Need some Commuting Advice.......

• Premium Member
I have accepted a new job in Seattle, (about 30 miles from home) and given the costs of parking ($15/day via car or free via motorcycle) I think I'm going to start commuting on my FJ09.

My work schedule starts at 7:00am, so I'm likely to avoid the primary rush hour traffic. I'm hoping those who have done this for a while can provide me with some advice on what gear I need to make this comfortable and safe. Weather is pretty mild here in Seattle with most days over 35 degrees, although it rains a lot from November through March. I do have a car to use when it snows, but daily parking will run $15+ per day vs free for the motorcycle.

My current set up:

[ol type=decimal][*]2015 FJ-09[*]Madstad Windscreen[*]Corbin seat (heated)[*]Shad Top Case and Side Bags[*]First Gear neon green jacket w/armor [*]First Gear Kilamanjaro Pants w/suspenders and armor (Gray with reflective strips) [/ol]
What other gear would you recommend?

Heated vest?
Heated gloves?
LED lights?
Electrical mods to handle more accessories?

Any and all advice is appreciated.......

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@pcwizz oem heated grips? I love mine. I commute to work on the FJ 90% of the time and have pretty much the same setup. As you... but different brand seat and windscreen.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
@pcwizz oem heated grips? I love mine. I commute to work on the FJ 90% of the time and have pretty much the same setup. As you... but different brand seat and windscreen.
Do you find you don't need the additional lights or heated vest? I'm guessing the heated grips eliminate the need for better gloves? 

I use Barkbuster Blizzards and the heated grips in the winter and will ride until temps get below 30°F. I have a set of "winter" gloves, but I found that my regular leather Alpinestars gloves let more of the heat from the grips through so I actually prefer them.

Lights are a whole different debate... I feel that I could have 10 spotlights on my bike and at some point some a-hole is going to say they didn't see. So I just ride defensively, try to anticipate actions, and stay away from other vehicles as much as possible. I don't want to put a bunch of lights and high viz and then assume someone can see me... Having said that, I think extra viz and lights are a good idea but I have not added anything other than a LED tailight with brake light flasher for added visibilty.

Hoping the drivers in Seattle are better than Atlanta!

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I commute 100 miles a day round trip, but I'm in sunny southern California, so my experience is probably a bit different. I can say I worried about it a lot more when I started. When I started I'd bring a pile of stuff for every possible scenario loading up a tailbag or luggage depending on my bike at the time and always had a tank bag. Going into my fourth year of it, I only bring the minimum with me. Tire plug kit, 10mm wrench, and a combo allen/screw tip/socket set under the seat, and everything I need for the day in my backpack. You can't actually prepare for everything, and the bike is a lot more fun with less stuff on it.

I always wear an armored jacket, but I've given up on riding pants. I went to knee/shin guards for a while, but gave those up too. I wear armored shoes, but they're the type you can also wear off the bike all day, so they aren't exactly bomb proof. No one who rides a motorcycle can honestly claim safety is their number one concern, and while it'd definitely a consideration, I prioritize my daily comfort and risk a little more skin loss. It'll come down to what you're comfortable with. I rarely bring a tank bag, and never the hard cases. I do have full Gore-Tex gear including full boots for the occasion it rains, and a couple winters ago it rained a lot. Good rain gear is awesome! I do recommend a neck-gaiter, suited to your climate. It makes the ride much more pleasant by helping absorb the impact from bugs, debris, and rain. Speaking of debris, you will get hit with lots of things. Rocks dropped by oncoming traffic hurt. Trash bag trajectories are hard to predict. Birds will literally fly into your head because they don't have anything better to do. Okay, the birds are something you might encounter touring or just riding for fun, but still. I never leave a parking lot with my visor open.

Heated grips are awesome. Definitely get those. If you anticipate a lot of cold weather, actual storm handguards will make a world of difference too, even more than the heated grips, but the combination is heaven when it's cold and wet. The stock guards on the FJ are worthless in this aspect. They block a little wind, but nothing like an actual handguard will.

I'm convinced extra lighting is worthless, unless you're riding at night and are only counting on it to help YOU see better. I've done all hi-viz gear, I've done auxiliary lighting, but there are only two kinds of people on the road: those who are paying attention, and those who aren't. The extra lighting and hi-viz gear, in my 3+ years of riding 25k a year commuting, has made absolutely no difference. Flashing your high beam might help when you're passing, but again, only if they're paying attention and actually check their mirrors. This becomes very apparent here as we can lane split: people who are actually paying attention to what they're doing stand out. Assume no one sees you, get used to it, and be okay with it. It's not going to change until all cars are completely autonomous.

Other than heated grips, I just like having a phone mount, and a bluetooth headset. It makes it very easy to follow GPS directions if you need to, and being able to listen to music or radio for the hour I spend one way is nice. I can even take a call, if I feel so inclined. I'm also a fan of an upgraded taillight. I have a Motodynamic, and I think others have a blaster something or other. The stock taillight on the FJ is pathetic in comparison. Having a brighter light that flashes in peoples faces makes it very clear to the few people not looking at their phones that you are indeed slowing down. I'd very much suggest a better taillight over adding more forward facing lighting. Most people are only looking forward.

The most important thing though, is having the right attitude. You have to be vigilant, you have to be quick, you have to be relaxed, and you have to enjoy it. Any day I can't do all four of those is a day I can't ride, because all it takes is one person looking down at their phone for half a second to end my life. You gotta be ready for it, you gotta accept that it happens, and you gotta move on with your life without getting too wound up over it. My commute is often the best part of my day.

Apologies if I make it sound like I'm assuming you're new to riding. I am new to riding (only 3.5 years!) You're here, on a motorcycle forum, so I assume you're a perfectly capable rider, and with probably many years more riding experience than me. These are just my observations from commuting A LOT, 5 days a week, for a few years.

@angrygirafe ... you make a lot of good points.

The phone/GPS mount and Bluetooth communicator or the like is a great suggestion too. I use mine every day I commute.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

A great set of suggestions above. The only additional things I can think of would be a spare pair of gloves (as its horrible putting wet gloves back on) and some hydrophobic visor spray (I use Nikwax visor proof) to help you deal with the rain.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

all good points above... it also don't hurt to leave a few mins earlier during nasty weather to allow you to ride at a slower pace and not feel rushed...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I've commuted 8 months out of the year in Wisconsin (100 miles round trip), and I've ridden through Seattle traffic, so here's my recommendations:

-Heated grips (OEM) with better hand guards like the inexpensive KTM guards. In cold, rainy weather the hand guards help immensely by keeping the cold air and water off your hands.

-A good helmet with a visor that doesn't fog easily. My Pinlock visor works great, but can be a little finicky. When you're riding in cold weather in a heavy rain in the middle of heavy traffic you HAVE to be able to see clearly. Having to constantly fight a fogging and water-dripping helmet visor is not fun.

- Pants with armored or padded knees. This isn't only for crash protection, but when riding any distance below 45 degrees my knees got cold and stiff and made walking uncomfortable afterward. The armored knees in my Aerostich solved that.

-Heated jacket - not just a heated vest. Someone convinced me to buy the more expensive jacket, and I am glad to have the heated arms.

-Riding gear that is easy and effective. If it takes you 30 minutes to get suited up for the riding conditions - and then you can't move because of all the layers you're wearing - you'll start taking the car instead of the bike. I really like Aerostich gear. With my Combat Light boots, one-piece Roadcrafter and heated jacket, I can go from street clothes to ready-to-ride in literally 30 seconds. Getting it off takes 20 seconds. It's expensive, but you will ride more. Look at it this way, the parking money you save in three months of commuting will buy you $1,300 in good riding gear. After 90 days you're ahead of the game.

-If the temps are below freezing and there is precipitation - take the car. I regularly rode down to 15 degrees Fahrenheit, but only when the roads were clear and dry. If there was rain in the forecast for the ride home and the temp was below 32, I left the bike at home. I had no desire to crash on ice.

My best advice, however, is to just start now with what you have. You'll figure what works for you and what does't. If you take a ferry, talk with the other riders to see works for them - there's always a bunch of them parked on the bow.

• Premium Member
Keep the bike in sound operating condition. This is obvious but a commute like yours may expose maintenance issues. Doing the pre-ride stuff that we usually neglect like inspecting controls and checking tire pressure could prevent an unpleasant situation like being late or worse.

In my experience optimizing your post-arrival routine is worth the effort. Scope out the parking area and find a safe space if you can. It might not be a lined parking spot. I have the luxury of an underground garage and park in a space with wide support columns at three corners. No one can get a car close enough to touch it.

Is the area secure? Can you lock the bike? A robust chain will go a long way toward deterring the opportunistic thief, and you might be able to store it at work to avoid transport on the bike. What about a cover? It offers protection from the elements and is the first line of defense against casual theft.

How will you store your gear at work? I hang my jacket on a wide, sturdy hanger behind my office door.  For the helmet and gloves I purchased http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-wall-mount-helmet-holder.html.

It may seem like a frivolous expense but it keeps my lid up and out of the way. It’s worth at least a few cents per day to me, and thinking about it this way, eventually it pays for itself. In your case with around about $300/month savings you’ve got some money to spend on niceties. I like seeing the helmet during the day - it’s a reminder that I get to ride home.

You will be getting to know new co-workers, and people seeing your gear can be a good conversation starter. Chances are there will be other riders. Folks will naturally keep an eye on your bike when they know which is yours.

Commuting is great. To me it’s worth thinking about the details and spending some money to dial things in. Seattle traffic blows so anything you can do to increase comfort and reduce distractions is a worthy investment. Enjoy and ride safe!

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member
A great set of suggestions above. The only additional things I can think of would be a spare pair of gloves (as its horrible putting wet gloves back on) and some hydrophobic visor spray (I use Nikwax visor proof) to help you deal with the rain.
wow, great advice, I wouldn't have thought of that.......

A lot of good suggestions made in this thread. I'll add one that a lot of people don't usually think about. And this is for everyone really, commuting or just casual riding.

Increasing your time on a motorcycle increases the odds of the possible accidents. In the event of worst case scenario. Medical air lift insurance.

Here in CA I've been a member for several years now with https://reachair.com/ Obviously I hope to never ever need it. But I commute 60 miles a day and ride the canyons on weekends as well as track days.
Getting injured and having a $50,000 helicopter ride would make things much worse.

I would check/google your local areas for providers like the one we have here. For mine, it's only $65 a year and covers your entire household as well.
Look into your medical insurance and see if and how much they cover for air lift emergencies. Most do not.

• Premium Member
Thanks for all the great advice, there are a ton of jewels in the responses above. I'll take some time to sort through them and prioritize them for my commute. I have a few weeks before I start, so I'm going to try the commute before I start and see how (at least the ride in) goes.

Some of the things I think I will do....

1) Heated Grips - Sounds like this is a must

2) Use my current gear for a while to see what works, and what doesn't work.

3) I'm guessing since it's November I'll need some sort of heated vest or jacket - this will be a priority to work out quickly, after riding in a few days

4) Look at replacing the hand guards - didn't think about this one, but the originals are pretty useless - I'll start looking for this immediately

5) Parking at work is in an underground garage, with dedicated motorcycle parking. Plenty of room from what I saw the 2-3 times I have been there.

6) I have a top case and side bags which I was planning on leaving on. Planning on storing my gear in the cases while I'm working, and a place to carry anything I need to take home. (laptop, etc.)

7) If there is a place to hang my gear inside to dry during the day, I'll do that, but I'm not expecting that will be possible. I may have moist gear for my ride home, but hopefully the insides will be dry.

8) I get to work an early schedule, (same as my new boss) so I can avoid most of the rush hour traffic in the morning, and I should get out before the heavy part of the afternoon commute.

This would have been better if I started in the summer so I could work out the details in good weather, but it's going to save me about $100/week and I get to keep riding.....

Thanks for all the advice, I start end of November, and will update this thread with my experiences.

Archived