E10 vs. Non-ethanol fuel

'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Premium Member
The reason 91 octane is recommended is due to the high compression ratio.  
-Skip
Yup high compression, which is why it boggles my mind you cats insist on trying to save a buck a fill up...
Our compression ratio is 11.5:1. Is that high enough to require high-octane fuel?  
I ran only high-octane in my turbocharged car because it had an effective compression ratio of 16:1 when the boost was at 15 psi. When testing 87 octane fuel in that car, the boost could be up to 8 psi without detonating. The effective compression ratio was about 12:1 at 8 psi. Our FJ-09 falls within that ratio.

I usually pump 91 octane into my FJ-09, but I don't sweat it if I can save 50 cents per gallon for 87 octane or if 91 is not available. Some places that I rode in Oregon only had 87. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
"Yup high compression, which is why it boggles my mind you cats insist on trying to save a buck a fill up..."

You are not alone...  squint.png

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
The only difference I notice is that I feel like I get better fuel mileage / range out of a tank of gas with zero ethanol. My butt dyno doesn't notice anything else.

I recently didn't ride for almost a week due to the FJ being serviced and it was a pleasant surprise in 'A' mode that this engine has plenty of power and torque.

I try to always run at least 91, it's usually E10. Stopped by a station the other day and needed about 4 gallons to top off, notice they has 89 E Free. Filled with 4.1 gallons. Trip ahead was about 200 miles of straight road cruising at about 60 MPH. Very few stops, just getting from one place to anther. Took 4 gallons to top off at about 220 miles, so about 55 MPG. That being said, I haven't run the same test using 91-E10 to compare the difference.

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

• 1 year later...

I've got a station a bit out of the way from me but worth it. Just filled there with 90 octane E0 and wow! big difference! I've has this slight bog when taking off from a stop...Gone! More power! Smoother, less of that on off jerkiness, etc. I still had a gallon of crap gas in the tank too!

Keep in mind I'm100% stock, when I get my tune I probably won't have this anymore. (It better!)

I REALLY think most engines lately are running borderline doomsday lean now due to the EPA. NOT GOOD FOR ENGINES!😡

Finally had the urge and place to top it out, did it several times, it just accelerates to 114 MPH and stays there, weird feeling. Be glad when that's gone! Totally stable BTW, I did run my fork tubes up 10mm.

So if your ECU is untouched, find some E0 and give it a try.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Finally had the urge and place to top it out, did it several times, it just accelerates to 114 MPH and stays there, weird feeling.

I remember that sensation.   Just kind of serene, like ‘nope, that’s all I can do for you’.    Downshifting a couple of gears gives you more noise, but no change in velocity. Like you said, it’s weird.   The ECU flash will remove the speed governor, and make it run so much better

Yeah ignition isn't cut it just stops going faster. I wonder if the ignition timing is retarded to nothing?

I'll have a completely different bike next spring. ECU flash, all fluids changed, new handlebars,  I just hope I don't go crazy with the $$$ from the boredom of winter. 

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

I just hope I don't go crazy with the $$$ from the boredom of winter. 

New owner, long boring winter... yeah, good luck with that.  Cha-Ching! 😎👍

• Haha 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Think Ive only run one tank of E0 in the Tracer GT and one of 87 E10 when there was no 91 available.  On my previous bike I've done several long trips in the western states and fill up with E0 whenever possible.  Does seem to be a slight MPG increase which I would expect.  In remote areas always watching fuel consumption and how far to next gas station.  

• Premium Member

I bought a lot of E0 on my road trip this summer. I was surprised to see it was usually the only thing available as premium in North Dakota and Montana, and the price was about the same as what I normally pay for E10 premium. Fuel economy was a little better, but not dramatically so. If there was a performance improvement I'm not good enough to notice it. 

Here in Oregon E0 is rare and 30-40% more expensive than E10. I buy E0 for my lawn mower and chain saw, but in the bike it's not worth it IMO.