"Must Have" add ons

getpetey

If you do sporty riding on curvy roads the weak suspension needs to be remedied. Replacing fork internals and rear shock is preferred but at least get proper springs. Stoltec Moto has them and no doubt there are other vendors. https://stoltecmoto.com/product-category/yamaha/fj-09/
Sounds like the suspension will need some attention. Cold here soon, so I'll spend some time trying to get it set up properly for me and then go from there. Still sounds like people don't like it much. It was the same on y "starter" bike, but honestly, I never found much wrong with it......  

• 1 month later...
for town commuting and some minor escapes you dont need to spend a lot of money for new upgraded suspension, just tweak yours. if you have some weight, front linear springs for your weight will help a lot.
about first upgrades, i would go for a honeycomb radiator grill protection (evotech tuning or yamaha which has side air panels vents and its the best for the temperature - tested).... front and rear fender extenders will be cheap and good to go (check powerbronze). heated grips are a good investment whatever are your riding habits and purpose of use.

in the link below its my setup, there are some upgrades if you want to check by yourself...
https://fj-09.org/post/76137/thread

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

• 3 months later...

I was thinking I haven't done much but actually it adds up. I had a Hepco & Becker Magnetic tank bag, a Nelson tail bag and a cell phone mount from my wrecked XSR900. I did spools, heated grips, mirror extenders, foot pegs and then a K-Tech rear shock. Currently it's in the shop having K-Tech fork cartridges done. I also bought a $750 AGV helmet that is an exact match for 2017 blue that was on sale for $350. Last weekend I picked up a a cheapo pair of Bilt shoes and Street & Steel riding pants from Cycle Gear. This is all for a brand new bike that I really didn't need to do anything for but riding fever is bad when you have a brand new bike sitting in the garage and it's snowing out. If I could just ride the damn thing I'd stop spending money. Oh yeh, I almost forgot, I had a custom pair of eyeglasses made with regular glass tinted green with bifocals (in case I stop and need to read something)for riding. I'm thinking most of this sounds perfectly reasonable to the people on this forum.   

Edited by Guest

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, chesterburnet said:

If I could just ride the damn thing I'd stop spending money.

Winter is the worst time for me, if the bike is sitting idle too long then I'm looking for stuff to buy for it.  At least I bought  some "practical" items recently, a case of oil and a few sets of tires - should get me to October.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 minutes ago, betoney said:

Winter is the worst time for me, if the bike is sitting idle too long then I'm looking for stuff to buy for it.  At least I bought  some "practical" items recently, a case of oil and a few sets of tires - should get me to October.

lol....how many oil changes and sets of tires do you expect to go through in 7 months?

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, chesterburnet said:

lol....how many oil changes and sets of tires do you expect to go through in 7 months?

Between Memorial day and just after Labor day I have almost 12,000 miles of road trips planned, add in leisure weekend riding and I will easily add another 15,000 miles to the odometer. 

I average 3 sets of tires and 4-5 oil changes a year.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 months later...

I sure wish that I could find someone that's making rear crash bars to protect my beautiful saddle bags.

The Kawasaki Versys has the same type of rear swing arm set up and there's more than one manufacture making crash bars for them.

So what gives?🙄

18 hours ago, jimster said:

I sure wish that I could find someone that's making rear crash bars to protect my beautiful saddle bags.

The Kawasaki Versys has the same type of rear swing arm set up and there's more than one manufacture making crash bars for them.

So what gives?🙄

The police in Australia are using these. I enquired today about the rear bars and was quoted AU$2500 for the bits. Have to be shipped from Japan as they are a Police Special. I dont need them that bad.

64346711_10157352417159136_8100741660981329920_o.jpg

They look to be mounted off the pass foot peg mount... I wouldn't call em crash bars but more like knock/tip over bars to protect the rear bags when it's parked...

I do like the sleek passenger seat cover/cowl/box?...

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

52 minutes ago, jdavis said:

I think they have a subframe arrangement on them, I would make my own if I had a better pic of the mounts.

I agree, more photos are needed... It could made multiple ways...

I really like what HIGDONION did for a rear sub frame cage on the MT-07 minus the passenger pegs...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

4 hours ago, norcal616 said:

I do like the sleek passenger seat cover/cowl/box?...

Me too. The French police have them as well, but I can’t find them on sale anywhere.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)