Best heated gear

rtaylor522

• Premium Member
I posted this in another thread, but here's my Heatroller setup:

Heatroller accessible on handlebar.
ySKdps9.jpg

I mounted it using an old bicycle reflector bracket, some sticky-backed Velcro, and a zip tie.
won42dK.jpg

Coax extension cables run back to the seat area for the jacket plug-in. I'd like to have a cleaner setup.
WwmgJiY.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another Keis fan - I use a heated vest and insoles. as the poster above says, you can plug the insoles into the jacket to reduce the leads. 
I have also bought a pair of Gerbing G12 gloves which are very comfy and warm but not tested long enough to give a strong recommendation. Say they are waterproof but not tested this feature yet.
Wessie, I had waistcoat, but if you get a chance, try the keis jacket. I use it instead of the jacket liner, less bulk, and the warm collar is lush. They've just bought out a new model, (red) so there may be some deals on older(black) Mind you, better off buying a kayak at the moment..

...I use plastic shields from a Suzuki VStrom when its cold out...
I think I will try these out in place of my KTM guards. Look to provide better protection, and will free up space on the handlebar... need space for the heat controller. The list continues to grow... tongue.png
If you want something just for winter these work well. Barkbusters blizzards. Screw in bar end, Velcro other. They're not like the old muffs, but a stiff fabric. 

IMG-3911.jpg

Another Keis fan - I use a heated vest and insoles. as the poster above says, you can plug the insoles into the jacket to reduce the leads. 
I have also bought a pair of Gerbing G12 gloves which are very comfy and warm but not tested long enough to give a strong recommendation. Say they are waterproof but not tested this feature yet.
Wessie, I had waistcoat, but if you get a chance, try the keis jacket. I use it instead of the jacket liner, less bulk, and the warm collar is lush. They've just bought out a new model, (red) so there may be some deals on older(black) Mind you, better off buying a kayak at the moment..
Apologies to the OP for me having a natter with others who have the UK branded heated clothing. 
I've used the Keis X25 (black jacket) for a couple of years. Had to sell it recently and buy one of the new Red/Black (J501) ones having gone down 8" in size. The Red is lighter and possibly because it is a snugger fit, seems to be better. I used to use the black for off the bike evening wear. I'm not so sure about the writing on the back of the new jacket, advertising it's Heated Apparel - making it obvious it isn't just any old fleece/jacket!

I have a question about the heated soles, do you use a heat controller? I went for the trousers and insoles this time and am battling to figure out the logic of not having the trouser to insole on the heat controller. From what I can work out, two controllers are required - but my biggest beef is how on earth can you turn them on (assuming the controller switching is latched like the jacket and trousers, i.e. you need to switch them on after every power up)? Might just have to ignore the integrated cabling of the trousers and run the cable from the insoles to the jacket and get a single controller and a 3 way wiring harness.

Sorry Steve, I just have jacket, not insoles or gloves. The lady at Keis uk was very knowledgable when I phoned, maybe give her a ring. BTW, sure it was you I bumped into at Whiteways in summer, you had red/white leather jacket? If it was, thanks for the chat and real world advice. 

Red/White/ bits of black jacket sounds like me. Yip do go to Whiteways - thanks !
I called Keis today, a few times, turns out their phones were down and had a return call from a lady. Seems my assumptions were quite founded - her advice was to ditch the trouser wiring and use the wiring supplied with the insoles and get a light-weight controller. She agreed with me regarding the controller at boot level. Ordered the bits, will have in the next few days, hopefully the Kayaking weather is abating - not that I really want to test out my new Richa waterproof leathers ( dull black, not the vibrant match my lid leathers - which became too big)

Glad you rang Keis, she is so helpful. You'll have a chance to test your heated stuff next week looking at the forecast sad.png Def you at Whiteways. Tail light bag ? I had just got bike (in car that day though) and you were very helpful. Check out the barkbusters blizzard guards I mentioned earlier, the stock guards are pants, in summer and winter..

• Premium Member
I posted this in another thread, but here's my Heatroller setup: 
Heatroller accessible on handlebar.
I mounted it using an old bicycle reflector bracket, some sticky-backed Velcro, and a zip tie.

Coax extension cables run back to the seat area for the jacket plug-in. I'd like to have a cleaner setup.
WwmgJiY.jpg

I didn't like the way this routed either, so I moved the cord so it comes up directly in front of the seat, which is where the cord comes out from my heated jacket. You can still see the cord at the front end of the seat by the gas tank, but it is easier to attach/remove the cable to my jacket, and I don't have to worry about that cable dangling off the side of the bike

• Premium Member
I moved the cord so it comes up directly in front of the seat, which is where the cord comes out from my heated jacket.
I thought about that but it would be less ideal for me. The cord for my heated jacket comes out of the side of my Aerostich, basically from a hip-level side pocket.

• Premium Member
I moved the cord so it comes up directly in front of the seat, which is where the cord comes out from my heated jacket.
I thought about that but it would be less ideal for me. The cord for my heated jacket comes out of the side of my Aerostich, basically from a hip-level side pocket.
Makes sense, didn't think about the fact that different gear might require different locations.....

• Premium Member
Insoles: I just use one controller for jacket and insoles. I do not insert the controller in the pocket as instructed. I just leave the lead connected in the pocket and forget it exists. I then put the controller on the end of the lead coming from the bike. I connect the insoles into the base of the jacket.

With the way I have it wired the controller is now limiting the current into both jacket & insoles.

Disadvantage is that you have to have both at the same setting. Also, the controller is now exposed to the weather and it has got upset at least twice in torrential downpours. I think water goes in through the rubber gaiter on the wiring so I have sealed it with self amalgamating tape. Seems to have worked.

I find I very rarely need the controller on anything other than the lowest setting, even though the current is split through more circuits. Perhaps the circuit is voltage regulated not current regulated so work out okay. If this is the case then probably wise not to use the high setting as the controller might not like the extra current drawn.

Sleeves: yes, heated sleeves might be better as I might need fewer layers on my arms. Not sure I would like a heated collar. I have a very short neck and feel a bit restricted even with a thin neck tube.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 months later...

Just purchased a set of the Joe Rocket battery operated gloves. My hands don't tolerate cold well and anything under 50 degrees has me wanting more. I've worn them down to 40 degrees on the medium setting and was fine. Not cheap, but if you figure in the cost of buying a pair of gloves and a controller, they're comparable as far as price is concerned and you're not tethered to the bike. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived