Jump to content
davlec

Ohlins YA535 spring rate

Recommended Posts

I'm about to install a YA535 on my 2015 and would like to get an idea of how effective the hydraulic preload is with the standard spring. I'm 85kg with gear. A pillion and luggage adds about 100kgs. Will the hydraulic preload compensate fully for that load. I'd like to hear from people with actual experience using the YA535 with a load if possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you already order the shock?  Usually when you buy a shock the first thing they want to know is what you weigh with riding gear and they sell you the correct spring for your intended use.   Spring rates are based on weight, I dont think there is a "standard spring".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just installed one last weekend. I weigh 180lbs without beer. I’ll shoot you the spring number the factory sent me if you want. I did tell them my weight. Sag comes in about spot on with little to no preload with provided spring.  I have also read those who ride two up with this shock just have to give the preload a couple rotations and they are good to go. That is one of the big benefits of this shock. Easy to go from single to double riders. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2018 at 12:50 PM, coachluciano said:

I just installed one last weekend. I weigh 180lbs without beer. I’ll shoot you the spring number the factory sent me if you want. I did tell them my weight. Sag comes in about spot on with little to no preload with provided spring.  I have also read those who ride two up with this shock just have to give the preload a couple rotations and they are good to go. That is one of the big benefits of this shock. Easy to go from single to double riders. 

Thanks for replying coachluciano.

The 'standard' spring supplied by Ohlins is 01092-31 (Y). I have emailed Ohlins Australia regarding this but they haven't bothered to reply. Suppliers overseas haven't answered either. I would like to know what spring you were supplied with. 

If you have a YA535 would you be able to get someone weighing about your weight or more on the pillion seat to get an idea of whether or not the hydraulic preload can bring the sag back up to the solo measurement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@davlec - I’ll take a look this evening and see what spring was provided on my YA535.   I’m about 225 pounds, and had it ordered for my weight and riding style.   Not sure of the rate / spring number they fitted, but it’s spot on for me.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the standard spring is 95Nm.

its ok for a rider that weights 80 - 85 max kg naked. you should add aprox. 10 kg more for proper riding gear .... 

i have a 100 Nm rear for my 535 and its on stiff side but i have a bit longer rear wheel so i run with preload at 4 or 5... for proper sag values...


MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 2:34 PM, texscottyd said:

@davlec - I’ll take a look this evening and see what spring was provided on my YA535.   I’m about 225 pounds, and had it ordered for my weight and riding style.   Not sure of the rate / spring number they fitted, but it’s spot on for me.   

@texscottyd

Did you ever determine what spring you had on that shock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Nuckingfuts said:

@texscottyd

Did you ever determine what spring you had on that shock?

My apologies, but I don’t have an answer for that yet...  I didn’t see any part number or spring rate markings on the spring, and I forgot to check the box & paperwork.   I’m traveling for a couple of days, but will check when I get home later in the week.  

-Scott

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we’re on the subject:  Is there a marking or code on the spring of my Ohlins YA535 that I should be looking for to determine the spring rate?  I took a quick look and didn’t see anything obvious, but I’m not sure where I should have been looking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

While we’re on the subject:  Is there a marking or code on the spring of my Ohlins YA535 that I should be looking for to determine the spring rate?  I took a quick look and didn’t see anything obvious, but I’m not sure where I should have been looking.  

The information code should be printed on the spring- 

First code(4 digits) = length

Second code ( IE: 29/90) that's Ohlins code for stiffness ( Ohlins says code 29 is 90nm)

Third code is batch number...

 

Here is the stiffness code chart:

 

 

ohlinsshocksprings.jpg

Edited by norcal616
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok - I finally found the Ohlins spring code (mostly) on my YA535.   The portion I can read says ‘36/105 L0317’.   There might be something that precedes it (the spring length, based on @norcal616‘s information), but I can’t see that with the shock on the bike.   

Regardless, it appears that the 36/105 indicates a 105 N/mm (600 lbs/in) spring rate.   I’m 225 pounds without gear, and it works perfectly for me.   

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×