NIKEN GT?

justplainbill

Apparently, Yamaha filed a notice with the California smog board that they will be introducing a variation on the Niken with "GT" embedded in it's model descriptor.  https://www.rideapart.com/articles/274303/yamaha-niken-gt-carb-filing/

Considering that for $16K, the Niken should have come with saddle bags and other touring amenities (not just cruise control) I'm not overly excited by the news. Especially if it pushes the price up around $18K.   

• Supporting Member
Apparently, Yamaha filed a notice with the California smog board that they will be introducing a variation on the Niken with "GT" embedded in it's model descriptor.  https://www.rideapart.com/articles/274303/yamaha-niken-gt-carb-filing/ 
Considering that for $16K, the Niken should have come with saddle bags and other touring amenities (not just cruise control) I'm not overly excited by the news. Especially if it pushes the price up around $18K.   

Not to worry.  Just like the forgotten Niken, the GT variant will never be released to the public.  ;)

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Niken GT MSRP is $17,299 - $1300 more than the standard Niken.  For that, you get a wider, taller windshield, plusher saddles, heated grips, a grab rail that evidently also serves as a trunk mount, semi-hard locking saddlebags, two 12Vdc power outlets and a centerstand (I guess the standard Niken didn't get one).  

Availability is March 2019.

Niken GT MSRP is $17,299 - $1300 more than the standard Niken.  For that, you get a wider, taller windshield, plusher saddles, heated grips, a grab rail that evidently also serves as a trunk mount, semi-hard locking saddlebags, two 12Vdc power outlets and a centerstand (I guess the standard Niken didn't get one).   
Availability is March 2019.
Instead of screwing-around with a machine that they may not even be able to give away, I wish that Yamaha would do something about supply of the new Tracer GT to my part of the world.   Still none locally...   A fairly positive report in the major Oz motorcycling mag a week or two ago would surely have stirred up some interest, but there's nothing to see.    

EDIT ADDED Nov 7th - visited a nearby dealer, who told me through gritted teeth that Yamaha Oz now say that the earliest deliveries of the GT will be FEBRUARY 2019.   I guess that the very poor sales in Oz of the Gen I Tracer has put them in no hurry whatsoever.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I read that the Niken is for Millenials because only having 2 wheels is scary.
Lmao! I'm technically a millennial, but have more in common with the Generation X...

This comment is great.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I really dont know what Yamaha is trying to achieve with this new version. Obviously with a larger screen, heated grips and side bags they are aiming at the touring crowd so I cant help comparing this to the FJR.

The FJR is within about 50 lbs of the Niken, about $1000 cheaper, has shaft drive, electric wind screen, larger waterproof side bags, more performance at 1300cc and a MUCH lower highway cruising rpm. Plus the Niken is going to cost more to maintain, twice the # of tires to replace, double the fork maintenance and all of the bearings and bushings in the front end that will require maintenance.

I think this GT version would be much more appealing at the price they are asking if they bumped the displacement to at least 1,000cc with an "overdrive" type 6th gear, shaft drive and the waterproof FJR color matched bags.

The CP3 engine is fine in the FZ/FJ/XSR/Tracer, when you put that engine in a machine that is over 100lbs heavier and possibly aimed at 2-up touring, it might struggle a bit on steeper mountain passes and might not be as relaxed "touring" on the highway at 5K-6K rpm.

• Supporting Member
Are you saying the bags on the Tracer GT aren't waterproof and the FJR bags are?

No.  This thread is about the Niken GT, - the Tracer/FJ bags are probably waterproof.

The Niken GT side bags are listed as Semi-ridgid and they have zippers to close.  On the Yamaha accessory website they are listed as "soft ABS side case" and includes a waterproof inner liner. 

The FJR bags are definitely waterproof.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
Are you saying the bags on the Tracer GT aren't waterproof and the FJR bags are?
I have the Yamaha "City" side cases which are the same ones the GT. Bone dry after several hours long downpours.... 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
I have the Yamaha "City" side cases which are the same ones the Niken. Bone dry after several hours long downpours....

Are those the "semi-rigid" bags with zipper closures?  Impressive that the exposed zipper is waterproof.