Engine break in myth

jonnymertz

• Premium Member
When I picked up my FJ 09 from the dealer I asked the service manager about breaking and he said quote un quote ride it like you stole it

So whereas I have not had any issues with the FJ 09 engine last 28,000 miles other than having found all the intake and exhaust valves to be extremely tight at the 25000 mile service it's good to be Vindicated with the ride it like you stole it breaking method

• Premium Member
Interesting. I was curious why motorcycle manufacturers still recommend break-in periods but not cars. My wife just bouya new Hyundai and it came with zero break-in instructions. They don't even spec the first oil change until 7500 miles. Yet they warrant the power train for 100,000 miles so they must have done testing and found this is okay.

• 4 months later...

What do you guys think about warm up times? I don't consider riding before the oil temp hits 50 and even then I know I'll sit at the traffic light 2 streets down to get up to full temp. Most car drivers turn the ignition seconds before they are away. Then again most car drivers don't feel the same about their vehicles as bikers do but the engines seem more resilient. 

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, RhiteWhino said:

What do you guys think about warm up times? I don't consider riding before the oil temp hits 50 and even then I know I'll sit at the traffic light 2 streets down to get up to full temp. Most car drivers turn the ignition seconds before they are away. Then again most car drivers don't feel the same about their vehicles as bikers do but the engines seem more resilient. 

I start mine and let it run while I am getting my jacket, earplugs, helmet and gloves on.  By that time, the display is showing an actual coolant temperature.

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

23 minutes ago, RhiteWhino said:

As long as you're not hitting wide open throttle immediately after staring you're probably OK. 

50 minutes ago, betoney said:

I start mine and let it run while I am getting my jacket, earplugs, helmet and gloves on.  By that time, the display is showing an actual coolant temperature.

This is my method as well.

• Thumbsup 4

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 4 weeks later...

On 3/29/2019 at 7:44 PM, betoney said:

Mine as well

'15 FJ09

On 3/29/2019 at 7:56 PM, kmev said:

As long as you're not hitting wide open throttle immediately after staring you're probably OK. 

I probably give mine a minute at idle to get the oil flowing, and then I ride it easy for the first few minutes. After that, I don’t do WOT or redline until it’s up to temp, but I also don’t ride it like I’m afraid it’s going to come apart either.

The biggest difference between our engines and car engines is that ours are built for higher RPMs. Idling a modern  engine until it reaches full operating temperature is completely unnecessary unless you are the type that needs to leave your driveway like you’re exiting pit lane after a green light pit stop.

Warm ups on older engines are necessary because carburetors and cylinders heads need to be warmed  enough to support good fuel vaporization. Also, air cooled engines and older water cooled engines warm up differently, and less efficiently, than modern water cooled engines.

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:44 PM, betoney said:

Sane here, 

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250