Jump to content
stgolfer

Madstad windshield

Recommended Posts

As an old(er) engineer, I never make assumptions, or even presume much.  I understood your "handle" referred to your FJ-09 rather than you, and age is a relative.  Most everyone when it comes up think I'm a lot younger that I am; genetics I guess because I certainly don't do the things I should to better preserve myself.  Unfortunately, I used my body as a "hammer" in my youth and consequent joint damage has caused  me significant arthritis and sciatica issues that I'm trying to manage well enough to pull 500 mile days.  A Sargent saddle, different handle bars and screens, a throttle lock and Cramp Buster (toying with getting electronic cruise control), more ergonomic hand levers and fine tuning of control interfaces, upgraded suspension, rubber covered foot pegs, tank grip pads, easier to activate and much better stopping brakes, decent ear plugs, good helmets and gear, highway pegs, and lots of NSAIDs, stretching, needles and PT, etc have enabled me to still pull long, repeated days in the saddle.  I'm actually more comfortable riding than driving in a cage.

With a 32+ inseam I may try then moving my highway pegs closer to your location (though I have driving lights up there) on my set of Givi case guards.  Their current position (which is why I posted the pics, though harder to spot as they're black) is OK and I can actually rest the back of my calves on them with my legs straight out.

I've considered an AM can but I like to be stealthy and installing one would entail investing even more money and time including having the ECU flashed again.  As I've invested way too much in it already for what it is, as for a comparable capital outlay and a bunch less wrenching time (I do ALL my own work in my comfy and compact personal "shop") I could have had a very nice FJR or ZG14 (but didn't want the weight and girth nor all the plastic).  I'm satisfied with my fastest red's performance given what it is.  It doesn't feel particularly fast or powerful to me (I'm maybe a bit jaded by other higher performance bikes I've had); adequate would be the term I'd apply to my FJ-09.

Oh and in regard to assumptions, my "handle" reflects that one of my current two Yamaha's has two cylinders (a 76 or 77 RD400, I can't recall offhand), and to the subject vehicle at hand.  Not that I'm quite all there.  My memory has never been good for several reasons, and has eroded further as time marches on.  She Who Must Be Obeyed (a "saint" of a "Human Female") thinks my cranial function decay has been enhanced by CTE from landing on my head one too many times.  Possibly so, and mostly likely from many years as a fervent Judoka, and really only twice significantly from parting ways with a two wheeled conveyance; one with a motor, one without.

Sorry for using up so much bandwidth on topics directly related to this thread's topic.  And again, no insult intended but engineers have never been known for their tact, empathy and having a deft hand with social graces...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

As an old(er) engineer, I never make assumptions, or even presume much.  I understood your "handle" referred to your FJ-09 rather than you, and age is a relative.  Most everyone when it comes up think I'm a lot younger that I am; genetics I guess because I certainly don't do the things I should to better preserve myself.  Unfortunately, I used my body as a "hammer" in my youth and consequent joint damage has caused  me significant arthritis and sciatica issues that I'm trying to manage well enough to pull 500 mile days.  A Sargent saddle, different handle bars and screens, a throttle lock and Cramp Buster (toying with getting electronic cruise control), more ergonomic hand levers and fine tuning of control interfaces, upgraded suspension, rubber covered foot pegs, tank grip pads, easier to activate and much better stopping brakes, decent ear plugs, good helmets and gear, highway pegs, and lots of NSAIDs, stretching, needles and PT, etc have enabled me to still pull long, repeated days in the saddle.  I'm actually more comfortable riding than driving in a cage.

With a 32+ inseam I may try then moving my highway pegs closer to your location (though I have driving lights up there) on my set of Givi case guards.  Their current position (which is why I posted the pics, though harder to spot as they're black) is OK and I can actually rest the back of my calves on them with my legs straight out.

I've considered an AM can but I like to be stealthy and installing one would entail investing even more money and time including having the ECU flashed again.  As I've invested way too much in it already for what it is, as for a comparable capital outlay and a bunch less wrenching time (I do ALL my own work in my comfy and compact personal "shop") I could have had a very nice FJR or ZG14 (but didn't want the weight and girth nor all the plastic).  I'm satisfied with my fastest red's performance given what it is.  It doesn't feel particularly fast or powerful to me (I'm maybe a bit jaded by other higher performance bikes I've had); adequate would be the term I'd apply to my FJ-09.

Oh and in regard to assumptions, my "handle" reflects that one of my current two Yamaha's has two cylinders (a 76 or 77 RD400, I can't recall offhand), and to the subject vehicle at hand.  Not that I'm quite all there.  My memory has never been good for several reasons, and has eroded further as time marches on.  She Who Must Be Obeyed (a "saint" of a "Human Female") thinks my cranial function decay has been enhanced by CTE from landing on my head one too many times.  Possibly so, and mostly likely from many years as a fervent Judoka, and really only twice significantly from parting ways with a two wheeled conveyance; one with a motor, one without.

Sorry for using up so much bandwidth on topics directly related to this thread's topic.  And again, no insult intended but engineers have never been known for their tact, empathy and having a deft hand with social graces...

I'm a 5 hour guy.  I can remember most things after five hours.  As for riding, whatever it takes.  Besides, farkling is fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was going to test the new 22" shield, but it's hard to tell with the wind blowing 25/30 mph.  Maybe tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Coop said:

I'm a 5 hour guy.  I can remember most things after five hours.  As for riding, whatever it takes.  Besides, farkling is fun.

I like that, 5 hour guy, LOL

I'm more like a 5 minute man, I'll forget something in 5 seconds, really. I'm always trying to find where I put something or recall what I was supposed to do.  I write myself notes but misplace them.  So I try to remember to use my smart phone calendar and alarm.  But pain and having pish constantly is hard to forget.  On the other hand a fair bit of ADD, OCD and Dyslexia and actually help as much as it hinders.

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and hopefully you'll get your text ride in.  It'll be 43 here tomorrow but the roads are saturated with salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I like that, 5 hour guy, LOL

I'm more like a 5 minute man, I'll forget something in 5 seconds, really. I'm always trying to find where I put something or recall what I was supposed to do.  I write myself notes but misplace them.  So I try to remember to use my smart phone calendar and alarm.  But pain and having pish constantly is hard to forget.  On the other hand a fair bit of ADD, OCD and Dyslexia and actually help as much as it hinders.

Isn't that the truth!  I enjoy putting my hearing aids in the drawer and enjoying the quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the 26" screen and it's great for anyone 6'1" or taller. Tried the stock and a Yamaha touring but both blew buffeting right into my helmet. I had one of the rubber fasteners too loose and it popped out on the freeway at 80mph but I was able to hold it place and pull over. Make sure those are on good since that screen is huge and like a giant wind sail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 12:54 PM, stgolfer said:

I don't know the answer to that. You'd have to ask them. My guess would be "no", but I'm not sure. They mounted it at their shop and I wasn't paying that close attention.

Well nuts are not required there. The madstad bracket uses the existing threaded holes for the oem sliding bracket. Hope that helps

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, Mark Johnson said:

Well nuts are not required there. The madstad bracket uses the existing threaded holes for the oem sliding bracket. Hope that helps

thanks! been on the 20" for about 1 year now. really clean wind.

 

been on their shield on my previous nc700x for close to 5 years. Madstad is the choice of quality shields for me. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×