum to see his post but it only takes a second.

https://www.tenere700.net/forums/topic/38-hey-yamaha-that-niken-isnt-selling/?do=findComment&comment=202

• Supporting Member
Thanks for that link @leedavis. I’m probably not the Niken buyer demographic (whatever that is), but the car looks fascinating. My old Taurus SHO used a Yamaha-sourced engine, and it was a gem... For its era, at least :)

Will definitely follow this with great interest.

• 1 month later...
CORRECTION!!! Just got a call from a friend attending the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach, as he was standing by four demonstrator Nikens, talking with the Yamaha rep. All rides today are signed up for, but if I flew into Long Beach early Sunday, I might get to ride one. (Fat chance of me doing that.)

Yamaha rep told Bill D. (my pal) that every Niken they get is sold before it arrives and there are people in line waiting to buy them. Seems FJ-09/Tracer owners are not the intended market segment for Yamaha Nikens. Or we just don't get it.

• Premium Member
CORRECTION!!! Just got a call from a friend attending the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach, as he was standing by four demonstrator Nikens, talking with the Yamaha rep. All rides today are signed up for, but if I flew into Long Beach early Sunday, I might get to ride one. (Fat chance of me doing that.)  
Yamaha rep told Bill D. (my pal) that every Niken they get is sold before it arrives and there are people in line waiting to buy them. Seems FJ-09/Tracer owners are not the intended market segment for Yamaha Nikens. Or we just don't get it.
Put me in for just don't get it.  :-/  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
The Niken seems to me to be another one of their concepts and should have stayed that way.

Why is that?  I applaud Yamaha for continuing to innovate and push the envelope.  How boring would the motorsports industry be if everyone played it safe and never tried anything new - even if it fails.

I dont hate the Niken by any means, as much twisty riding as I do, I would love to take one out for an extended test ride and experience what the LMW is all about.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Seems FJ-09/Tracer owners are not the intended market segment for Yamaha Nikens. Or we just don't get it.
Put me in for just don't get it.  undecided.png
I used to get it... but not any more.  I love riding twisties, but I'm old and losing skills by the day, so any technology that increases my chances of safely continuing riding sounded great.  Two things came together that for me, put Niken on the curb:  First, Yamaha waited three? years between teasing the Niken and releasing it. Second, Bosch and Continental worked with KTM, BMW, Kawasaki and other bike manufacturers to develop the IMU (inertial measurement unit) so it provides very effective cornering ABS -- making Niken's improved traction on corners relatively moot since C-ABS permits safe braking when leaned over, and achieves the same result as improved traction. And there was a third item - I decided to slow down and not stress[span]    [/span] test my aged synapses.  :'(    
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
Yamaha rep told Bill D. (my pal) that every Niken they get is sold before it arrives and there are people in line waiting to buy them.
Very interesting, and I’m really glad to hear that. Apparently there is appetite & demand for the concept, and it’s not through that ‘traditional’ buyer channel. I applaud the effort by Yamaha, as anything that expands the power sports market is good for all of us.

Any clue on how many Nikens are being produced? I have to assume the numbers are low, and would love to know where they’re actually going.

Yamaha rep told Bill D. (my pal) that every Niken they get is sold before it arrives and there are people in line waiting to buy them.
Very interesting, and I’m really glad to hear that. Apparently there is appetite & demand for the concept, and it’s not through that ‘traditional’ buyer channel. I applaud the effort by Yamaha, as anything that expands the power sports market is good for all of us.  
Any clue on how many Nikens are being produced? I have to assume the numbers are low, and would love to know where they’re actually going.

In addition to the demo Niken fleet (four) they had a Niken GT on display. Bill D. said it was surrounded by geezers (himself included) and he overheard some talk about how much better it was than the Spyder or other trikes because it leaned. He took a pretty good photo of the GT with an unknown geezer aboard:  
NIKEN-GT.jpg

Considering that the only way to buy a Niken is to order it through the Yamaha NA website (not from a dealer) so all they need to do is wait until they have enough orders to justify making and shipping Nikens, which does make it easy to say they have them all sold before delivery and a line waiting.  The Yamaha rep. did not provide any production numbers or destinations, so that remains a mystery that interests me too.    

I see a price tag on that Niken - $17,299.   How does that compare with an RRP for the Tracer GT I wonder?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I see a price tag on that Niken - $17,299.   How does that compare with an RRP for the Tracer GT I wonder?
MSRP (RRP) for the Tracer GT is $13000.  About $2000 between the standard Tracer and GT version. (There's only $1300 difference between the Niken and Niken GT.)   
What I find interesting is that Kawasaki will be fielding a 2019  1000 EX LT plus model of the Versys 1000 LT, and it will cost $5000 more than the LT  (MSRP of the EX LT + is $18,000).  For the extra money Kawasaki has loaded every known electronic rider aid known to man on the bike; cruise control, electric adjustable suspension (F&R), IMU for cornering ABS, wheelie control, stability control, traction control, an up and down quick shifter, cornering lights, Bluetooth connection to a cell phone with the ability to make tuning changes through that connection. Kawasaki is treading on Euro territory (BMW, KTM, Ducati) but not their prices.

• Supporting Member
What I find interesting is that Kawasaki will be fielding a 2019  1000 EX LT plus model of the Versys 1000 LT, and it will cost $5000 more than the LT  (MSRP of the EX LT + is $18,000)... 
Kawasaki is treading on Euro territory (BMW, KTM, Ducati) but not their prices.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Kawasaki completely updated their Versys 1000 for 2019, it is now equal in price and (most) features to the FJR-ES.  I like it a lot.

Having ridden both many times and enjoyed each bike immensely, I could own either one but I have to say - its hard to match an FJR. 

The FJR is heavier and has heavier steering than the Versys, but that 1300cc freight train motor, electric windshield and shaft drive really complete the overall package.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

What I find interesting is that Kawasaki will be fielding a 2019  1000 EX LT plus model of the Versys 1000 LT, and it will cost $5000 more than the LT  (MSRP of the EX LT + is $18,000)...  Kawasaki is treading on Euro territory (BMW, KTM, Ducati) but not their prices.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Kawasaki completely updated their Versys 1000 for 2019, it is now equal in price and (most) features to the FJR-ES.  I like it a lot.

Having ridden both many times and enjoyed each bike immensely, I could own either one but I have to say - its hard to match an FJR. 

The FJR is heavier and has heavier steering than the Versys, but that 1300cc freight train motor, electric windshield and shaft drive really complete the overall package.

Until you have to back it up a hill :).... 
I came from a 14" FJR and there certainly some creator comforts that I miss on the FJR over the GT. One of them being the seat. Everyone said the stock seat on the FJR was bad but they must never have sat on a GT. The Kawasaki Versys looks good but I think the price is going to kill it for them. The electronics they are putting on the bike are really far out there. It has me wondering what they are going to do with the Concours now that the Versys has all that tech and is still a "sport touring" machine. I predict it'll either go away or get the same tech and a heavily upgraded price tag to go along with it. The GT is reasonably priced for what we're getting with it.  

If nothing more I'm just glad Kawi finally got with the program and added a cruise control on their "sport touring" bikes. Looking at the layout of the controls of the Versys makes me jealous.

https://www.kawasaki.eu/en/products/Dual_Purpose/2019/Versys_1000/top-features?Uid=0943Cg5fCV0MUQ4KWAsLXFBfCQleWlhQWQsLWwleDFpdWQk#Electronic_Cruise_Control

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Went to the Dania Beach Antique motorcycle show and saw these.

2019-01-26 15.40.28.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA