2015 FJ09 suspension upgrades: What I did & why I did it...

texscottyd

4 hours ago, BBB said:

It is certainly a big step, both financially and mechanically to change shocks and forks, but I haven’t read of anyone who has regretted it. There are other expensive items that will return less dramatic improvements (seats for example)

@BBB ...you bite your tongue...if it wasn't for my Terry Adcox seat I wouldn't be able to ride long enough to enjoy my new suspension.  Just kidding, I don't promote that type of violence...lol.

@texscottyd I have the racetech valves too matched with a Penske 8983 rear shock and have noticed considerable improvement.  Although the front end is much better than stock....it seems like something is missing.  maybe it was how it was installed..or I was expecting more.  Also I may have ordered my rear shock abit to stiff for the street or I haven't set it up right yet.  In the twisties it no longer wallows and goes where you point it especially once I raised the forks in the clamps a bit.

Also the great thing about buying new suspension products, in most cases you can sell everything when you are done with it and recoup some of the cost.  Sorta like renting good suspension.

Edited by stumpy
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, stumpy said:

I have the racetech valves too matched with a Penske 8983 rear shock and have noticed considerable improvement.  Although the front end is much better than stock....it seems like something is missing.  maybe it was how it was installed..or I was expecting more.  Also I may have ordered my rear shock abit to stiff for the street or I haven't set it up right yet.

@stumpy  - Likely there is nothing wrong with your fork setup (Gold Valves are a great upgrade), it might simply be due to the single leg setup or lack of compression adjustability?  My buddy has a FJ with the Stoltec pre-valved drop in cartridge and I have Forks by Matt Advanced setup, (both legs have revalved rebound and compression valving with adjustable rebound fork caps and compression adjustable base bolt)  Riding the bikes back to back, we both notice a definite difference in fork action.  The Stoltec single leg upgrade is a massive improvement over stock but still only adjustable for rebound damping.  We have spend considerable time and miles setting his up the best we can (ride and tweak, ride and tweak) and yet we both feel a difference as soon as we swap bikes.

On your shock, the compression adjustment should be stepless (no clicks) turn the knob 1/2 - 3/4 turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE (as a start) and see if that helps.  We have found that the Penske doesnt need huge adjustments to make a dramatic improvement. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

On your shock, the compression adjustment should be stepless (no clicks) turn the knob 1/2 - 3/4 turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE (as a start) and see if that helps.  We have found that the Penske doesnt need huge adjustments to make a dramatic improvement. 👍

no ...it has steps.  it sucks that i have to use a wrench to make those adjustments.  can't turn it with your fingers

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, stumpy said:

no ...it has steps.  it sucks that i have to use a wrench to make those adjustments.  can't turn it with your fingers

Its interesting how different the seemingly identical 8983 shock can be.  Mine was ordered Through Traxxion Dynamics and the remote canister has a hose inserted directly straight into the top and has stepless adjustment with a 13mm wrench.  My buddy ordered the exact same 8983 shock through Stoltec and his has a canister with the hose exiting at a right angle  and his compression knob is round and has to be turned with pliers.

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I can turn my Stoltec rear shock preload knob via my fingers...

Preload ring and rebound knob are no problem, how about the compression knob on the remote canister?

2 minutes ago, betoney said:

Preload ring and rebound knob are no problem, how about the compression knob on the remote canister?

That one also

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I did K-Tech front cartridges, springs and rear shock at around the 3 month mark. I agree that doing suspension transforms this bike. I immediately felt that I was a better rider. If you've never done a good suspension on a motorcycle, you'll never understand how amazing a motorcycle can be. On back roads that batter me in my 2016 Tundra, my FJ09 would skim over them at 70 - 80 mph and I felt perfectly comfortable and confident. It just eats up harsh roads. When your suspension is correct, it allows these bikes to be the great handling machines they are. The bike goes exactly where you put it and your never left wondering exactly where you'll end up through a turn.

So.......I just traded this bike 3 weeks ago for an MT10. I was hoping that upgrading to a more refined bike would have a better stock suspension. No such luck. Maybe I wouldn't know better if I hadn't done the FJ09 but now I do. With a little over 200 miles I stopped at my local performance shop 3 days ago to order K-Tech rear shock. I think the front forks are pretty good and will only do springs for my weight and see how it is after being set up. If I need cartridges then I'll do them too. The Yamaha triples are all really fun bikes. I think the MT10 with that motor and suspension sorted out might be even funner. The reason I traded the FJ09........I got outrun by a hot rodded Mustang. That won't happen again.

BTW. There's a lot of good aftermarket suspension choices. I chose K-Tech because I thought it is the best bang for the buck.