Insurance?...

Curious what sort of damage this bike is doing to other persons insurance...

I am with Progressive. Currently have a wr250r and a te630 with them, full coverage, at 43 dollars a month with myself and my wife as the secondary driver on the wr250r. Adding the FJ-09 would jack it up to 183 dollars. That is like 4 and a half times what I am paying right now. I was told it is majorly the collision and the cc's screwing me. This is really off putting. That is more than I pay for my cars...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
If it is anything like the UK, the insurance costs for this bike vary considerably in whichever $ land you are from. I think this is because the bike is a new model and many insurers have not done any proper underwriting calculations yet.

Reading this forum and a few others, the market is gradually catching up and more insurers are issuing quotes in the expected range.

For me, my broker gave my underwriter a virtual slap last month and they came back with a quote some 20% lower than my previous bike, a 2011 model XT1200Z, which is where I would expect it to be pitched. Hopefully, by the time of my annual renewal in June the whole insurance market will have caught up and I will get full comprehensive insurance for around £100 (UK pounds) for the year...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Try Geico....... I just switched from foremost had a CRF250L & the FJ 09 for $130 a month...Geico lowered it to 76 a month
In 15 minutes or less? blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

My insurance Co. has the FZ09 listed as "model" on my insurance card. I too, think it is based on cc's since they do not know what kind of bike it is.I think it is difficult to accurately compare insurance $ since 'full coverage' is subjective. Here is mine:
Liability bodily injury  100/300  $77.00Liability property damage 100/300 $38Uninsured motorist bodily injury 100/300 $318.00Uninsured motorist property damage $250 deductible, $50,000 limit $69.00Comprehensive $1,000 deductible $63.00Collision $1,000 deductible $203.00Roadside Assistance $12Personal Injury protection declined.
Total $780 per year.

I won't even specify my premium...but suffice it to say it's about 50% higher than the next highest listed so far. That being said, I am still an M2 rider (graduated licensing) and have only had one full year of motorcycle insurance to my credit. But if you got the bug and want to ride, you have to get over the hump. Had an incident free first season last year on my CBR500RA over 3100kms, so far, so good.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Well, I want to thank the OP for this thread. I really didn't think about insurance too much as a new rider, as for my Honda Rebel I only pay $23 a month with Geico. I just received quotes online for two bikes I'm looking at, the Honda CB500X and of course the FJ. I currently have Geico and also received a quote from Progressive. Geico wants $146 a month to insure with 15K/30K coverage. Progressive wants $111.

I can afford those costs, but on principle alone that is a hard pill to swallow. I know my riding experience isn't helping, but that seems insane. I'm a great driver, and no accidents or tickets in the last 15 years. This was not expected at all unfortunately, my bad of course.

• 2 weeks later...
I envy you guys with these low rates. Up here in Manitoba I'm looking at $1325/ year with a maximum 33% discount, which takes 10 years to obtain. I was choosing the cheapest possible coverage too, and we have no choice as insurance is a provincial run monopoly. It did however make me choose the fj over all my other choices as it was among the cheapest to buy and insure. For example, there is a 2012 Ducati monster evo with 4k kms on it for sale, absolutely mint. $9200 cad. Insurance is $2500/year again with 33% discount. It's just outrageous.

I went with GEICO.  They hit me for $800.00 a year.  I have a ticket that will drop off my record in June which will put me in the $600.00/yr range.  I am the sole operator and have no other vehicles with them. My coverages are 100K property, 100K personal injury and 100K passenger injury, just in case I'm hit by a wild hare that throws me sideways someplace. They also include full cost replacement and 2K of accessories. Their billing bracket is at 850cc - tell them it's 847cc and you get a lower bill.  Thank goodness they don't bill by BHP or power/weight ratio.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I went with GEICO.  They hit me for $800.00 a year.  I have a ticket that will drop off my record in June which will put me in the $600.00/yr range.  I am the sole operator and have no other vehicles with them. My coverages are 100K property, 100K personal injury and 100K passenger injury, just in case I'm hit by a wild hare that throws me sideways someplace. They also include full cost replacement and 2K of accessories. Their billing bracket is at 850cc - tell them it's 847cc and you get a lower bill.  Thank goodness they don't bill by BHP or power/weight ratio.
I went with Geico as well. Progressive (who insures my moped and my te450), wanted more than $700 per year.  Geico, with 100k-300k liability, no uninsured/underinsured coverage, $250 deduct for comp and collision. $331/year.   I suspect I'll move my moped policy when it comes due. (The Husky is going away).

Archived