Cheated on my FJ

Did the same, picked up a 2018 1090 adventure R. What a world of difference between the suspensions. Going to try my hand at adventure riding next year.
Let us know how you get on with it, it was on my list but a bit heavy and tall for me in comparison. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So far, only a few hundred miles before the weather ruined riding season here in the upper midwest, but the FJ feels like a "tinker toy" compared to the big beast. It is tall and heavy by comparison for sure and I do not look forward to dropping it on the trail (better hit the gym, haha). I am a fit 49 yo so hopefully with practice, things will be fun and enjoyable on and off-road.

So far, only a few hundred miles before the weather ruined riding season here in the upper midwest, but the FJ feels like a "tinker toy" compared to the big beast. It is tall and heavy by comparison for sure and I do not look forward to dropping it on the trail (better hit the gym, haha). I am a fit 49 yo so hopefully with practice, things will be fun and enjoyable on and off-road.
You definitely have some "tinkering" ahead of you of you're planning on using the FJ/Tracer regularly off road and in situations where dropping it is likely.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
 Aprilia Mille was a brilliant bike, 7 years of hard riding, didn't miss a beat. Italian bikes are not all made from the same mould. 
My 2001 Mille R has 25,000+ miles on it, including several years where I used it as my track day instructor bike, and it's been absolutely bulletproof.  Mine's the first gen bike with the Rotax V-twin motor, but overall I have zero complaints.   Parts are getting very hard to find for it now, but fingers-crossed I won't need anything before I finally put it up on the auction block.   

You definitely have some "tinkering" ahead of you of you're planning on using the FJ/Tracer regularly off road and in situations where dropping it is likely.
No off-roading for the FJ, but the KTM 1090 adventure will surely see some action.  For a while I owned a KLR 650 which I commuted on; it always felt like a big wobbly dirtbike.  The KTM has surprisingly above average road manners, most likely due to the fully adjustable WP suspension.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 9:36 PM, betoney said:

Considering how much of a price difference there is between the bikes, for today atleast you can get the slipper clutch kit for $230 shipped and do a very nice suspension upgrade, then start putting some money away for your "someday" dream ride.

Betoney, you wouldn't happen to have the part number for the slipper clutch would you?  Or point me in the right direction?  

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, stumpy said:

Betoney, you wouldn't happen to have the part number for the slipper clutch would you?  Or point me in the right direction?  

This kit has everything you need.  XSR900 Slipper Clutch

Do a forum search and read up on the process involved.  You will mix your existing clutch plates in with these new parts. 

The conversion is pretty simple and took less than an hour. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 11/19/2018 at 12:51 PM, fr8dog said:

Not sure of the power mode. Whatever they had set as default. I powered the bike on he showed me some controls and off we went. Good point though. Could make some difference.
Your comparison??
Just my observation. Not bashing the brand. I liked everything about the bike except the motor. Tough to get past that.

It's not the power mode, it is, indeed, underwhelming.  That's all.  I've had four BMW's, currently own an R1200 RS, I like BMW's.  But if you are looking for power, the 800 won't scratch that itch.  It's probably down 30 HP to the Tracer.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Archived