Insurance?...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it that way with most Ins? They'll gladly take, but never wanna pay out. I'll give anyone a chance that isn't charging me 2 grand to ride my bike 7-8 months of the year...
I also love reveiws. They can help, but they all have to be taken with a grain of salt... Even the good ones.

You guys will laugh at this. I'm in Alberta. I picked up my bike 6 weeks ago. I called my insurance company for the rate. It's not in their system. They need to "look at it". They issue me a 30 day pink card in the meantime.  
The 30 days had run out so I called them and said, what the hell am I paying for insurance?  They still haven't been able to "process" the bike. So they issued me another 30 day pink card. 

Ive had the bike now for almost 40 days and have no idea what my rate will be.  But I keep getting free insurance every 30 days while they figure it out.....

Sounds like you need to try a different broker. I go thru Intact Insurance in Alberta and for full coverage I pay $362 per year. I added the 2 year no depreciation and it was $420. And the FJ 09 is in the system. I'm 46 years old for reference with clean driving record.
Cheers

Rzsk - I use Brokerlink as the broker but my insurance is through Intact!  I just talked to Brokerlink the other day and they still were unable to get a quote from Intact!  WTF?!

Sounds like you need to try a different broker. I go thru Intact Insurance in Alberta and for full coverage I pay $362 per year. I added the 2 year no depreciation and it was $420. And the FJ 09 is in the system. I'm 46 years old for reference with clean driving record. Cheers

Rzsk - I use Brokerlink as the broker but my insurance is through Intact!  I just talked to Brokerlink the other day and they still were unable to get a quote from Intact!  WTF?!
Same for me in Ab - the broker didn't have the bike listed in the system back in February, but used an estimate based on an 847cc touring bike. Intact then sent me the final paperwork and it was under $400. 

Same for me in Ab - the broker didn't have the bike listed in the system back in February, but used an estimate based on an 847cc touring bike. Intact then sent me the final paperwork and it was under $400. 
This is all good info guys thanks.  I did get an estimate quote as well before I bought the bike and they figured around $400.  I just can't believe it has taken them still this long to give me proper quote/insurance. 

My enquiries with Australian insurance companies:
YMWV due to neighborhood, your profile etc. 

Fully Comprehensive ($16,000 agreed value)

Suncorp website: $740
Shannons phone: $530
QBE phone: $435
Swann website: $426
InsureMyRide: $385
You i phone: $240

Shannons may have some bargaining room as it was a new model for them.
Youi would need a coverage comparison and their reputation checked.

Edit: Checked You i. Not that cheap once excess and extras are compared.
Their online reputation is worth a read. Do not give them any payment details just to get a quote !

Renewed my insurance yesterday with Carol Nash in UK.  Got it for £222.00 for multi bike policy, MT-09 tracer and TDM 850.  This included UK and European break down cover...
I have an FJ-09 (Tracer) and a TDM 850 as well!  (Very rare here in the US, only imported for 1992 and 1993.  Both fine bikes, for sure. 

Here in British Columbia Canada we have mandated Government insurance that has to cover the public liability portion of the Insurance. We can then use private insurance companies to insure the incidentals, such as collision, theft etc.

I insure the bike for incidentals year round, which ensures I am covered when the bike is parked for the season, and then 7 months public Liability insurance which lets me ride.

-public Liability from Government Insurance was 800. (for 7 months of riding)
-about 300 for the incidentals coverage from Family Insurance Corp. (for the whole year)

I have a clean driving record, with 40 % discount from Gov. Ins. Family gives us a deal because we insure both my wife's and my bike with them.

Although I live in one of the best places on earth to ride, I also live in one of the most expensive areas of BC for insurance due to the amount of wildlife hit on the highways in our local area.

• 3 weeks later...
I now have a clean record (no accidents in the last 5 years), and 28 with an ok  credit score, and have Geico with multipolicy.  I had a quote a week or two ago through geico but couldn't pull it up (i think it was like 1400 for 12 months), but did a recent one and they quoted me $1,800 which is insane.  I did a prgoressive quote as well which they quoted me $1200.  I have full coverage now on an FZ6R and a suzuki volusia 800 for $750 a year.  I did an allstate quote and my truck + renters is cheaper and they quoted me $550 for the year, I will be switching as soon as my dealer gets the parts to perform the recall so I can actually buy the bike.
So I went to switch to the quote Allstate gave me only to go back and realize the coverage was utter crap.  1k deductible collision and no comp.  Dairyland has quoted me about $650 for 250 deductible, 5k medical and 25/50 bodily/property. I did some reading and found a company on the east coast called Rider insurance, who quoted me just under $450 for same, except they don't cover medical (I'm thinking if I'm hurt the check they cut for the bike would cover medical until my deductible for that as I wouldn't likely be getting right back on the bike right away).  I'm pretty torn here, I don't want to get screwed over in case of a claim, but the big companies are charging highway robbery.  I've talked to multiple agents and shown them that the FJR is 450CC more, $6k more and way less to insure, but yamaha shows them in the same class (I realize I may be stretching a bit here but its not a supersport litre bike).   
I'll likely make my decision sometime tomorrow, I've read good things about rider other than the not covering medical, but they don't claim to cover it either. 

• Premium Member
Annual renewal time.

My existing broker Carole Nash wants £154 - fully comprehensive policy covering 3rd party damage, theft, fire and own damage in most European countries. Also includes the bolt on policies of legal cover and European breakdown cover.

I asked the broker to add use for commuting which puts the premium up to £195. I suggested this was too high and mentioned Devitt, one of their main competitors premium of £103 without the breakdown policy. A standalone European breakdown policy costs around £60 per annum.

The telesales chap came back with a price of £164 which I accepted. Not worth changing brokers for such a small sum.

£164 UKP is $257 USD or €226 Euro
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Curious what sort of damage this bike is doing to other persons insurance...  
I am with Progressive. Currently have a wr250r and a te630 with them, full coverage, at 43 dollars a month with myself and my wife as the secondary driver on the wr250r. Adding the FJ-09 would jack it up to 183 dollars. That is like 4 and a half times what I am paying right now. I was told it is majorly the collision and the cc's screwing me. This is really off putting. That is more than I pay for my cars...

Dude I just had a hell of a time with insurance for this bike. I think a lot of companies have it listed incorrectly, my first 4 quotes were over 2k a year! 2 thousand freaking dollars for a bike. I hit up derryland and walked out smiling at $390ish for full coverage.

Something is seriously wrong with the insurance quotes/listings/category of this bike.

Archived