• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Fuel Gauge Accuracy

• Premium Member
I'm finding the low fuel warning somewhat confusing. I've only had the bike for two refills and both times I was only able to put in 12-13L, implying the fuel warning is kicking in while I have a good 5-6L remaining. 
Alternatively, my average fuel consumption on my last tank was 4.6L/100km meaning if I used the 15.4L available before the warning kicks in (manual says this occurs at 2.6L remaining), I should have ridden 335km before the warning. Instead I had the warning kick in at 225km.

All I can gather from this is that the fuel gauge is wildly inaccurate and the low fuel warning kicks in with approximately 1/3 of a tank remaining.
You need to locate the nearest Yamaha Regional office, fill a liter container with fuel, ride over to the office, douse the bike with the fuel and set fire to it in protest. How dare they unleash wildly inaccurate gauges on an unsuspecting public! Alternatively, you might fill the bike up, fill a liter container, and carry it with you when you reach the 225km mark. Ride it til it runs dry, note the total distance covered, regardless of what the fuel gauge says, pour the liter in the tank and head for the nearest gas station.  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the answer is.... Fill up when you hit 180 miles.
Works for me.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

This seems like a reasonable and measured response that is commensurate with the severity of the situation.  Bonus: I'll get to be fleetingly famous for a day or so! 
I don't really care, it's just weird that the warning kicks in so early.  Probably just a calibration issue *shrug*
//QED

I'm all for filling up based on odometer, but this is ridiculous. My reserve flashing starts around 130 miles, when there's around 2 gallons left in the tank. Worth pursuing with the dealer?
I'd say yours is off. I get 170 ish, depending on my throttle hand, before the flash starts. Take your owners manual in with you & show them what it says. Should be around .8 US gallons left when the flashing starts.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

I'm all for filling up based on odometer, but this is ridiculous. My reserve flashing starts around 130 miles, when there's around 2 gallons left in the tank. Worth pursuing with the dealer?
I get the same thing.  Three tanks in a row the reserve starts flashing at 225km (139 miles).  It's really annoying because I know there's at least 1/3 of the tank remaining.  My old star 950 would hit 275km (170 miles) before the light came on, and it had a 17L tank. 
I can deal with the non-linear gauge, but having the light flashing when I know I have a good 100km of range left is really annoying.
//QED

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: I'm an idiot and wasn't filling my tank completely. Assuming my gauge was the problem I went and ran out of gas at about 30 miles into reserve, then filled up until near overflowing. I rode then for 163 miles before the reserve light flashed. So I'm getting about 40 mpg (2-3 below reported average) with a balance of commuting and weekend jaunts on 91-93 octane gas. In my defense, my previous three bikes didn't seem to have as much tank space up top that you need to fill, so don't rely on the pump shut off.

UPDATE: I'm an idiot and wasn't filling my tank completely. Assuming my gauge was the problem I went and ran out of gas at about 30 miles into reserve, then filled up until near overflowing. I rode then for 163 miles before the reserve light flashed. Figure I'm getting about 38-39 mpg with a balance of commuting and weekend jaunts on 91-93 octane gas. In my defense, my previous three bikes didn't seem to have as much tank space up top that you need to fill, so don't rely on the pump shut off.
If I relied on pump shutoff on my KTM 690 Enduro R I'd never get more than 0.2 ltr of gas into the tank.  :D
It's a rear-subframe / gas-tank that is very shallow at the back where the fuel filler is located, behind the seat!

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
The first half of the gauge is one bar. therefore it takes 100+ kms before you will see it move.
Mine has to hit over 150kms before it moves. I use the trips1-2 to keep track of how far I've gone and when I need to fuel next.

Approx 300+ to a tank for me is average.

100 miles before the first bar going off is about right, I'll do around 120 but it has been a bit lower. The next thing you'll notice is the other bars drop pretty quickly. In my case they can all go out within 60-70 miles - which makes it about 180-190 till reserve.
As has been said the first bar represents half a tank.

Archived