FJ 09 Issue Advice for Newbies

I just bought a 2017 FJ 09 leftover at Rhode Island dealer (Wheels of Freedom) although I live in Massachusetts. They quoted me 8995 plus tax and that was it. No freight, prep or doc fees. It was refreshing to say the least.

Enter Tesla....
Only problem with that is I ain’t interested in electric vehicles. Not even a little bit.
I was just referring to their car sales process.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Em, surely you mean Tracers were released in 2015 , I have one under my legs every day and that's a 2018 model.
But yamaha tagged it differently for different markets.
Initially launched in 2015 as 'MT-09 Tracer' except US where it was badged as the 'FJ-09' . From 2016 it was badged 'Tracer 900' in Europe and the UK. In Japan, South America, Australia, and New Zealand, it remains to this day the "MT-09 Tracer". The US still adopt the "FJ-09" monika so as far as Yam are concerned, they still market the bike to the US as the "FJ-09"
Oh dear it would seem you've been duped by the "facts" published in Wikipedia  :P
The Tracer 900 name only came into use for the 2018 model year to differentiate between the standard Tracer and the GT version. For model years 15 up to and including 17 the UK/Euro bikes are called MT-09 Tracer.

CS

• Premium Member

I'd consider a reasonably priced electric scooter for buzzing around down town, especially when it's really hot and humid....
That would work. I live in the woods and don't go downtown in/on my personal vehicle unless I'm forced to. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
You make a lot of good points, someone new to the FJ or researching the bike might fear that it is riddled with problems, most of the issues have been ironed out or a resolution is available through aftermarket. 
Check your title paperwork, Yamaha didn't make a 2018 FJ09.  2017 was the last year for the FJ before the introduction of the Tracer which was released as a 2019 model.

Em, surely you mean Tracers were released in 2015 , I have one under my legs every day and that's a 2018 model. But yamaha tagged it differently for different markets.
Initially launched in 2015 as 'MT-09 Tracer' except US where it was badged as the 'FJ-09' . From 2016 it was badged 'Tracer 900' in Europe and the UK. In Japan, South America, Australia, and New Zealand, it remains to this day the "MT-09 Tracer". The US still adopt the "FJ-09" monika so as far as Yam are concerned, they still market the bike to the US as the "FJ-09"

Frame History
----------------
Year / Country / Model Name / Frame / Engine

2014 All Name: Yamaha MT-09; Yamaha MT-09A (ABS)

Code: 1RC8; 2DRC

2015 All Name: Yamaha MT-09A (ABS); Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (Tracer 900)

Code: 2DRM; 2SC8

2016 All Name: Yamaha MT-09; Yamaha MT-09A (ABS); Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (Tracer 900)

Code: B878; 2DRT; 2SCK

2017 All Name: Yamaha MT-09A (ABS); Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (Tracer 900)

Code: BS26; 2SCS

2018 All Name: Yamaha MT-09A (ABS); Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (Tracer 900)

No, he was asking about a U.S. model, in the U.S. the FJ was a ‘15-‘17 model and the Tracer/GT was released as a ‘19 model. We didn’t have a 2018 model here. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

No, he was asking about a U.S. model, in the U.S. the FJ was a ‘15-‘17 model and the Tracer/GT was released as a ‘19 model. We didn’t have a 2018 model here. 
Same here - no '18 model.   In Oz the bike is known as the MT-09 Tracer.  This varying terminology by Yamaha has caused much heartache and confusion in the past and will problee continue to do so!   Too late now though...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived