Insurance?...

Insuring the FJ-09 is a serious consideration if I so choose to purchase this bike. I presently pay $256/year for a 2010 Hypermotard 1100, a 2009 Husqvarna SM610 and a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF.
58 years old and live in upstate NY. My wife is also on the policy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Older thread I know, but I just dropped Progressive and accepted a policy from American Modern, I had never heard of them but my agent found them for me. Premium went from $588 down to almost $300, same coverage, no-brainer for me.
2015 FJ-09
2009 WR250R
1989 HawkGT

Same here with Geico. $68 a month. Farmers wanted $800 every 6 months. Progressive wanted $900 a year.
Progressive really tried to bend me over(and do me for a year)... Im young I get it, they wanted 2 grand a year for insurance from me... I think progressive is basing the insurance for this bike on a full on race machine or something.  

Dumping Progressive tomorrow. One of my other hot button issues is dog rescue. I just found out that Progressive categorically denies coverage for homeowners with dogs of certain breeds. They can't discriminate against a person by how they look, but they will with dogs. Besides, the quote I got with Dairyland was less than half. I aint that old, and I aint a hooligan, maybe that helps?

Guest bmidd
Same here with Geico. $68 a month. Farmers wanted $800 every 6 months. Progressive wanted $900 a year.
Progressive really tried to bend me over(and do me for a year)... Im young I get it, they wanted 2 grand a year for insurance from me... I think progressive is basing the insurance for this bike on a full on race machine or something.  
It's not the bike, it's all about your age, your driving record and credit history. I pay $500/ year for full coverage with Progressive and have one at fault accident on my record from 2012 that drops off this year and I'm 46.

Dumping Progressive tomorrow. One of my other hot button issues is dog rescue. I just found out that Progressive categorically denies coverage for homeowners with dogs of certain breeds. They can't discriminate against a person by how they look, but they will with dogs. Besides, the quote I got with Dairyland was less than half. I aint that old, and I aint a hooligan, maybe that helps?
Thats who I ended up going with, and they were also less than half what progressive wanted. I dont have a spotless driving record, but no major accidents or any moving violations.  as far as dogs go... Progressive isn't very.... progressive are they?

With all the insurance farkles added (Legal, personal injury, road side recovery (Inc Europe), and helmet and leathers cover) it came out about £240 fully comp for me... To be honest before I started getting quotes, due to age, driving/riding record and the area I live in, I was expecting around £350 so I was happy with the results...

I'm sure I'm paying more than some and maybe less than others, but that's the insurance game in the UK... Your insurance quote can literally change by 10% up or down from one day to the next.

Couter, I wouldn't go with Progressive either since they were trying to rip me off. GEICO cut me a good deal and automatically renews at the end of the year (with a 10% discount) thru my credit card.  When my ticket drops off my record in June, my rates drop!

Progressive will not insure households with pitbulls?  Another reason not to go with them.  I have a border collie/britany spaniel rescue  from W. Va and my daughter has a pitbull from a place in MD that got shut down.  The pitbull's a lickasaurus, the one you have to watch is that fine W. Va mix...
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Linchpin..... that's rich! Ouch! In comparison..... I will be paying $800/yr full coverage (when I finally get the bike) with The Personal.. in Ontario. 
That's not a bad rate, certainly seeing our fj brethren on here from the U.S. And UK makes me jealous of their rates. I was initially looking at the fz09 instead of the fj, similar bike, engine, etc..., and of course less cost. MPI wants $2500/yr for that bike with a 33% discount. 
Made my choice a lot easier, and have no complaints, I'm loving the fj. 
Good luck with your purchase, and get it as soon as you can. Our Canadian summer will be gone before you know it.

You guys will laugh at this. I'm in Alberta. I picked up my bike 6 weeks ago. I called my insurance company for the rate. It's not in their system. They need to "look at it". They issue me a 30 day pink card in the meantime. 

The 30 days had run out so I called them and said, what the hell am I paying for insurance?  They still haven't been able to "process" the bike. So they issued me another 30 day pink card. 

Ive had the bike now for almost 40 days and have no idea what my rate will be.  But I keep getting free insurance every 30 days while they figure it out.....

You guys will laugh at this. I'm in Alberta. I picked up my bike 6 weeks ago. I called my insurance company for the rate. It's not in their system. They need to "look at it". They issue me a 30 day pink card in the meantime.  
The 30 days had run out so I called them and said, what the hell am I paying for insurance?  They still haven't been able to "process" the bike. So they issued me another 30 day pink card. 

Ive had the bike now for almost 40 days and have no idea what my rate will be.  But I keep getting free insurance every 30 days while they figure it out.....

Sounds like you need to try a different broker. I go thru Intact Insurance in Alberta and for full coverage I pay $362 per year. I added the 2 year no depreciation and it was $420. And the FJ 09 is in the system. I'm 46 years old for reference with clean driving record.
Cheers

I now have a clean record (no accidents in the last 5 years), and 28 with an ok  credit score, and have Geico with multipolicy.  I had a quote a week or two ago through geico but couldn't pull it up (i think it was like 1400 for 12 months), but did a recent one and they quoted me $1,800 which is insane.  I did a prgoressive quote as well which they quoted me $1200.  I have full coverage now on an FZ6R and a suzuki volusia 800 for $750 a year.  I did an allstate quote and my truck + renters is cheaper and they quoted me $550 for the year, I will be switching as soon as my dealer gets the parts to perform the recall so I can actually buy the bike.

I got a quote from Progressive and they wanted almost $500/year. I currently pay $270/year for full coverage on my 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 through Progressive. Not sure why the FJ is so much more, maybe because it's a new model.

Got a quote from Dairyland for the same coverage, and they only want $311/year to cover both me and my wife on both bikes.

Anyone have experience with Dairyland Insurance?

Archived