Frame sliders/Crash bars

• 2 weeks later...

It fits well and protects fine. Install is easy. I have dropped bike 2 times and it protected bike fine. The hard Givi bag did not fair as well but it was easy to change out the lid.

Did the Crash Bobbins safe the top of your bike.

Mine with GIVI side panniers as well.

• Premium Member

It fits well and protects fine. Install is easy. I have dropped bike 2 times and it protected bike fine. The hard Givi bag did not fair as well but it was easy to change out the lid.
Did the Crash Bobbins safe the top of your bike.  
Mine with GIVI side panniers as well.
The only things that hit the ground were the SW Motec crash bars , the hand gauards and the bags. A little paint on the crash bars covered up the scratch. The hand gauards were scuffed but a abrasive pad fixed that. I also have axel sliders and engine covers. These were not harmed.

• 2 months later...
they work. :) 

Kinda. They did a lousy job of protecting your engine case.

lemme be more specific, i guess:  they work!  better than not having them.  zero damage to plastics. blinker took a tiny bit of rash...first time i've ever seen a blinker survive a bike being on it's side.  

saddle bags and handguards got dinged as well.

20160206_161450-X3.jpg

Alejandro posted: "(The only caveat: the shop that installed it for me said that one of the bolts was the wrong length...)"

I got a different brand of sliders (Woodcraft) and their instructions stated that the left side bolt is longer. Perhaps this is what the shop noticed???

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

So, reading through the posts, it sounds like in a slow speed get off or tip over, the Givi crash bars will still allow a bit of damage to the engine, but the H&B, SW Motec and Higdonion keep the engine and plastics from hitting the ground?

I'm trying to figure out what combo of sliders, bar ends and crash bars I should strap on to try and minimize damage to the bike when (and not if) I drop it at a pull out. I like the look of the bike pretty clean, so I'm trying to avoid a full Mad Max.

So, reading through the posts, it sounds like in a slow speed get off or tip over, the Givi crash bars will still allow a bit of damage to the engine, but the H&B, SW Motec and Higdonion keep the engine and plastics from hitting the ground? 
I'm trying to figure out what combo of sliders, bar ends and crash bars I should strap on to try and minimize damage to the bike when (and not if) I drop it at a pull out. I like the look of the bike pretty clean, so I'm trying to avoid a full Mad Max.

in my experience, sliders/crashbars/etc can really go either way.  i've seen easy low-sides where the bike just slid along gently and barely had an damage at all...and i've seen easy low sides where the slider hooked on something and cartwheeled the bike into oblivion.  or chunked the frame. 

it's really all a roll of the dice.  i broad-sided that car the other week at low speed.  around 10mph.  i just lucked out, i guess, that the damage wasn't worse and i could ride away.  

ps - i'm at the racetrack ~100 days a year, give or take.  i shoot motorcycles for a living. i've seen a WHOLE. LOT. OF. CRASHES. haha! literally over a thousand.