NIKEN GT?

justplainbill

Not cheap, that is true. No one is cross shopping a roadster to a Niken though....other than for for a topic of discussion. Price is always there, but if you want a Niken, you don’t buy an MT -09, or a convertible, or a Spyder, or anything else for that matter.

My thinking here is that it is a good value for the amazing engineering, and if someone can afford it, the price really isn’t part of the discussion. As I perceived the price for what it is to be fair, the price vs whatever wasn’t even a factor for me (not bragging or rich, it just didn’t play into the purchase decision), there was no comparison shopping, as there is nothing to compare it to, which in my opinion is a flawed way of looking at it in the extreme. There is likely very little cross-shopping (again, just my opinion). It’s one of a kind for now.

Bottom line, it’s unbelievably good for what it is, safer and very confidence inspiring. The wife loves it, which is a bonus too.

One thing that keeps getting overlooked, the ride quality is unreal, so smooth yet controlled it doesn’t even make sense.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 5/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, isthatahemi said:

<Snip>

Bottom line, it’s unbelievably good for what it is, safer and very confidence inspiring. The wife loves it, which is a bonus too.

One thing that keeps getting overlooked, the ride quality is unreal, so smooth yet controlled it doesn’t even make sense.

I'm rather curious isthatahemi, do you have any experience riding a motorcycle with cornering ABS? My own interest in the  Niken (and leaners before it) has been focused on retaining the essence of motorcycle riding (leaning to turn) with the added safety of a third wheel. Since the advent of Bosch and Continental inertial measurement units (IMU's) and their use on motorcycles (C-ABS, wheelie control, launch and traction control etc.) I've lost much of my interest in leaning three wheel motorcycles.  It seems like C-ABS provides most of the benefits of leaning technology (safety, confidence) without the added  cost, weight or bulk of an MP3 or Niken.  

I have some experience riding a Ducati Scrambler with C-ABS and find it confidence inspiring (don't suppose it ever kicked in), but none on a Niken and would be interested in hearing from someone who has ridden both types. I'm still open to a Niken, especially at year end close out prices. 😊

Bill

Edited by justplainbill

I have not ridden a bike with CABS. I had considered one, but I have never had a cornering situation where I have slammed/ applied / used the brakes and crashed. While the technology is awesome, it’s application is more gear toward absorbing errors in riding technique.

As an rider who is very aggressive in corners, grip was more important to me. CABS uses technology that only helps once the rider has made an error, where as the Niken uses its traction advantage all the time. For me the 2 don’t compare, and one would have to be overwhelmingly ham-fisted to bin the Niken imo. While many will disagree that is my opinion.

Only buy a a Niken if you have time to explain it every time you stop, and if you live in the USA, that involves a minute of talking and then said person regurgitating was their life story, unsolicited, every time I might add. And you like being the centre of attention, it’s a bit nuts like that. 

The idea that C-ABS compensates for rider error sounds right on its face, but is probably not accurate.  C-ABS  is found  on most professional road racing motorcycles today and those guys ride more aggressively and make fewer errors than most of us. So it's probably more accurate to say that C-ABS allows aggressive riders better use of traction available in a corner and works to prevent both the tire sliding out from under the bike, or the bike standing up and "changing lanes" under braking.  That may sound like hair splitting, but the net effect is that a C-ABS bike ends up with more usable traction in a corner than the same bike in the same corner, without C-ABS. That seems like something you would find useful.  The fact that C-ABS also corrects rider error is something that I would find useful.

The Niken starts out with more traction because of having two contact patches in front and one in the rear. You're quite right that it takes someone ham fisted (or intentionally trying) to crash a Niken. Search YouTube for videos on crashing a Niken for the motorcycling equivalent of "hold my beer and watch this". 

For me, either scenario sounds great, and the fact you find the Niken so entertaining is a very positive thing. I  like my FJ-09 and I'm sure I'd like a Niken too. Thanks.

Bill

• Thumbsup 1

Agree it allows for more usable traction, than a regular bike. Much less than a 3 wheeler, and only under braking. I don’t think that applies to a fast street rider, as most don’t late brake or heavily trail- brake. On the track, completely different story for sure.

That said, if the Niken ever gets C-ABS, I’d consider trading up for that alone. But ya, i find the Niken more fun than any bike I’ve ever ridden, sport bikes included. It’s the first machine I wore the side of a tire out before the middle, all while riding 2 up.

• Thumbsup 2

• 9 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Saw this link for an aluminum customized Niken. 

2019-game-over-cycle-custom-niken-unveil

Meet the Game Over Cycles Custom Yamaha Niken. GOC became the...

• Like 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."