Winter time weather complaining and off topic discussions

It went from 80 to 40 in one day here in MO. I've ridden a couple days in the 40's. Regardless riding season is waning fast. I draw the line at upper 30's. And pretty soon it'll be upper 30's when I leave for work in the mornings. How you guys up north doing? Parked your bikes for the winter yet? If not I can't imagine it'll be too much longer now. 

I figured I'd start this thread since last year our weather bitching bled over into the "What did you do to your FJ today" thread and started to annoy people. Feel free to discuss anything you might be doing this winter, like snowmobiling or building a project  bike / car or your cat's new diet because he's over 20 pounds. Whatever, just have fun with it.

'15 FJ09

almost time to park my bikes here in Grand Rapids, Michigan- I work 3rd shift so its been in the mid 40s to upper 30s in the AM the last week so far... I will still ride around town to run errands during the day time when its the warmest...

Winter time for me is rebuild/modifying drag cars/trucks for next season...Im also excited to see all these "secret" projects everybody I know has planned, hardly anyone is looking for more power but more so with upgrades to "control systems", new suspension or switching the power modifier...

as for the bikes:

Red Bike(FJ-09)- needs new shoes, upgrade suspension that I was supposed to do earlier this year, change fluids,etc...

White Bike(HP-07- Hordpowered FZ-07)- recharge the air filter, find a filter skirt, tidy up the wiring, etc...

Dirt Bike- send out carb to be re-built, change out fluids, re-install the WR stuff like head light, tail light, etc...

I will be selling my HP-07 and WR-250F next year to make room for my next project...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Yea yea yea @texscottyd we know your winters aren't too cold. I might make it down your way-ish for a late / early trackday.

almost time to park my bikes here in Grand Rapids, Michigan- I work 3rd shift so its been in the mid 40s to upper 30s in the AM the last week so far... I will still ride around town to run errands during the day time when its the warmest...  
Winter time for me is rebuild/modifying drag cars/trucks for next season...Im also excited to see all these "secret" projects everybody I know has planned, hardly anyone is looking for more power but more so with upgrades to "control systems", new suspension or switching the power modifier...

as for the bikes:

Red Bike(FJ-09)- needs new shoes, upgrade suspension that I was supposed to do earlier this year, change fluids,etc...

White Bike(HP-07- Hordpowered FZ-07)- recharge the air filter, find a filter skirt, tidy up the wiring, etc...

Dirt Bike- send out carb to be re-built, change out fluids, re-install the WR stuff like head light, tail light, etc...

I will be selling my HP-07 and WR-250F next year to make room for my next project...

I'll be watching the internet this winter for a cheap WR / DRZ / dual sport. My heart wants a 450. My skill level wants a 250. My wallet wants neither.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
We are experiencing some very nice Autumn weather right now in the Pacific Northwest. Next week parts of Washington and Oregon are forecast to be low to mid 70's, I am planning a 2-day ride along the Columbia River Gorge and into Central/ Northeast Oregon.
As we get later into the year here in the PNW, we have to seize the opportunities as they arise, very soon the rainy season will be upon us.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Here in NW Louisiana, we have winter for January and the first 2 weeks of February. It's cold and wet and grey but the rest of the "Winter" is like fall or early spring. Once every 5 years or so we get a snow. More ice storms than snow.  The heated grips will be welcome that's for sure. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Usually, October presents plenty of riding opportunities here in coastal Maine. Days in the 50's are still common.

This year, so far, has been a bust. 40's and rain. Bleah. 40's I might do. Rain, no way. I HATE riding in the rain. It's bad enough being away from home and getting caught in it. Intentionally setting out in it? No way, no how.

The bike is ready and my gear still hangs over the back of the chair here in the den, so if a nice day pops up, I'm ready. I did run my textile jacket through the dry cleaners and put it away, but the lined leather is still out.

About the first week of November, it's unlikely (tho not impossible) that there'll riding weather so I wash and wax the bike and hook up the battery tender. Still a matter of 5 minutes to be ready to ride just in case.

About the only thing I have on tap for this Winter is a new chain and sprockets and maybe change out the antifreeze. Everything else is set up the way I want it as is.

I need to find other projects to keep me busy. I don't really mind the cold weather or the snow so much, but I'm easily bored and sitting around the house will drive me over the edge pretty quickly.

• Premium Member
In South Florida winter is the time to ride..... Summer sucks..... 8-)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Here in Southern California, it has not cooled down much. Last night was the first rain we have had in a very long time. Still using the A/C at night to help sleep. We went for a ride last weekend to Newcombs Ranch down Angeles Crest Highway and it was actually cooler weather at that elevation. Kind of looked like a time-lapse video of the clouds as they poured over Mount Baldy. Very nice ride. Have a feeling this weather will not last much longer. Some friends in Hawaii were saying they are experiencing some cold water tides, which in the past seems to reflect the Pacific coast getting hit with lots of rain and snow in the higher elevations... I guess time will tell. For now, going to enjoy every day we get to ride until the first snow up at Mountain High... then out come the Snowboards and Skis!

Here in Southern California, it has not cooled down much. Last night was the first rain we have had in a very long time. Still using the A/C at night to help sleep. We went for a ride last weekend to Newcombs Ranch down Angeles Crest Highway and it was actually cooler weather at that elevation. Kind of looked like a time-lapse video of the clouds as they poured over Mount Baldy. Very nice ride. Have a feeling this weather will not last much longer. Some friends in Hawaii were saying they are experiencing some cold water tides, which in the past seems to reflect the Pacific coast getting hit with lots of rain and snow in the higher elevations... I guess time will tell. For now, going to enjoy every day we get to ride until the first snow up at Mountain High... then out come the Snowboards and Skis!

Had to run up to Riverside from Temecula today. The lane splitting was a little soggy and more exciting than usual.

• Premium Member
Here in Southern California...
Had to run up to Riverside from Temecula today. The lane splitting was a little soggy and more exciting than usual.
I bet it was. Probably a sketchy around the 60 and 215! Seems they did not design that interchange for rain. Just sits on the freeway with nowhere to go. Just deep puddles and confused drivers because they can't see the lanes.

I bet it was. Probably a sketchy around the 60 and 215! Seems they did not design that interchange for rain. Just sits on the freeway with nowhere to go. Just deep puddles and confused drivers because they can't see the lanes.

Yeah, the rain did not improve that interchange at all ?

• Supporting Member
Have a feeling this weather will not last much longer.... I guess time will tell. For now, going to enjoy every day we get to ride

Agree with this 100%.  Maintenance can wait for the truly crappy days when I dont want to ride.

Maintenence plans -

I recently ordered a Scorpion slip on,  just like the one @captainscarlet installed, except in titanium.  It should look good on the red FJ.  https://fj-09.org/thread/7155/scorpion-serket-taper-stainless-slip

I also plan on having the suspension serviced, its been 2 years and 28,000 miles, I'm sure the oil is nasty.

Since I live about 90 minutes away from 2WheelDynoWorks, I'm going to schedule a session with Nels just so he can get everything 100% dialed in. 

Brake fluid need to be flushed.  I'm still not convinced I want to go through the PITA procedure of swapping to steel braided lines. 

Spend the rest of the crappy days building vacation routes on Google Maps. 

2019 calls for a week-long road trip through Northern California, Plumas NF/Tahoe/Yosemite area and a 9-day trip through Utah and Colorado as a start.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***