Moto Guzzi V85TT

texscottyd

• Supporting Member
I thought this was very interesting... not really a FJ/Tracer direct competitor, but still something new and unique from Moto Guzzi.

My local dealer said $12,990 USD, including the top and side cases. I’ve always had a liking for Moto Guzzi, and think this one is a great addition to the model line.

210d7c4c34d4d5829cfeb8206e42808c.jpg

http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/en/

I thought this was very interesting... not really a FJ/Tracer direct competitor, but still something new and unique from Moto Guzzi.  
My local dealer said $12,990 USD, including the top and side cases. I’ve always had a liking for Moto Guzzi, and think this one is a great addition to the model line.

210d7c4c34d4d5829cfeb8206e42808c.jpg

http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/en/

At least visually, very interesting!   Reminds me that a cuppla months ago I posted here - with no responses - that I though that the base FJ/ MT-09, with that excellent CP3 motor, might make the core of a lightweight moderate semi-dual-purpose GS-style machine.   Seems that MotoGuzzi may have been listening-in!   Their V85 is an 850cc twin - ours is an 850cc triple.    
BMW's latest iteration of the GS is even more complex than before, a 1250cc boxer-twin now with variable cam technology which of course adds weight, complexity, and cost.

I like it this MotoGuzzi interpretation, which I believe is now on the market, not just a design concept....   Very, very tasty.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I had a 2012 Stelvio and mine had the flat tappets that needed to be changed over to rollers due to the surface coating degrading and ending up potentially floating around in your oil causing expensive engine issues so I am hoping that as this engines origins are from the already in production V9 it will not have too many issues, it is just tarted up for more HP which in itself may be the starting point of issues.

I still have 2 Guzzi's and really like them but the FJ is get on and go friendly and farkled to my liking and as the $13,000 US for the V85TT will probably work out to north of $16,000 CDN I really do not foresee one being parked in my garage. That being said, as Guzzi's are not renown for retaining there value so if one should appear on the market used for a good price I just might need to add it to the stable before retirement. If it shows up post retirement then I guess I will just have to admire it from afar.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
I took one for a spin today and posted this elsewhere:

By popular request, a review of my test ride on the Moto Guzzi V85TT. Bike from Blade in Swindon who charge £10 for insurance which has a £250 excess.
The bike is the premium model with multi-colour "Ronald McDonald" with Michelin Anakee tyres. It looks really nice with good quality materials and the yellow paint scheme is not too offensive. It is the only bike in stock so far so can't compare with other colours.
Switch gear is easy to use but different to every other make I have ridden so takes a bit of getting used to. Clutch is very light. Gear changes are precise but you need to be gentle with the clutch or it will snatch - a characteristic of the Guzzi I believe due to the way it is engineered.
The LED lights are very bright - the bike was brought around from the back and I looked straight at the eagle logo and felt my retinas evaporating just from the DRLs.
Screen is colour LED and you can pair it with a phone. Supposedly adjusts the brightness depending on weather. There were times I looked at the speedo and just had a reflection.
Mirrors are very good. They only vibrate when stationary with the engine running. Vibes are well balance when on the move.
You need to give it plenty of revs when pulling away. You can short shift but the motor seems to like being revved. Using the gears to slow down, approaching a roundabout or tight corner, is undramatic as long as you remember to use the clutch. I am too spoilt by autoblipping, down the box quickshifters.
The engine noise is disappointing but the performance is sprightly considering only 80bhp. I was probably doing 60-70 from Cirencester to Bibury where I would be doing over 80 on the XR.
The worst thing is the screen. 60-70 felt fast enough on A roads due to the racket. 80+ even for the short distance from Ciren to Swindon on the A419 was tiresome. I would add a Puig spoiler or similar.
The best thing is the handling. This was a huge surprise, especially on the Anakee tyres. The speed of the steering is just lovely. It takes so little effort to initiate a turn. On the A435 from Seven Springs to Ciren there are some fast sweepers and it tracks a line really well. Most ADV bikes need plenty of countersteering to stop them drifting wide.
As you would expect, on single track, bumpy roads the bike comes into its own. The road from Bibury through Ablington back to the A429 has steep hills, gravel and bumpy straights. No dramas and 60-70 across the bumpy straights was easy going.
I reset the fastest speed trip on the way back. It read 113mph. You get disco LEDs around the display when you go over the recommended revs for running in. Orange then red. I saw them quite a bit. The bike only had 180 miles on the clock at the start and 250 afterwards. It took quite a while to get to that speed on the private road. A R1200GS appeared in my mirror in Barnsley as I was behind traffic. As we left the 30 limit he had no trouble disappearing with his 50% more bhp.
Cruise control works well. Switch is thumb operated. I prefer the index finger tab on the BMWs. At least it is on the left unlike my Explorer.
Seat was okay on the 60 odd miles. Firm support. I could just get both feet on the floor with my 31" inseam. Peg position okay, didn't scrape. My right hip did complain a bit. A slightly canted forward position seems to suit it better. Very well balanced a low speed and I was confidently filtering through traffic on my way back into Swindon.
It's a very nice bike and looks so much nicer than the KTM 790 (I sat on one, they have a demo) but ultimately, it's not nice enough to make me change either of the BMWs.

2019-03-28 12.12.04.jpg

2019-03-28 12.12.15.jpg

2019-03-28 12.12.24.jpg

2019-03-28 12.12.30.jpg

2019-03-28 12.12.36.jpg

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member

@wordsmith I thought I replied to the post you are talking about. 😕 I do remember reading it. 

A couple of years back I ran into a guy who had a Guzzi Norge who let me take it for a spin. I loved it.

My only concern at the time was the lack of dealer support here in the USA. If it breaks down while you're on the road, You're  on your own. Finding someone to work on it and getting parts will be tough.

Norge.png

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Thanks, fd, and wessie for the write-up.   I haven't seen this MG here yet - but then Tracers are as rare as hen's teeth.

I cannot help thinking that the CP3 motor would make an excellent starting-point for Yamaha to create something along these lines, especially given how popular these dual-purpose bikes have become.   I've had my share of GSs - wonderful machines but now alas too bulky and heavy for me - and a similarly-styled slightly smaller, less off-road oriented machine would definitely attract my attention!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

21 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Thanks, fd, and wessie for the write-up.   I haven't seen this MG here yet - but then Tracers are as rare as hen's teeth.

I cannot help thinking that the CP3 motor would make an excellent starting-point for Yamaha to create something along these lines, especially given how popular these dual-purpose bikes have become.   I've had my share of GSs - wonderful machines but now alas too bulky and heavy for me - and a similarly-styled slightly smaller, less off-road oriented machine would definitely attract my attention!

too bulky and heavy for me - and a similarly-styled slightly smaller, less off-road oriented machine would definitely attract my attention!

Not sure if it will make it to your part of the word Wordsmith but it's here! Well almost here......the Tenere 700 avail. 2nd half of 2020. 

img.jpg?id=5bdc714f2a0ab644d01573b5&w=40
WWW.YAMAHAMOTORSPORTS.COM

2021 Yamaha Ténéré 700 Adventure Touring Motorcycle

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived