Madstad windshield

stgolfer

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Coop said:

Mine arrived today.  Tomorrow the fun begins.

What's your 20, as I'd love to be able to blow out the cobwebs and chillax after having to shovel snow off 2000 SF of drive and walk.  Now I have to profilactically salt... 🙂

20200112_131117.jpg

20200112_131322.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm considering the 26" Madstad to see if it's quieter with less buffeting than my Givi barn door tour screen with a bolt on MRA tour spoiler.  I'm only 6 foot but have an Orangateng upper body, slightly taller bars with more sweep with the bar risers in the back orientation, and a Sargent saddle in the upper position.

Does anyone think the 26" is too tall for me?

I've thought of adding spacers under the Givi lower 2 spacers to increase the pitch to have more under flow to equalize pressure first but all this will have to wait for spring.

20170520_154842.jpg

20170520_154901.jpg

Been a long time since I've heard "my 20".  Google Llano Estacado.  We had a big snow fall yesterday....an inch.  As for the Madstad, I like the pdf instructions better than the ones that can with the shield.  Not sure why, just me.  The holes in the plate are tight, but the toughest thing so far is getting those tiny o rings around the mounting bolts.  

22 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Lynn County in Staked Plains or NM?

Don't know much about how to install that Shield but I'm more Curious of your opinion of the best height for me relative to what you have and your size thanks

I'm not sure about height.  I measured top of tank to my chin and added 4 like they said and ordered a 22" shield.  I'm 6'2" so we will see how it works out.  I probably won't have it on until tomorrow and then it will be finding it's sweet spot.  The mounts look like there is lots of adjustment available.

There are so many variables like seat height, body height from seat, and personal preference.   

Edited by Coop

I'm 5' 9" and I tried the 20" screen per the Madstad site suggestion. While it did a decent job of blocking turbulence, at its highest setting I found that if I scrunched down a little it made the wind sound a lot quieter. Plus I didn't like the way it looked with the bottom of the screen being so high above the headlights.

Madstad graciously agreed to exchange it for a taller model with me paying the price difference and shipping. To get the looks and quiet air I wanted I went with the 24" screen, that put the top higher for quieter air while letting the bottom stay closer to the headlights for a smoother visual transition in my opinion. And since it's my bike my opinion is the one that counts the most. Ymmv.

I got the dark tint because I find it visually more appealing and even with the setup I've got I still look over the top of the screen when riding so I don't have to worry about the dark tint obscuring my vision at night.

20190923_123059.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

"New1709rider, thanks for the input kid...

Who's big silver can is sticken out your right side, and aren't those hiway pegs a might high n forward your shortish legs (no insult intended)?"

Uh oh....somebody's making assumptions...at 63 years of age it has been a while since I've been called "kid" old timer. The "New" in my forum name refers to my fj09,  not me. I guess judging from your forum name we could assume that mentally you're only firing on two out of three cylinders. 🤣

As for the short legs, I have a 30" inseam and have no trouble reaching the ground or my pegs. The high and forward location makes a nice change on long trips especially with a duffel as a back rest.

The big silver can is a Delkevic and has a pretty sweet sound without being obnoxiously loud.

Edited by new1709rider