Tire Pressure

joeszup

• 2 weeks later...
Load is noted by weight in the 2018 Tracer 900 NA manual. 
Capture.jpg

At last... I've been running these pressures on pretty much every bike I've had unless carrying pillion and luggage.  People still insist that 36f and 42 r is 'what's recommended' and think anything different will cause the earth to tip off its axis. 

Have run 36f/42r cold on the FJ-09 its whole life. Including PR4. The FJR usually needs a few more in the front to maintain sidewall stiffness if not using a GT model. You can always google some fun weekend reading and youtubing on checking and targeting differences in warm and cold tire temps, reading tire wear indications of over or under heating, etc.
36-42 ? In which case you've not had the best out of the Fj09. Also,  why would you ever use a tyre on a heavy bike (fjr) without stiffer bias side walls ? Over inflating to compensate makes the tyre harder, which equals less grip, longer warm up times with a shorter lifespan. Same for your fj09. But heh, we all have our own way of doing things I guess. Try the lower pressures 36-33 and see what you think. 

Have run 36f/42r cold on the FJ-09 its whole life. Including PR4. The FJR usually needs a few more in the front to maintain sidewall stiffness if not using a GT model. You can always google some fun weekend reading and youtubing on checking and targeting differences in warm and cold tire temps, reading tire wear indications of over or under heating, etc.
36-42 ? In which case you've not had the best out of the Fj09. Also,  why would you ever use a tyre on a heavy bike (fjr) without stiffer bias side walls ? Over inflating to compensate makes the tyre harder, which equals less grip, longer warm up times with a shorter lifespan. Same for your fj09. But heh, we all have our own way of doing things I guess. Try the lower pressures 36-33 and see what you think. 
Firstly, I'm over 198 lbs with gear. But I don't blindly follow the manuals in any regard. Shift points, chain slack, etc :)  
Other than dangerously low or high pressures would encourage everybody to read the tires, track hot vs cold temps, ride, adjust, repeat -- and find what works for them. That's how I arrived at my opinion. Started with the recommended then experimented. And, yes, I've gone lower with the FJ-09 but not since the first week or two of ownership.

Those pressures have worked well for me on many different bikes and varied conditions. Whether on the way to Prudhoe Bay, heading to the Cat & Fiddle on minor roads, riding the NC500 around Scotland, or just riding local twisties and commuting. For a frame of reference I'm at the tail end of the fast group at most trackdays and on the street like to tilt the horizon but don't ride faster than I can see. A lot of experience. Lucky enough to know local riders who are better than me mechanically and as riders which has steered me in the right direction far more than online sources. 

Have to disagree with you on added pressure reducing lifespan (which could refer to tread depth, being gassed out, etc). That's not my experience with DOT tires. In fact the opposite. But lifespan isn't really a goal for me with pressures. 

Re the FJR, many of the tires I prefer aren't available in a GT. The Yamaha recommended tires aren't to my liking. Any differences in warm up, grip, hardness are all still well within the category of my likes. Tire grip and profile comfort/familiarity offset the benefit to running the GT at a few pounds less cold. Ends up being a wash in terms of feel and feedback imo. A few pounds plus or minus doesn't impact DOT tire heating to the point most riders would notice IME. 

If what you're suggesting works for you by all means use it. The only disagreement you'll get from me is when we get to labeling something best or proper. Only a Sith deals in absolutes (ok that was a joke, I just like the platitude). Rock on. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/21/2018 at 7:01 PM, kemmotar said:

dont run the 36-42 combo, its not the proper pressure for this bike. its just a tyre-category guide for the 120-180 front rear combo... all brands suggest the same tyre influation... i dont care what the sticker says, i have tested from 2015 different pressures and have settled with 33-35 combo for solo riding, especially summer time. when i put a new tyre for the break in, and the first 300 km, i run 34-38...
if you see the sticker to the new tracer 900 gt model, they have a new combo... taking feedback from the riders just like me and their search all these 3 years worlwide... the pressure is changed to 33-36 solo riding, 36-42 rider + pillion

45715534-10218099668346106-5768217215413256192-n.jpg

Hoping to get your opinion on the tyre pressures for 110 kg rider on pilot 5s with and without luggage, im thinking without luggage 34/38 as per your suggestion what about with two panniers and tail bag, ie touring.

Also I agree with your subsequent comments about modding, what have you done ? My 2016 has

Front and rear suspension

MCC cruise

Heated grips

KTM hand guards

Stock screen with xscreen lip, still not happy <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Seat, custom but still not happy <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Raised forks thru triple by 8mm

quick shifter

intergrated LEDS for blinkers ie running lights stop lights etc

Mods to be, skid plate, cages, loud horn, hwy pegs suggestions advice ?

Have i missed anything worthwhile, thanks bud.

To be honest, just try it and find out.  Nothing (within reason) is going to break your bike, and small changes can (depending on how you ride) have a fairly significant impact.

I personally ride at 36F/42R in the summer, and 34F/38R in the winter.  Higher pressures will help the bike turn in better and feel a bit nimbler, lower pressures will get you better traction in poor traction circumstances and a softer ride.  Of course, as you go down in pressure, you'll decrease the overall weight carrying capacity of the bike, and can cause increased tire wear.  The more weight your carrying, the higher pressures you'll need to avoid overloading the tires.  

• Thumbsup 3