VSS wire for cruise control

builderbob

• Premium Member
I am looking for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire on the FJ. Going to install aftermarket cruise control and need to locate this wire for the install. If any Yamaha techies can help me out, I'll greatly appreciate it!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
To answer my own question, and provide info to others who may be considering installing aftermarket electronic cruise control, the VSS wire is contained in a bundle of wires that passes just above the shift shaft. It is a white/yellow wire.

This information was obtained from the Dynojet web site.
Now I need to determine the PPM (pulses per mile) that it generates.

Since it is is throttle by wire, is there an actual throttle cable you can tap onto? Don't know if you have looked that far, or if the throttle movement is integrated into a module on the engine?

The way YCC-T works is different then other manufacturers. I am familiar with this system and the heavypieceofshet-Davidson system.

When you twist the throttle, you are indeed still moving actual throttle cables. Hence why it feels like a traditional setup.

But the cables don't turn anything on the throttle body: what you are actually moving is an Accelerator Position sensor (APS). It's basically a TPS that tells the ECU what you want the "throttle" to do. The ECU reads the voltage signal from the APS, and based on other inputs from the FI system - it moves the throttle body butterflys to allow more or less air into the intake.

This gives you the throttle response that is controlled by the ECU but feels like it's controlled by your right wrist.

I'm curious to see if the cruise system will get the correct info it needs from the stock set up on the FJ. Keep us posted.

-Skip

• Premium Member
Since it is is throttle by wire, is there an actual throttle cable you can tap onto? Don't know if you have looked that far, or if the throttle movement is integrated into a module on the engine?
The way YCC-T works is different then other manufacturers. I am familiar with this system and the heavypieceofshet-Davidson system.

When you twist the throttle, you are indeed still moving actual throttle cables. Hence why it feels like a traditional setup.

But the cables don't turn anything on the throttle body: what you are actually moving is an Accelerator Position sensor (APS). It's basically a TPS that tells the ECU what you want the "throttle" to do. The ECU reads the voltage signal from the APS, and based on other inputs from the FI system - it moves the throttle body butterflys to allow more or less air into the intake.

This gives you the throttle response that is controlled by the ECU but feels like it's controlled by your right wrist.

I'm curious to see if the cruise system will get the correct info it needs from the stock set up on the FJ. Keep us posted.

-Skip
Exactly. The cables are actuating the APS. No reason that the cruise cable can't act on the same piece. 
I installed the previous generation of this CC on an '07 FJR that I had. Worked great. That version was vacuum operated. This new one is all electric, so it should be simpler to install. Just need the PPM info. If I can't find that, I'll assume that it's the same as the FJR and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...
Cruise control, I hate how they wont incorporate in into the bike from the factory, I will certainly be keeping tabs on this project!
Probably a liability issue.  ( "my cruise control stuck on, and I crashed" type stuff ) 
Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

It makes sense and all... But its a sport tourer... They must know people are gunna be doing crazy amounts of highway miles. I know I was praying that a throttle lock would fall from the sky and land on my handlebar while I was breaking the engine in.

• Premium Member
Cruise control, I hate how they wont incorporate in into the bike from the factory, I will certainly be keeping tabs on this project!
The Super Tenere, which has cruise control, uses exactly the same switch gear on the handlebars as the FJ. If you look at your left cluster, there are knock-outs that on the Tenere contain the CC buttons.  There is also an extra bundle of wires exiting the cluster on the Tenere for the CC that connects to the harness somewhere.  Makes me wonder if there is an unused plug on the FJ harness for CC.  Probably not, but one can dream. I'll continue down the Rostra Cruise path when I get a little more time.

I wasn't sure what you meant with the control cluster, after Googling it, I see what you are talking about. I find myself dreaming big. I'm ready to tear apart the front fairing to find out if swapping the left controls for the Super Tenere one does the trick... It sounds almost too good to be true, but worth looking into. Though I have to wonder if the cost of that one control is worth gaining auto pilot.

Archived