GT niggles?

bugie

On 11/4/2018 at 4:53 PM, runnerhiker said:

In addition to my Tracer GT, I also have a BMW R1200 RS (boxer twin), and I have road tested the S1000 XR on several occasions.  I considered the XR when I got RS 3 years ago.  And I rode the XR again when I got the Tracer GT 3 months ago.

The XR just doesn't grab me, I don't like it, we don't fit well together.  The BMW features are great, my RS has them all, and they all work very well:  GPS integration, all control buttons on the handlebar are well laid out, and on and on.  The list of good things would be long.  And the XR has all these features.  Except that it doesn't grab me.

The cost difference between the BMW's and any other bike is probably justifiable if you put a retail value on any and all features that the BMW's come with.  But quality and finish is not one I would identify as different between a Yamaha and a BMW.  BTW, the BMW's come with a 3 year warranty.

Runnerhiker, can you briefly compare the pro's and con's between the RS and the GT? Thanks

Edited by basstodave

I'm also gonna muscle-in here, for I came to the pre-GT Tracer after a long ownership of many BMW boxer twins, Roadsters and GSs.

Bearing in mind my age and the fact that I'm physically not at all strong - BMWs became too heavy for me, on the road and more so when shoving them around in the garage.   They also became far too complex, especially in their electronic gadgetry, and I said more than once that I would never keep a BMW after the warranty expired for fear of bankruptcy should repairs be needed.   Very expensive now to buy - a new R of the kind I had would now set you back around $26,000 depending on spec.

They do keep their values well, especially GSs, but Roadsters (R and RS) can be very hard to shift, not being much sought-after in the marketplace (like Tracers here in Oz).   Excellent reputation for reliability, but accessories are expensive, and spares and servicing costly to fix when things go wrong.   Relatively small dealer-base here in Oz. 

The Tracer belies the fact that there's only about 20kg weight difference between an R/ RS and a Tracer, both full.  The lighter weight subscribes to a much perkier feel on the road, flickability, lighter handling, more 'fun' (I switched for all these reasons).   I found it very much easier to move it around in the garage too.

The Yamaha models also benefit from a vast range of aftermarket accessories that can be very inexpensive without sacrificing quality.   

Overall, I also think that the Tracer's - and probably (when it arrives here) the GT's value for money is/ will be exceptional.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, basstodave said:

Runnerhiker, can you briefly compare the pro's and con's between the RS and the GT? Thanks

RS is better at:

engine power and torque, wind protection, stability at highway speeds, has a shaft drive, larger panniers, TPMS, self cancelling turn signals, 3 year warranty, GPS control at handlebar wheel works very well, quick shifter is up & down, the control buttons layout on the handlebar cluster is excellent (no desire for any design changes).

The GT is better at:

$7,000 less although it doesn't have all the features the RS has, I like the TFT instrument better, smoother shifting transmission, it's 95% as good as the RS in anything the RS is better.

Not a pro or a con, but the character of the engines are really different.  I like revving the GT engine better than revving the RS when I am riding fast.  And believe it or not, I like running low RPM's on the GT better when I am just plodding along.  And the power of the GT seems about 90% as good as the RS even though it's 105 HP vs 125 HP.

Let me know if there is something specific you'd like for me to say more about.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

12 hours ago, runnerhiker said:

RS is better at:

engine power and torque, wind protection, stability at highway speeds, has a shaft drive, larger panniers, TPMS, self cancelling turn signals, 3 year warranty, GPS control at handlebar wheel works very well, quick shifter is up & down, the control buttons layout on the handlebar cluster is excellent (no desire for any design changes).

The GT is better at:

$7,000 less although it doesn't have all the features the RS has, I like the TFT instrument better, smoother shifting transmission, it's 95% as good as the RS in anything the RS is better.

Not a pro or a con, but the character of the engines are really different.  I like revving the GT engine better than revving the RS when I am riding fast.  And believe it or not, I like running low RPM's on the GT better when I am just plodding along.  And the power of the GT seems about 90% as good as the RS even though it's 105 HP vs 125 HP.

Thanks for the interesting encapsulation. How tall are you and how do you compare the ergonomics between the two? Lastly if you found an RS used that still had two years of warranty and cost the same as a new GT, but could only buy one, which would you choose? Thanks

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, basstodave said:

Thanks for the interesting encapsulation. How tall are you and how do you compare the ergonomics between the two? Lastly if you found an RS used that still had two years of warranty and cost the same as a new GT, but could only buy one, which would you choose? Thanks

I am 5'-10" with a 32" inseam and standard length sleeves on shirts and jackets.  The RS handlebar grips are further forward and lower than the GT, I put 1.5" risers on the RS (and 1" closer to me) and the GT grips are still closer to me for a more straight up riding position.  The pegs on the RS are a little more forward than the GT.  I consider these ergonomics differences minor, basically, in the RS the torso leans forward a few degrees and in the GT it seems the torso is straight up.

The RS is more bike, for the situation you mentioned, I would choose the RS.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, runnerhiker said:

RS is better at:

The GT is better at:

I forgot one important plus for the RS - electronically adjusted suspension.  I can vary the preload and dampening with the press of a button.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, shahrimanjohann said:

Good thread to read. Coming in late...thinking of either the GT or the 2018 left over 1200GS. Any views on these 2 bikes? I'm 5'7" with 30" seams.

Having owned a number of GSs - great bikes, although quite heavy and bulky - I say you'd have great difficulty flat-footing one.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

On 12/22/2018 at 3:01 PM, wordsmith said:

I'm also gonna muscle-in here, for I came to the pre-GT Tracer after a long ownership of many BMW boxer twins, Roadsters and GSs.

Bearing in mind my age and the fact that I'm physically not at all strong - BMWs became too heavy for me, on the road and more so when shoving them around in the garage.   They also became far too complex, especially in their electronic gadgetry, and I said more than once that I would never keep a BMW after the warranty expired for fear of bankruptcy should repairs be needed.   Very expensive now to buy - a new R of the kind I had would now set you back around $26,000 depending on spec.

They do keep their values well, especially GSs, but Roadsters (R and RS) can be very hard to shift, not being much sought-after in the marketplace (like Tracers here in Oz).   Excellent reputation for reliability, but accessories are expensive, and spares and servicing costly to fix when things go wrong.   Relatively small dealer-base here in Oz. 

The Tracer belies the fact that there's only about 20kg weight difference between an R/ RS and a Tracer, both full.  The lighter weight subscribes to a much perkier feel on the road, flickability, lighter handling, more 'fun' (I switched for all these reasons).   I found it very much easier to move it around in the garage too.

The Yamaha models also benefit from a vast range of aftermarket accessories that can be very inexpensive without sacrificing quality.   

Overall, I also think that the Tracer's - and probably (when it arrives here) the GT's - value for money is/ will be exceptional.

7 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Having owned a number of Gs - great bikes, although quite heavy and bulky - I say you'd have great difficulty flat-footing one.

Seat height on both is the same 850mm. Test ridden the GS and I'm in my tippy toes, just as I was on the GT. For commuting to and from work in the city traffic I think both are quite terrifying but I have the weekend to think about too! 

7 hours ago, shahrimanjohann said:

GT for you then? If you're younger and "stronger"? 

Absolutely no disrespect here, Shah, but it sounds to me - and I have been there, done that - that you are finding both options somewhat intimidating, given the intended mode of usage.   Commuting to and from in city traffic with feet up-and-down like a bride's nightie would not be my idea of enjoyable riding - but it's your choice!   The GS would, in this comparison, be the poorer choice due to it greater bulk and weight, IMHO.

1 minute ago, wordsmith said:

Absolutely no disrespect here, Shah, but it sounds to me - and I have been there, done that - that you are finding both options somewhat intimidating, given the intended mode of usage.   Commuting to and from in city traffic with feet up-and-down like a bride's nightie would not be my idea of enjoyable riding - but it's your choice!   The GS would, in this comparison, be the poorer choice due to it greater bulk and weight, IMHO.

Thanks. You're spot on. I like the looks and the ideas of riding one or the other but both are quite tall (and I'm not!). Maybe I'll stick to my Harley instead LOL

I'm only a few hundred miles into this bike. But for me, one thing that helps with easing the kickstand down is to (I hope I describe this correctly) as the foot goes down and back to get to the kickstand, I bump the footpeg up and out of the way, then catch the kickstand put it down. With a little practice, it really eliminated that kickstand struggle. 

9 hours ago, Armyfazer said:

I'm only a few hundred miles into this bike. But for me, one thing that helps with easing the kickstand down is to (I hope I describe this correctly) as the foot goes down and back to get to the kickstand, I bump the footpeg up and out of the way, then catch the kickstand put it down. With a little practice, it really eliminated that kickstand struggle. 

exactly what i have mastered too....now i don't feel so smart...lol

• Haha 1