Need some Commuting Advice.......

• Premium Member
Yours look much sturdier than mine! Mine has a waterproof hard shell on the outside, and fuzzy, comfy, warm material inside. They attach by a velcro strap which goes around the mirror, but no attachment at the bar end. Took them for a short ride and they keep my hands warm, dry will have to wait until the first down pour.I had to remove the original hand guards , but I've always hated them anyway, so not upset about that.

Do those of you who commute to work leave something like this on the bike? It's an easy velcro strap to undo, and just walk away with them, although I'll be parking in a dedicated underground motorcycle section of the parking garage. I noticed that one rider has a similar hand warmer and he/she leaves them on the bike - just curious to hear feedback on if it would be a good idea to leave them on the bike during the day.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Yours look much sturdier than mine! Mine has a waterproof hard shell on the outside, and fuzzy, comfy, warm material inside. They attach by a velcro strap which goes around the mirror, but no attachment at the bar end. Took them for a short ride and they keep my hands warm, dry will have to wait until the first down pour.I had to remove the original hand guards , but I've always hated them anyway, so not upset about that.  
Do those of you who commute to work leave something like this on the bike? It's an easy velcro strap to undo, and just walk away with them, although I'll be parking in a dedicated underground motorcycle section of the parking garage. I noticed that one rider has a similar hand warmer and he/she leaves them on the bike - just curious to hear feedback on if it would be a good idea to leave them on the bike during the day.
I've been using my Tucano muffs on various bikes since 2009. Always leave them on the bike, even when parked on a street. These come with security wires and drilled metal straps so you could use a small padlock if you wanted. I don't bother, just use a zip tie to keep them in place. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Here are the Barkbuster Storms. They completely replace the OEM guards and their associated bracketry.

Barkbuster Storms mount to the bar end:
GFK5txt.jpg

The inboard end doesn't connect to anything. It looks weird but it works:
akt6ZFu.jpg

The storms are a good compromise for all year round, as are the KTM style. I found the blizzards were a lot warmer, they keep more wind off my hands. I take them off in summer (about 5 mins to remove both, just a bolt into bar end) as I prefer no guards at all. I then get the best of all worlds, warm in winter, cool in summer. The old long furry style muffs are warmest, but I don't like my hands so restricted. Whatever floats your boat. Yes David, I leave these on, as the bolt (with blue threadlock) goes into bar end and is reasonably secure. 

• Premium Member
One week before I start work, and I have made a few more decisions.

1) Bought the Blaster-X tail Tidy - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W9KZRLQ/ - it is sitting at my local Post office now because my mail carrier couldn't be bothered to walk the 100 feet to my house from my mail box for the required signature. I'll have to pick it up on Monday, but the installation is supposed to be super easy, an exact replacement for the original tail light, 2 screws and plug it into the existing electrical connector, so it should be simple.

2) Decided to wait on extra Lights up front - I may eventually re-think this, but for now I will hold off.

I'll try another trial run one day this week, and see how all the changes work out.

• Premium Member
Still no consideration on medevac insurance?
I'm on the fence about this one. In general it's probably a good thing to have, especially when I'm riding for fun on the weekends in the mountains, where access is difficult and you are a long way away from good trauma center hospitals. 
As for my commute, I'm a direct 30 miles from my house to my work, all on the same freeway. My work destination is at the same location as Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where they fly all critical care cases in the Pacific Northwest. If I have a serious accident, I doubt they would fly me to the hospital, due to how close I would be located. I'm pretty sure they would send an ambulance.

That being said, it's probably a good idea for all my non-commuting rides, so I'll take a look and see what the cost is.

Thanks for the reminder......

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Found some hand guards on Revzilla that provide a lot more protection than the stock, and were a lot easier to install than the others I tried. Used them today on Day 1 riding in for the new job, and they worked much better than the stock hand guards

Pictures of them on my bike:

IMG-2668.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-11-28-at-8-14-42-PM.png

• Premium Member
Today was the first day commuting on my bike for work. I carried a full set of work clothes as spares to keep at my desk, just in case I ever have an issue on the ride in. My ride in, and the ride back home were both in typical Seattle rain. No real issues, the bike was great, and I even enjoyed the experience.

The new hand guards (in the post above) were a big help, and the temperature today was mild, I didn't need the heated grips or heated jacket. I was able to store my jacket and bib in the top case, and my boots in one of the side cases. It only took about 5 minutes to strip the gear and store it, and I walked in looking like anyone else going to work. (except for the helmet I was carrying with me)

I'm sure I'll experience a lot colder weather in the next few months, but honestly, I think I'm going to enjoy the commute. By the time I got home, it seemed like ages since I was at work. Not a worry in the world.

Thanks for all the advice, all much appreciated.

Today was the first day commuting on my bike for work. I carried a full set of work clothes as spares to keep at my desk, just in case I ever have an issue on the ride in. My ride in, and the ride back home were both in typical Seattle rain. No real issues, the bike was great, and I even enjoyed the experience.  
The new hand guards (in the post above) were a big help, and the temperature today was mild, I didn't need the heated grips or heated jacket. I was able to store my jacket and bib in the top case, and my boots in one of the side cases. It only took about 5 minutes to strip the gear and store it, and I walked in looking like anyone else going to work. (except for the helmet I was carrying with me)

I'm sure I'll experience a lot colder weather in the next few months, but honestly, I think I'm going to enjoy the commute. By the time I got home, it seemed like ages since I was at work. Not a worry in the world.

Glad it was a good experience!

I have a young family and not much time to simply joy ride on the bike (every once in a while but not much).. anyway my commute is my time on the bike.. for meditation, fun, music, whatever. Just me. Whatever I'm in the mood for that day... also helps me forget work on the way home (something you alluded to).

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I commute almost everyday about 25 miles one way, although I'm in the Dallas area and currently ride an ST1100.  I too wear full gear, but I just wear my work clothes underneath and pull my gear off when I get into my office (cube).  I keep a pair of work shoes in my cube.  When leaving, I put all my gear on in my cube and walk out fully geared, sans helmet and gloves.  My colleagues have gotten used to it. ;)

I commute almost every day about 25 miles one way, although I'm in the Dallas area and currently ride an ST1100.  I too wear full gear, but I just wear my work clothes underneath and pull my gear off when I get into my office (cube).  I keep a pair of work shoes in my cube.  When leaving, I put all my gear on in my cube and walk out fully geared, sans helmet and gloves.  My colleagues have gotten used to it. 

Back when I was an aircraft mechanic, I put 24K on a 2005 Yamaha FJR years back commuting to work; 60 miles round trip 5-6 days a week. My low-temperature limit for riding was 37 degrees due mainly to the excellent protection the bike offered. I walked in and out fully geared, minus the helmet. Now as a nurse, I still commute to work, the same routine except no freeway, just backroad highways, farms, lakes, and horses. Very enjoyable for the body and the mind.

• Premium Member

Added the Blaster-X tail light, it is much brighter than the stock, and you can program the sequence of blinks and the speed of the blinks very easily.

Really, there is a wire that you just touch to ground and it advances the light pattern to the next one in the list. The manual (or their website) shows what the patterns are, but it was helpful to see them on the bike to pick which one you like the best. Everyone says they are super bright on the road, and make the bike much more visible to cars.

I'm lazy and haven't read the entire thread. I lived in the Seattle area for 14 years and daily commuted on my old 2001 Concours from Paine Filed to Downtown Seattle, then Bonney Lake to Seattle. The Connie was much better wind, rain protection than my current 2016 FJ09. But that being said. IMHO the best thing you can get is a Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suit.  Easy on, easy off, completely rain proof (although after about four hours of torrential rain you will have a slightly wet crotch), but that could have been from pissing my pants after riding in the crap for four freaking hours! HA!) no, really now.  I own heated gear and have a BMW style receptical built into the bike, but rarely needed the electric liner riding in the seattle area with the Roadcrafter suit (not the lite, but he original). Buy the "stich", get a taller windshield, Givi, Madstad, whatever, Barkbusters are better than the stock hand guards, stocker heated grips are the bomb. Pin lock faceshield and a good pair of waterproof boots. Glove are never waterproof. Never. 44 years riding, never had a pair of fully waterproof gloves worth wearing. Put plenty of retroreflective stickers on the bike, add running lights, get a brake flasher, maybe a headlamp modulator too. (Had one on the Connie, everyone thought I was a cop!) Make yourself very visible. EBC HH pads up front as well. Better wet weather stopping power. That's my advice. 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Archived