NIKEN GT?

justplainbill

• Premium Member
I have the Yamaha "City" side cases which are the same ones the Niken. Bone dry after several hours long downpours....

Are those the "semi-rigid" bags with zipper closures?  Impressive that the exposed zipper is waterproof.

No the full rigid clam shells like on the GT.  
(I changed my original post to say GT which is what I meant.)

Fj-09-on-the-road.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member

Are those the "semi-rigid" bags with zipper closures?  Impressive that the exposed zipper is waterproof.

No the full rigid clam shells like on the GT.  
(I changed my original post to say GT which is what I meant.)

Fj-09-on-the-road.jpg

Ok, those are different than the Niken GT bags, I’m questioning the waterproof integrity of useing zippers, at least they are advertised as having a waterproof inner liner. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I had semi-rigid side cases with water-resistant zippers on my XR1200. They were pretty waterproof in the beginning Not so much now. :(

IMAG0240.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Yamaha should just meld that front fork system to a FJR. Give it a little more upright seating position, with lower pegs, etc. With the shaft drive, you have a really good touring machine.

Better yet, Yamaha should develop a shaft drive Tracer 900 GT-SD. In my opinion, that would be the best of all worlds. Their shaft drive units have appeared in as small as a 400cc bikes and worked just fine. The 850cc CP unit I have been experiencing is quite capable of handling a shaft drive and also perform very well for Sport Touring.  My dream bike.
  • Thumbsup 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Yamaha should just meld that front fork system to a FJR. Give it a little more upright seating position, with lower pegs, etc. With the shaft drive, you have a really good touring machine.  
Better yet, Yamaha should develop a shaft drive Tracer 900 GT-SD. In my opinion, that would be the best of all worlds. Their shaft drive units have appeared in as small as a 400cc bikes and worked just fine. The 850cc CP unit I have been experiencing is quite capable of handling a shaft drive and also perform very well for Sport Touring.  My dream bike.
On a street machine a belt would work just fine too. With a lot less weight. YMMV 

• Supporting Member

You read my mind, I was thinking the exact same thing. 

• Supporting Member
I had semi-rigid side cases with water-resistant zippers on my XR1200. They were pretty waterproof in the beginning Not so much now. sad.png 

IMAG0240.jpg

You have all the hard to find rear luggage for the XR!

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
I had semi-rigid side cases with water-resistant zippers on my XR1200. They were pretty waterproof in the beginning Not so much now. sad.png 

IMAG0240.jpg

You have all the hard to find rear luggage for the XR!
Actually I have ALL of the available OEM accessories for the XR.  :D 

• 4 months later...
On 11/3/2018 at 11:43 AM, johnakay said:

can't see the point on the nikken.
if you can't ride or handle a two then either buy a trike or stick to the car.

I'm not sure how close-mindedness ever adds to a discussion? Why is choice bad? What is the most likely technical cause of a motorcycle accident? Should  I read into the spelling errors and sentence structure of your post? 

The Niken, other than the lack of cornering ABS, pretty much solves the issue that leads to most crashes. Leave skill, hyperbole and insults out of the discussion and that's a fact. I have no interest in farting around on anything motorized, neither does  DW; the Niken is the answer to the fact that as we age, our risk profile decreases, which for many (my wife included),  means a machine that depends on two tiny contact patches sticking to an inconsistent paved surface, is a no go. I don't equate riding slow as safe either, riding proficiently on a well engineered machine wins every time.

So I'll be carving up California mountain roads at a brisk pace for a few weeks this summer, and playing better odds that I can safely make it home to my family, my 6 employees and the business that depends on me to run it. Silly ideas like "not being able to handle a bike" are just close minded, and mean nothing. Other than looking like a side-show, the Niken GT is everything a bike should be, and if you like attention, well, nothing will compare to it, at least for a while.

A little quiet reflection and open-mindedness is usually prudent, in all aspects of life. Just saying. 

Edited by isthatahemi
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

each to their own.but for me no.

I can understand if your not a fully an able man or woman then yes this would be useful.

the key to safety is dont take risk and ride sensibly.

what is one man's brisk riding is another man's going over and beyond comfortably speeds.

been riding 2 wheels since 1968 and still have all my bones intact.

only ever come off 3 times on a m/bike and that was in my younger days.

Edited by johnakay

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, johnakay said:

each to their own.but for me no.

I can understand if your not a fully an able man or woman then yes this would be useful.

the key to safety is dont take risk and ride sensibly.

what is one man's brisk riding is another man's going over and beyond comfortably speeds.

been riding 2 wheels since 1968 and still have all my bones intact.

only ever come off 3 times on a m/bike and that was in my younger days.

Where is the misinformation coming from that the Niken was directed to someone who isn't able bodied or able to handle a 2 wheeler?

Its heavier than a 2 wheeler and does not stand up on its own, it still needs a kickstand.  Its merely something different.

• Thumbsup 4

• 1 month later...

I think what the Niken needs is an AMA racing class of its own.

Once folks see that rig all leaned over and sliding the myth of the "bike for the disabled" will be blown.

However, if this board is a microcosm of the overall motorcycling public, Yamaha gets a major FAIL in setting expectations and providing perspective for the Niken. Why should we have to figure it out?

Like many of Honda's motorcycle initiatives over the years, it leaves one shaking their head in confusion.

Good recent Niken article by Kevin Cameron here.

Watch a Niken knee-dragger shred in the alps (jump to the 3 minute point unless you speak Italian)

cb

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
On 3/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, isthatahemi said:

A little quiet reflection and open-mindedness is usually prudent, in all aspects of life. Just saying. 

Yup, what he said...

• Thumbsup 2
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Sent to me today by a mate living in Japan...

Niken costs 1750000-1850000 Japanese Yen.
My BMW 2012 Roadster was 1850000 base price.
For a Japanese bike, it's not cheap.

For comparison, a new Yamaha MT-09 with ABS & ATC 
is only a mere 940000-1160000 Yen.

So, almost half the Niken 850 pricetag.
Niken looks like a full on sports bike or
possibly Hooligan machine. 
A serious contraption.

Tri City 125cc 3-wheel is popular here and I see a lot of them. It's a smaller scale, lighter duty version.
Price is also affordable.
420000-460000 Yen
Business men in suits. College kids.
Daily commuters. Younger weekend couples.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.