The best helmet (information) sound system.

fddriver2

• Premium Member
For a long time (since they came out) I have been using ipods for music. (it keeps the voices in my head to a minimum) :)  

I use Sennheiser ear buds. But I have been having problems with ear pain. 

So. What is the best ie. loudest Bluetooth system for streaming music?

About me.

I use paper maps, I have a GPS (automotive nuvi) on the bike, not sure where the on switch is though. 59 years old and getting deafer by the day.

I would love to talk to my fellow riders. but they appreciate the time away from me (and the voices in my head) while we're riding. So the talk-around part is useless.

So. I want really loud helmet speakers and talking to others isn't a priority :)  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

For a long time (since they came out) I have been using ipods for music. (it keeps the voices in my head to a minimum) smiley.png   

I use Sennheiser ear buds. But I have been having problems with ear pain. 

So. What is the best ie. loudest Bluetooth system for streaming music?

About me.

I use paper maps, I have a GPS (automotive nuvi) on the bike, not sure where the on switch is though. 59 years old and getting deafer by the day.

I would love to talk to my fellow riders. but they appreciate the time away from me (and the voices in my head) while we're riding. So the talk-around part is useless.

So. I want really loud helmet speakers and talking to others isn't a priority smiley.png  

These are the ones I use. Love them. They have a mic so you can answer a call if you so desire. 

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-BT1-Wireless-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B074QQNY64/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541820677&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=shure+se215&psc=1

Was never happy with helmet speakers. Buds were problematic at one time but have been using Etymotic MC-5s for a few years now. They have a variety of rubber and foam tips and once I found the size that worked for me they're now my goto. Even when I'm not plugged into anything they're so comfy that I prefer them to other hearing protection.

I have the Sena 10u built into my Schuberth C3 helmet. There have been lots of complaints about lack of volume with this set up and I had the same problem at the start. Then I found one helpful post buried in the tidal wave of derision ( as is the way on the internet sometimes).

The problem with speaker systems inside helmets is that they are designed to be placed into the spaces in the interior padding, near your ears. If you just stick them to the inside of the outer shell, there is too much of a gap between the speakers and your ears and the sound gets lost into the padding. The trick is to put some simple foam pads behind the speakers, pushing them towards your ears and to make sure they are in the correct vertical and horizontal position so they direct straight into your ears. I did this by playing music and moving them around until they sounded the loudest and clearest.

I had to actually turn the Sena system down in volume after this as it was too loud. A remarkable and simple change.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I found the helmet speakers to be poor quality and so I use a pair of in-ear headphones with the business end of the cord connected to my Sena 20s bluetooth device which is attached to my helmet. I do have to manage the cord when I take the helmet off, but the sound is great while riding.

• 1 month later...

I'm fairly uncomplicated in this. I use the Sena SMH-10 for my day to day riding, and will go through the SM-10 if I'm touring (in order to have all my electronic gadgets piped to my ears).

The trick for me was to find the right placement of the speaker in the helmet. Put them as close to your ear as possible. Once they're placed correctly you'll need earplugs because they're too loud on their own. I like the Eargasm with the medium filter.  Foam ones are fine in a pinch, but they attenuate the high end too much for music. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Sena 20s... I have no complaints about sound quality or volume of the speakers.  Siena's sound filtering is awesome. People dont even know I am riding down the road at 70mph if I make a phone call.  Also the audio multi-tasking is awesome.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, littlebruv said:

Hi all

First time on this forum.

I use a cardo G4 with custom made earplugs with the speakers built in, best system I use to date whether listening to sat nav commands or chat with bruv when travelling abroad on our bikes

What brand, make are the custom earplugs you use?

Archived