Winter time weather complaining and off topic discussions

• Premium Member
Beautiful weather continues here in Oregon. It'll get cool and rainy soon, but I never "put the bike up" for winter. I continue to ride and commute year round. The only thing that stops me is ice/snow, but that's usually only a handful of days around here, maybe 5-10 total. I'm just far enough south to avoid most of it; I'm only an hour south of Portland but we get about half the snow they do, maybe less.

I live near Duluth MN, northern part of the state. There has been snow in the air for the last week, but nothing sticking yet.

The Suzuki DR250 got winterized and put away yesterday. I'll continue to commute on the Tracer GT as long as the morning commute is in the 30's. This is my first bike with heated grips which is really nice for those chilly mornings.

I enjoy the change of seasons and winter brings snowmobiling, ice fishing, skiing and so forth.

Central Minnesota a few days ago

snow.jpg

Thank goodness I found a bike that will get me through the white stuff without difficulty.

new-bike.jpg

40,50,60's here for at least a few days more though. I need 400 miles to get in 10,000 for the riding season. May have to put that on the potential new addition. Hey, my birthday is in a few days, would make a great 49th Birthday present.

• 2 weeks later...
I picked up a fun little guy to keep me entertained this winter. I flew to LA last weekend and road tripped home. Made it home without a hitch. Had a load of fun in the process.

ntjIwwq.jpg?1

3FKwiTh.jpg

fUdSwVM.jpg?1

3BZNi6T.jpg?1

'15 FJ09

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Seattle is still pretty warm with daytime temps in the mid 50's and the night time lows around 40.

Heated grips should show up today, with a (hopefully) quick install, I should be ready for the cold weather if it decides to show up this year.

• Premium Member
About the same here. A little warmer during the day. Heated grips work great. The hand guards are my problem. I have the KTM, but some cold still gets through on the top by my thumbs. Maybe Vstrom guards or better gloves?

Still riding here in NY , my playground is 100- 150 miles north of NYC. It seems to be a fast fall, leaves seemed to have changed faster. I did about 300 miles sunday. It was about 45-50 degrees with the heated gear I had no problems. So no complaining yet !

• Premium Member
Seattle is still pretty warm with daytime temps in the mid 50's and the night time lows around 40.  
Heated grips should show up today, with a (hopefully) quick install, I should be ready for the cold weather if it decides to show up this year.
Heated grips came today, took about 90 minutes to install and test. Hardest part was folding the cords into the housing the exact way they want them to go. It took about 30 minutes to get that to work. Hint.... Assemble the unit off the bike and then just attach it to the handlebar. It makes aligning the cables much easier 
Most of the time was spent taking the plastic off the bike, the work to install was simple.

• Supporting Member
Heated grips came today, took about 90 minutes to install and test. Hardest part was folding the cords into the housing the exact way they want them to go. It took about 30 minutes to get that to work. Hint.... Assemble the unit off the bike and then just attach it to the handlebar. It makes aligning the cables much easier 
Most of the time was spent taking the plastic off the bike, the work to install was simple.

The heated grips were something I had never used in the past, now I cant imagine ever having a bike without them.
Don't go overboard with the heat settings, they get HOT!!  For your low/mid/high settings, maybe try 3/5/7 to start with and then adjust from there.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

The heated grips were something I had never used in the past, now I cant imagine ever having a bike without them.
Don't go overboard with the heat settings, they get HOT!!  For your low/mid/high settings, maybe try 3/5/7 to start with and then adjust from there.

I have initially set them to 1/4/9 - will adjust as necessary - The 9 is just to make sure I can feel the heat when it is real cold, but I may lower it after seeing how it works -  thanks for the advice....