"Must Have" add ons

getpetey

Hi all. New FJ-09 owner/rider, 2015 model year. I enjoy tinkering around and adding/removing things to get my bike right for me. I figured I would ask for the opinion of the masses as to what are the "must have" upgrades, mods, deletes, etc? I'll be mostly around the city, but hoping to get out for a couple longer tours throughout the year. Really not enjoying the stock screen(shocker, I know!) In my mind I need to find a replacement touring windscreen and a shorty of some sort for around town to start. Cut down stock one maybe? I dunno. Anyway, TIA!

The FJ-09 is pretty good stock. Other then changing the windscreen I'd install a
front fender extender and
radiator guard as bare minimum things to do. I'm a big fan of heated grips too but that depends on the temps you'll ride in.
Also since yours is a 2015 you may want to address that oil pan drain plug that can be sheared off from going over a speed bump.

• Thumbsup 1

The FJ-09 is pretty good stock. Other then changing the windscreen I'd install a front fender extender and
radiator guard as bare minimum things to do. I'm a big fan of heated grips too but that depends on the temps you'll ride in.
Also since yours is a 2015 you may want to address that oil pan drain plug that can be sheared off from going over a speed bump.

Front fender extender? You have piqued my curiosity.

I tried cutting my stock screen down and it was ok but the mra touring screen I'm running now is much better. I believe other people have had success with cutting down their screens.

Since you're on a 2015 an ecu flash is a must, and like mentioned fix your oil plug as well. Other than that get your suspension dialed in, one of the few glaring shortcomings on this bike.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

The FJ-09 is pretty good stock. Other then changing the windscreen I'd install a front fender extender and

Front fender extender? You have piqued my curiosity. 
I tried cutting my stock screen down and it was ok but the mra touring screen I'm running now is much better. I believe other people have had success with cutting down their screens.

Since you're on a 2015 an ecu flash is a must, and like mentioned fix your oil plug as well. Other than that get your suspension dialed in, one of the few glaring shortcomings on this bike.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fenda-extenda-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09

@suitedsevens One of these. They help a bit to keep road gunk off your rad and pipes. The 3M adhesive strip included sucks so I mount mine with windshield adhesive.

• Supporting Member
I have never used the fender extender but will agree on the suggestion for a radiator guard.

Other must-have improvements will make themselves apparent as you ride it more, windscreen, seat, suspension etc. Some riders are content with the bike in stock configuration, some use it for touring or sport riding, your needs will be based on how you use it.
The nice thing about this bike is it’s versatility, I can spend the day tearing through canyons or mountain passes, or add bags and take off for a week long road trip.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Does the ECU re-flash help with the buzziness/buzz at highway speeds? thanks

Does the ECU re-flash help with the buzziness/buzz at highway speeds? thanks
No. Rubber foot pegs and grip puppies seem to be the solution for that.

switching to a plain jane(non-noise damping-no rubber donut) front sprocket made the vibrations feel more "natural" than the "odd-clunky bass/buzzy" vibrations that increased with rpm...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
No. Rubber foot pegs and grip puppies seem to be the solution for that.
switching to a plain jane(non-noise damping-no rubber donut) front sprocket made the vibrations feel more "natural" than the "odd-clunky bass/buzzy" vibrations that increased with rpm...
Also check your chain tension. 
Just had the 20,000 mile service done and they set the chain tension to Yamaha "spec"  squint.png (0.20-0.59 in) And an increase of buzz at high speed was noticed. Adjusted to ~1" all is well again... 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
My list:

1) Madstad Screen
2) Corbin Seat
3) ECU Flash
4) Mirror Extenders
5) Oil Pan screw replacement (At a minimum replace the plug with the Volkswagen version which is shorter)
6) Radiator Guard
7) Garmin 390LM GPS
8) Suspension (adjustment or replacement)
9) Perfect Squeeze phone holder
10) Top Case
11) Grip Puppies

• Thumbsup 1

I got a Tach protector, tail tidy, FJR foot pegs, radiator guard, and the front fender extender for the first few that were added. just ordered axle protection and battling between engine guards.  Front fender extender extends the front wheel cover to fling less dirt/rocks/water at the radiator/engine. I am also going to flash and get an exhaust soon from Vcyclenut.com

The flash does:

Fuel Changes to match your modifications
Ignition timing for better throttle response and more power
Customizing all 3 throttle modes
Disabling the speed limiter
Disabling the AIS
Disabling injector decal cut
Option to start in A mode
Disable o2 sensor or closed loop fueling
lower fan temp activation
Decrease engine braking on initial roll off
Enabling a quick shifter (up shift only)

• Supporting Member
Also check your chain tension. 
Just had the 20,000 mile service done and they set the chain tension to Yamaha "spec"  squint.png (0.20-0.59 in) And an increase of buzz at high speed was noticed. Adjusted to ~1" all is well again...  

Why do dealers always set chains to tight? Had my XR1200 in to have a rear wheel replaced under warranty and when I get the bike back the belt was as tight as a guitar string.

He who dies with the most toys wins.