FJ-09 Control Levers

• Premium Member
Got these in the mail today. Direct from E-bay. Ya, not expensive, but I have had good luck with them in the past (never had a failure, and fits good). Not everybodies cup of tea, but I love the two tone look.
20150309_180324_zpscyasniic.jpg

20150309_180329_zpsffottqvk.jpg

Mostly good reviews. Mine showed up in great shape and fit perfect. As always, YMMV.

linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 1 month later...
Wow ! Very nice and cheap levers !

Question : The Ebay item is not listed as FJ09 compatible. The controls housing on the FJ09 are larger than on the FZ09.
Do they touch controls plastic when you squeeze the clutch all the way in ?

I definitely would like an adjustable clutch lever.

• Premium Member
Question : The Ebay item is not listed as FJ09 compatible. The controls housing on the FJ09 are larger than on the FZ09.

Mine doesn't touch, but I have long fingers and adjust it almost all the way out. I will check tomorrow on the lower settings to see if things will hit.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member

Mine doesn't touch, but I have long fingers and adjust it almost all the way out. I will check tomorrow on the lower settings to see if things will hit.
I haven't looked at the clutch lever you guys are talking about, but I put on a CSG lever I got from Revzilla (which was not so cheap :-) and found that if I angled the lever down to my preferred position it would hit the plastic.  The touch point was down near the pivot, before the adjustable part of the lever, so it didn't matter if the lever was adjusted out or not. 
My solution was to leave it angled slightly higher, just enough to clear. It's fine there, still plenty comfortable.

Even when it was hitting the plastic it pulled enough to disengage the clutch but I didn't want to have the contact if I could avoid it.

The brake lever did not have this interference issue.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I just checked my levers, the clutch lever goes all the way down to the grip without touching. The brake lever in the lowest position touches 1/2 inch from the grip. I think this would be easily remedied by rotating the throttle or the brake reservoir mount a small amount. Works for me anyhow.
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

what brand and model are these?  I have small hands and struggle with the clutch lever.   the clutch engagement is almost at full finger extension for me.  I looked at the CRG ones but it shows me that there are none available for the FJ.  Ideally I would like CRG brand clutch lever as I have a credit with canadasmotorcycle and would like to use it on that.  Seems CRG is the only adjustable lever they carry.

• Premium Member
what brand and model are these?  I have small hands and struggle with the clutch lever.   the clutch engagement is almost at full finger extension for me.  I looked at the CRG ones but it shows me that there are none available for the FJ.  Ideally I would like CRG brand clutch lever as I have a credit with canadasmotorcycle and would like to use it on that.  Seems CRG is the only adjustable lever they carry.
The first post has a Linky to click on. Jim has the CRG model and is probably what would work better for you.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

The first post has a Linky to click on. Jim has the CRG model and is probably what would work better for you.
thanks.  forget my credit, these are a way better deal!

Finally, after reading the whole internet, I decided to try the cheap Ebay levers.
I only need the adjustable clutch lever, so there is very little chance that I might break the lever on normal usage.

Brake is another story if the quality does not seems too bad, Ill use the clutch lever also, or keep the stock lever that is not too horrible.

Thanks for the link !

Black & Gold !

• Premium Member
Finally, after reading the whole internet, I decided to try the cheap Ebay levers. I only need the adjustable clutch lever, so there is very little chance that I might break the lever on normal usage.

Brake is another story if the quality does not seems too bad, Ill use the clutch lever also, or keep the stock lever that is not too horrible.

Thanks for the link !

Black & Gold !

Please post pictures when you get yours installed. I tried these because I like the two tone look. Not sure how long the cheap anodizing will last, but the fit is good which will make using them safer. I used knockoffs on my R1 on the race track and never had a problem. I hope these are as good. If they use the material they specify in the add (T6061), then they should be fine. The problem is when the drilled out hole does not match, so make sure yours is good. Since we use the stock bushing, which takes the rotation load, we should be fine. YMMV 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 3 weeks later...
I finally received and installed my Ebay Levers :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251753923753
They fit perfectly, on a FZ09 ! >:D Unfortunately, the clutch lever interferes with the control. But it touches at the really end of the course, so I don't think this is really a big problem. I tried to rotate the control, but something is blocking the rotation. So I will use them like this and check for potential damage dayly. 8-|

For the price, the finish and quality is surprising. I had rizoma levers before on another bike, and I don't recall that they we're "that" much superior.
Holes and machining are really nicely done and precise.
I don't think that I am going to be able to break them with my fingers alone anytime soon. Maybe in a crash, but who cares.  (rofl)
The adjustment mecanism works wonderfully.

It is really Stupid that Yamaha does not offer a adjustable clutch lever for this bike, while my GF 's 6000$ Ninja 650 has them.

On the brake side, no problems at all.

I could not ride yet, but I think I will like them. :)
The curvature make it more more natural for 2 fingers braking, and since that the lenght is roughly the same than stock, I will still be able to use the clutch with 4 fingers in traffic and also do 2 fingers wheelies. (rofl)

My only concern is the anodizing, which obviously could be not very durable at that price.
Time will tell !

VKX9Ivt.jpg
sbv9lGH.jpg
bzb867r.jpg
8fP9yiV.jpg

I just figured out how to rotate the controls in order that the clutch lever do not interfere anymore.
8-|
When you remove the 2 bolts of the left control assembly, there is a small plastic notch that prevents any rotation of the controls. There is also a hole in the bars.

You have to cut out this notch.

Like this:
YQBplrRl.jpg

i5yY6WVl.jpg

After that, you can rotate 10-15 degrees forward, and Voilà ! no more touching of the new lever in any position.

Now I can clutch in peace...

• 2 weeks later...
How much slack do these levers have before activation of the brake light switch? 
Stock lever has 13mm movement measured at the lever end before activating the switch.
I just checked on mine, I would say about the same, 15 mm or so. I will not dissasemble mine to check, but from what I remember, they both had the same shape near the pivot.
Only the lever shape changed.
Why is this important ?

Why worry about this ?

Archived