NOT ALL TRACERS ARE CREATED EQUAL...

wordsmith

On this Forum, all GTs are Tracers, but not all Tracers are GTs.   

It seems to me that many questions posted here, and that may pop-up in future  - recent ones about suspension 'sag' are a good example - must identify the specific bike, otherwise wrong or unhelpful answers and advice may unwittingly be given.   Taking this 'sag' example, it's my understanding that the front fork on the GT model has a lot more working 'innards' than the very basic components on earlier models, with their limited adjustability and tuning potential.   So, tips and hints for one may not be appropriate for the other.  

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
It seems to me that many questions posted here, and that may pop-up in future  - recent ones about suspension 'sag' are a good example - must identify the specific bike, otherwise wrong or unhelpful answers and advice may unwittingly be given.   Taking this 'sag' example, it's my understanding that the front fork on the GT model has a lot more working 'innards' than the very basic components on earlier models, with their limited adjustability and tuning potential.   So, tips and hints for one may not be appropriate for the other.  
[span] [/span] [span]I dont think so.  Regardless of how basic or technologically advanced suspension is, your specific sag setting (example 30-35mm) is still the same.
[/span]
[span]If it has an external preload adjuster, it doesnt matter if its a Ducati or a Honda, you set the sag the exact same way and based on spring rate, try to achieve the same setting.
[/span]
[span]
[/span]

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

[span] [/span] [span]I dont think so.  Regardless of how basic or technologically advanced suspension is, your specific sag setting (example 30-35mm) is still the same.
[/span]
[span]If it has an external preload adjuster, it doesnt matter if its a Ducati or a Honda, you set the sag the exact same way and based on spring rate, try to achieve the same setting.
[/span]
[span]
[/span]

I'm only using this as an example!   It may be an incorrect one, technically, but it serves to make the point, I think, that we need to know the exact, precise designation of the bike when seeking/ providing truth and light.   Tracers ain't necessarily Tracers...   F'rinstance, is the chain slack or free-play (the Manual recommendation is wildly and widely derided) the same on the early Tracers as on the latest iterations, with their 60mm/ 2"+ longer swing-arm...???

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
I think, that we need to know the exact, precise designation of the bike when seeking/ providing truth and light.   Tracers ain't necessarily Tracers...  

I agree with you on that.  Even on the '15-'17 FJ, there are minor differences, clarification on year and model would be helpful when asking for help. 

Perhaps a community understanding or something, dont think we need to make it a rule, that you include the year and model (FJ, Tracer, GT, etc) in your profile or status...

Just a thought...

Will have to see what the new software looks like as well.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
Perhaps a community understanding or something, dont think we need to make it a rule, that you include the year and model (FJ, Tracer, GT, etc) in your profile or status... 

Just a thought...

Will have to see what the new software looks like as well.

I like that idea.  That would be easier than listing all of that information in each post before asking your question.

That's the idea, but it's like herding cats!   The BMW Forum I also play with suffers the same issue, especially with new chums.   The moderators and others are forever asking posters to include that info in their signature line or whatever it's called, but few do so... including myself, I now see!

"Identify the specific bike" .... er, this is a Tracer 900 GT forum [subforum]. Thus I am curious ... what other bike do you suppose we might be posting about -  on this very sub-forum ?   

Which smart-arse comment makes the point again - confusion reigns!   We have: Tracer 900 GT discussion: Tracer 900 GT pix: FJ-09 Tracer 900 Gen Discussion: FJ-09 Tracer 900 pix.   And - apparently - a subforum of a Forum.   Or maybe more than one.   So do tell - where in this mish-mash of Forums does the first generation Tracer (NOT known as the Tracer 900) sit?

Maybe get your vernacular right. 
You are posting right now here on a Sub-forum. The sub-forum is for the "Tracer 900 GT Discussion" (clue is in the name).
There are other sub-forums for other Tracer variants. So when one posts on a sub-forum then members might well (and correctly in my view) presume you are posting about the bike for which the sub-forum pertains to.

The main Forum is "FJ-09 Tracer 900 Forums".

Can be confusing but only if you're a wordsmith smiley.png

I suppose there's no harm adding bike variant to a sig - so I have done so
Thank you for adding the bike significant signature. People don't always follow the organization that's late out either by not paying attention or apathy.  
Also, there are subtle differences between '15, '16, and '17 models which are all mashed into one forum. Plus the non-GT tracer for 2019 (in the states) or 2018 non-GT tracer. All of those people would post specifically into the Tracer - FJ09 General Discussion. So one could likely assume a thread about an unknown motorcycle in the GT sub-forum is a GT, but one cannot make that same assumption elsewhere. 

Also, some people navigate the forum with "Recent Threads" and probably don't know which sub-forum they're in. 

In summary, one probably can induce what motorcycle an OP is referring to and the OP should be aware of what sub-forum they're in, but for the sake of clarity specifying won't hurt anything. 

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
Also, some people navigate the forum with "Recent Threads" and probably don't know which sub-forum they're in.  

This is exactly what I do, I just check "Recent Threads" instead of reading through every different sub-forum. 

This is exactly what I do, I just check "Recent Threads" instead of reading through every different sub-forum.
identical practice here...

• Premium Member
identical practice here...
Double dog dittos here. 
I drop in, usually over my morning coffee, and run the "Recent Posts". If something catches my eye I will comment or post a link. Sometimes it is inappropriate to the sub-form. 

People are fallible. Especially first thing in the morning without the necessary amount of caffeine to make good decisions. :P;)  

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Double dog dittos here. 
I drop in, usually over my morning coffee, and run the "Recent Posts". If something catches my eye I will comment or post a link. Sometimes it is inappropriate to the sub-form. 

People are fallible. Especially first thing in the morning without the necessary amount of caffeine to make good decisions. tongue.pngwink.png  

I feel this on a spiritual level. 

'15 FJ09

People are fallible. Especially first thing in the morning without the necessary amount of caffeine to make good decisions. tongue.pngwink.png  
I sometimes wonder if there’s enough blood in my caffeine stream...

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived