Need some Commuting Advice.......

On 12/7/2018 at 7:26 PM, David Schwartz said:

I agree on the Aerostitch, but I will have to save up for a while to afford a $1300.00 riding suit.............

Yeah its a tough nut to crack, but I've already had mine for 12 twelve years, so consider it an investment, not just a purchase.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been a daily commuter on my bike for 25+ years. My current commute is 52 miles. For me it simply boils down to two must haves:

1.       One piece riding suit. A mesh for the summer, and a waterproof one for winter. I wear a suit to work, so I can get all dressed at home, put on my one piece, and when I get to work I’m ready to roll in 30 seconds.  I do keep my work shoes in the office so I don’t have to lug them around.   I currently use the Olympia Motosports one piece suits. The price/performance can’t be beat.

2.       Heated gear. Gloves, jackets, and boot sole inserts. I’ve ridden as low as 9 degrees without problems (I’m in NorCal so we do have some temperature swings, but generally it’s not terribly cold).

That’s it. Everything else I use for regular riding gets nabbed as needed, but the two items for me are the must have.

Also, you need to nudge your legislature and governor to allow lane sharing. It’s the cherry on top of commuting on a bike!

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

@maximo If price isn't a huge object, you can't beat the one piece Aerostich riding suits for over your work clothes.

For heated gear, I would go with Warm & Safe. They have a new heated, fitted shirt, or you can go with a jacket liner. They also have gloves, glove liners and insoles. I would highly recommend the wireless controller.

2003 ST1300A,  2017 PCX-150,  2019 Tracer 900 GT

18 hours ago, stgolfer said:

If price isn't a huge object, you can't beat the one piece Aerostich riding suits for over your work clothes.

No question that the 'Stich is the way to go, if money isn't a consideration. I borrowed a friend's Roadcrafter for a month to try it out, and it was sweet. Everything worked perfectly.  Then I bought the Olympia, with the intent of returning it if it was just too subpar. What I found was that if the Roadcrafter was 100%, the Phantom was 80%. Not as good, but for me, not unacceptably lower. So I kept it, and then bought the Stealth - the mesh one piece. Interestingly, for this bit of kit, the tables turned during warmer weather. The Stealth is 100% and the Aerostich was 80%. So for under $500 I got into two suits that work both, good enough and better, relative to the Roadcrafter. 

If I weren't so cheap, I'd fork out for the 'Stich for half the year and continue using the Olympia for the other half. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Archived