Full face helmets with internal drop down visors.

I have the Shoei GT-Air and LOVE it. The drop down sun visor is very nice and the helmet is very quiet. The most important factor to consider when buying a helmet though is head shape, not all L or XL are the same, not even close.
I previously had a Scorpion helmet and after a few hours of riding it put a lot of pressure on my forehead, with my GT-Air I can ride all day long with no discomfort whatsoever, it fits like a glove.
It's funny that you say that because same thing is hapening to me: it hurts real bad after 2 hours. Sometimes I have to open it (it's modular) in order to release the pressure. Did you get the Shoei on sale? Price is not even close...

FJ-09 2015

• Supporting Member
I have the Shoei GT-Air and LOVE it. The drop down sun visor is very nice and the helmet is very quiet. The most important factor to consider when buying a helmet though is head shape, not all L or XL are the same, not even close.
I previously had a Scorpion helmet and after a few hours of riding it put a lot of pressure on my forehead, with my GT-Air I can ride all day long with no discomfort whatsoever, it fits like a glove.
It's funny that you say that because same thing is hapening to me: it hurts real bad after 2 hours. Sometimes I have to open it (it's modular) in order to release the pressure. Did you get the Shoei on sale? Price is not even close...

No, I didnt find the Shoei on sale and unfortunately, they are VERY expensive.  However, I have the mindset of "you cant put a price on comfort". 

To be able to ride 10+ hour days, for a week straight, - in comfort - while on a road trip is very much worth the money to me.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
and my wife ?
Nice one ? How the heck did you tear your cuff ? Guess the tracer helps, a very light clutch. BTW, What's the bike in your avatar ? 

+1 on the EXO-1100 (mines the neon yellow JAG) regarding it being a bit narrow and noisy but I find the shield is ok but fogs sometimes, and it is noisy but very light and decent quality.

I don't remember how I tore the left but I tore my right while lifting a drain rodder one handed while recovering from cuff surgery on my left. Even after repair they're never the same, and tear more easily again...

That's my 1961 Matchless G80CS 500cc single I restored in 77 and converted to a cafe racer with an adapter plate to fit a Mikuni carb but still no generator, as ignition is by magneto with no battery required. The headlight is a dummy unit and tail light powered by a dry cell battery in the tail. Great handling, quick, torquey, low and sounds great through the canyons.

• 2 weeks later...
Have had a GT-Air for a few years and about 15k miles. You've got to have a Shoei-shaped head to enjoy this helmet, as opposed to, say, an Arai-shaped head like my wife's.
Can fog up in colder weather, and even on humid 50-degree days. Never went for the pinlock screen, and that might help. If you just crack the visor open or ride with the chin vent open the fog goes away, but then you get a stream of cool air on your forehead. Comfort is not too bad on hot days as long as you keep moving.
Since you're concerned about glare, Invision Speed Tint is recommended. Only problem is that it interferes with pinlock: you can't have both. I have the Tint and love it.
Been riding with full-face since 1973, and this is the best ever.
dirtup

Agree that clear visor is best for GT-Air. However, the Speed Tint is a strip about 1" wide that applies to the inside of your visor right at the top. When doubled up with the internal shade, it makes riding into the sun in the colder months a whole lot more bearable. The great thing about adjustable visors is that you can limit light or glare from a source above you while still having a clear view of the road ahead.
dirtup

• Premium Member
For UK riders, M&P have a batch of the original Shoei Neotec in white for £300 - modular flip helmet with drop down visor. Hurry before they go.
https://www.mandp.co.uk/clearance/shoei-neotec-flip-front-helmet.html

I bought an anthracite one when they had the last batch. Great helmet for the price.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
3 hours ago, piotrek said:

Finally picked up a replacement for my rudimentary Bell Vortex... HJC RPHA 70 ST (drop down visor, pinlock...). Motorcycle show... moment of weakness... done.

That’s the helmet I’m considering replacing my Schuberth with. 

Let’s go Brandon

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just dropped the dime on the Shoei GT-Air. Apparently Shoei is coming out with a new version in 2019 and retailers seem to be dumping the "old" line. Bought one for $369.00 from Motorcyclecloseouts.com a Dauntless model.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, 2linby said:

Well I just dropped the dime on the Shoei GT-Air. Apparently Shoei is coming out with a new version in 2019 and retailers seem to be dumping the "old" line. Bought one for $369.00 from Motorcyclecloseouts.com a Dauntless model.

That is a GREAT price on the GT-Air.  I have had mine for a few years and really like it. 

One thing to note, you can fine tune the fit with different thickness Cheek Pads  if you have chubby cheeks or a slim jaw. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

32 minutes ago, betoney said:

That is a GREAT price on the GT-Air.  I have had mine for a few years and really like it. 

One thing to note, you can fine tune the fit with different thickness Cheek Pads  if you have chubby cheeks or a slim jaw. 

Thanks for the link. I've already scoped those out. Based on the initial fit I hope I don't need to drop another $55. But its there if needed. I did this with my current Arai and it made a big difference in the comfort level. 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the Bell Qualifier DLX with a transition lens for $199.

Great helmet for the price and the transition lens is really nice.

Heres the link to the non MIPS version, $199

bell_qualifier_dlx_helmet_solid.jpg
WWW.CYCLEGEAR.COM

The Bell Qualifier DLX Helmet raises the bar by including a host of features virtually unrivaled. A fully removable and washable interior is complimented by baked-in compatibility with Sena...

...The MIPS version is $269

Edited by brewhaha

On 2/2/2019 at 4:21 AM, brewhaha said:

Great helmet for the price and the transition lens is really nice.

In my optical world a transition lens is where it darkens in sunlight, returns to clear when not.   Photochromic is the tech term I bleeve.   My prescription spex work this way.   Did not know that this feature can be found on m/cycle visors.   Are we comparing apples with apples I wonder?

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.