Excessive heat from cooling system at rest

• Premium Member
When summer comes w/ 100 plus temps I'll let you know. So far low 80's are tolerable.
If 80s are tolerable then that's better than my Daytona.  That bike will cook you in your seat three ways on a mid-80s day in traffic, and by the time you hit 100+ you'll do anything to keep moving. 
I had to wrap the pipe for the (underseat) exhaust because otherwise my right thigh felt like a turkey on a spit from the heat coming up under the seat, and one of the first days I rode the bike on a commute I thought my right foot was on fire from the heat coming off the cat.  This despite wearing ATGATT; I can't imagine what it would have been like in jeans.

Then add the fan blowing the air through the full fairing directly onto my legs.

I'm betting the FJ is a big improvement over that, although the position of the muffler does make me wonder about my foot.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 2 weeks later...
An oil and water cooled turbo works best - you don't have to idle them down as much. Idiots can run them on cars/bikes.  

My fan kicked on in heavy traffic at 217F.  According to my dealer, who said "don't worry until the hot light comes on" 225-230F is considered a normal operating temperature for this bike with a pressurized system.  All the more reason to buy a radiator guard. :D  And ride at speeds that push air through the radiator...

I heard some riders say that in cold weather they are chugging around at 160-170F.  Wouldn't it run rich at that temperature?
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Archived