VSS wire for cruise control

builderbob

eeesh. The more modules cars and bikes get, the more I realize I'm falling behind on current technology. I guess that means its incredibly difficult to change the ecm to add that feature. Bummer.

I'm still hopeful. I keep looking at the wiring diagrams for both the FJ and either the FJ13 or the Teneré. Hoping to see something that would make it easy as plugging in the missing switches in the LH switch.

Need someone to dig deeper into the ECU. I'm not sure how to go about that without creating a paperweight! 8-)

-S

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'm still gathering info on this installation. Scouring the FJR forums, I found this helpful thread on a Aussie site:

http://www.forum.fjr13.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5525

Yamaha seems to use the same wire color codes across the models, so this confirms the speed signal wire color I posted earlier. If the color codes hold true, the tach signal has also been found. If that isn't enough, all of the DIP switch settings are also shown, as well as the PPM info I was searching for earlier.

I believe I have enough info to get started on this now.

That said, I have the OEM heated grips on order and I think I'll wait until they arrive to do the install since I'll have to remove some of the bodywork anyway.

I'll start a new thread with pics when I get going, unless someone else accomplishes this install before me.

• Premium Member
I'm still gathering info on this installation. Scouring the FJR forums, I found this helpful thread on a Aussie site: 
http://www.forum.fjr13.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5525

Yamaha seems to use the same wire color codes across the models, so this confirms the speed signal wire color I posted earlier. If the color codes hold true, the tach signal has also been found. If that isn't enough, all of the DIP switch settings are also shown, as well as the PPM info I was searching for earlier.

I believe I have enough info to get started on this now.

That said, I have the OEM heated grips on order and I think I'll wait until they arrive to do the install since I'll have to remove some of the bodywork anyway.

I'll start a new thread with pics when I get going, unless someone else accomplishes this install before me.
Yes, please do keep us informed with pictures. In installed the vacuum model on my FJR and it took about 2-1/2 days to complete. This digital version should be easier as long as there is no lag.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Builderbob - nice find on that FJR site. Did you notice the part about it not working with LED tail/brake lights?

FWIW - looks like ECU PIN number 28 and 29 on ECU connector 2 are labeled as speed sensor 1 and 2. Wh/Green and Wh/yellow.

No listing for a tach signal. The only Orange wire listed is pin 23 ECU connector 1 for ignition coil cyl 1.

Maybe the tach signal is calculated from the crankshaft sensor? And transmitted via CAN hi and low to the meter?

-skip

• Premium Member
Builderbob - nice find on that FJR site. Did you notice the part about it not working with LED tail/brake lights? 
FWIW - looks like ECU PIN number 28 and 29 on ECU connector 2 are labeled as speed sensor 1 and 2. Wh/Green and Wh/yellow.

No listing for a tach signal. The only Orange wire listed is pin 23 ECU connector 1 for ignition coil cyl 1.

Maybe the tach signal is calculated from the crankshaft sensor? And transmitted via CAN hi and low to the meter?

-skip
Good info.  I did notice that about the LED lights.  I don't know why it wouldn't work.  Maybe the poster was relating experience with an aftermarket tail light assembly.  My '07 FJR had regular lights in the back. The white/yellow wire is the one we need for the speed sensor, according to Dynojet. Orange looks to be correct for the tach signal.

• Premium Member
Amazon delivers!

Rostra.jpg

It might be a bit of a challenge finding a proper location to mount the actuator. It's kind of big and space is tight. Ideally, it would be located in place that is reasonably accessible in case any of the dip switches need adjusting after installation. Not sure when I'll have time to start digging in, but I'll post up when I do.

• Premium Member
Place it where the bigger under seat storage can be accessed. I think it's in the how to's?
Good luck Bob! Can he build it?
Yes he can!
That was my initial thought.  If there's enough depth in that area, that will be the place to install it.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Its been a while, just wanted to send you some good JUJU and encouragement on this. YOU DA MAN BOB!
LOL!  Thanks. 
I've been waiting until my heated grips come in since I'll have to remove a lot of the same stuff for both.  I'm promised some time in May.

I considered installing this cruise control as well, until I talked to Nel's at 2Wheel Dynoworks...

FYI, 2Wheel Dynoworks (Supporting Vendor) will be working on developing a flash for the ecu for cruise control. All the hardware, except the button controls, needed for cruise control are already on the bike and either sent to the ecu or directly controlled by the ecu. This includes throttle valve, speed sensor, brake signal, clutch signal, etc.

cthruu - Nels- I've read that some places have been able to add cruise control features to their ecu flash (ie- tuneboys with their
ducati flashes) and was wondering if anything like this would/could be
added. I would love that.
Cruise control is on the schedule but not available at this time. Possibly next winter.

So for those that don't mind waiting this will hopefully be another option next year.

• Premium Member
I considered installing this cruise control as well, until I talked to Nel's at 2Wheel Dynoworks... 
FYI, 2Wheel Dynoworks (Supporting Vendor) will be working on developing a flash for the ecu for cruise control. All the hardware, except the button controls, needed for cruise control are already on the bike and either sent to the ecu or directly controlled by the ecu. This includes throttle valve, speed sensor, brake signal, clutch signal, etc.

Cruise control is on the schedule but not available at this time. Possibly next winter.
So for those that don't mind waiting this will hopefully be another option next year.
That is interesting news. I hope it is an option for lots of owners.  It would be really slick if it integrated with the display and used the controls currently on the Super Tenere. Unfortunately, not soon enough for me. I have several long trips planned that will happen before this can become reality. So, Rostra continues to be my solution.

Archived