Madstad windshield

stgolfer

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

My Madstad arrived the other day and I can't wait to try it out.  I'm 6'3" with a 34' inseam and went with 26" screen.  Easy install and talk about a big screen!  Barn door for sure.  I will use this for highway and long trips.

I took the tip from another member and installed the stock screen to the madstad brackets to see how that would work for city riding.  Spring riding weather can't come soon enough!

Be safe out there.

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/18/2020 at 8:19 AM, joe72t said:

Hello All,

My Madstad arrived the other day and I can't wait to try it out.  I'm 6'3" with a 34' inseam and went with 26" screen.  Easy install and talk about a big screen!  Barn door for sure.  I will use this for highway and long trips.

I took the tip from another member and installed the stock screen to the madstad brackets to see how that would work for city riding.  Spring riding weather can't come soon enough!

Be safe out there.

Pictures if possible! 😁

• 4 months later...

Should be receiving mine in a few days. I have one on my FZ10 and love it. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and ordered a 22". It's 2"  over what they recommend for my height,  but after reading the comments here I figured I'd give it a try as I want quiet on certain rides. It's easy enough to take a couple inches off with a jigsaw, orbital sander and a propane torch. It's a lot harder to add 2"  if I bought too short...

7 hours ago, Soullancer said:

Got the 24" on my tracer gt, I'm 6'0".

Can't get it right, keep getting the buffeting on my helmet, feeling it right on the top of it.

Dunno what I'm doing wrong after trying all kinds of angles, had high hopes on this screen after all the stories

I was also having buffeting issues. In an unrelated attempt to prevent the mirrors from always getting bumped and coming loose on long rides, I decided to switch to some CRG mirrors after doing some research. I bought these (though I found a used set to save some $$): http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/quick-flip-mirror-mounts-arrow-kit/. Removing the factory mirrors resulted in very clean air flow with my 24" Madstad screen! I didn't make the change with that expectation in mind, but it worked wonderfully. There are knock-off versions of the mirrors available for much less money, but they don't have the quick rotating detent setup that the CRG mirrors have. It's not a necessary feature, but it is really nice for lane filtering. Note, the Rottweiler kit includes a mount to attach the mirrors to KTM handguards, and not the actual bars. I had to make a spacer and get some longer screws for them to work with the Tracer handguards. Here are what the mirrors look like on the bike:

x-CFT6hMsHMOQ6ovZTF580An5yezPvKnndtgNlsW

In other news, I have had a super annoying whistle ever since I installed the Madstad. I thought it was my helmet at first, but the whistle didn't change or go away when moving my head or covering vents. It turns out the little "V" cutout on the Madstad bracket is a perfect whistle at 60+ MPH:

wHbyRyJU29syGBDnjCg2otTLbgkiydayf80i-Tvh

Covering the hole with Gorilla tape silenced the whistle:

lAIuRaPEY1NzuCFUU0wqiBWRqgnt-RYTwA_pbtAg

• Thumbsup 3

46 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

I was also having buffeting issues. In an unrelated attempt to prevent the mirrors from always getting bumped and coming loose on long rides, I decided to switch to some CRG mirrors after doing some research. I bought these (though I found a used set to save some $$): http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/quick-flip-mirror-mounts-arrow-kit/. Removing the factory mirrors resulted in very clean air flow with my 24" Madstad screen! I didn't make the change with that expectation in mind, but it worked wonderfully. There are knock-off versions of the mirrors available for much less money, but they don't have the quick rotating detent setup that the CRG mirrors have. It's not a necessary feature, but it is really nice for lane filtering. Note, the Rottweiler kit includes a mount to attach the mirrors to KTM handguards, and not the actual bars. I had to make a spacer and get some longer screws for them to work with the Tracer handguards. Here are what the mirrors look like on the bike:

x-CFT6hMsHMOQ6ovZTF580An5yezPvKnndtgNlsW

In other news, I have had a super annoying whistle ever since I installed the Madstad. I thought it was my helmet at first, but the whistle didn't change or go away when moving my head or covering vents. It turns out the little "V" cutout on the Madstad bracket is a perfect whistle at 60+ MPH:

Quick question, how to remove the mirrors (without making them spin because of the wind when I put em back on ;))

• Thumbsup 1

@Soullancer, the left mirror unscrews by turning the whole mirror assembly counter-clockwise. The right mirror turns clockwise to be removed. You need to replace the mirrors with a 10mm bolt if you plan to keep the factory handguards. I used the mirror base on the right side since I didn't have a 10mm bolt with left-hand threads. 

2and3cylinders - did you ever space out your givi?

i have the barn door as well. 6' tall. on high setting i can't see over the screen as well. on low setting the buffeting hit the top 1 inch of my helmet, enough for high frequency buffeting at highway speeds. i had thought the same thing = space further away from mount. a friend of mine has a madstad on his v strom which works really well, and their mount holds it way off mounting plate

On 8/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, Soullancer said:

Got the 24" on my tracer gt, I'm 6'0".

Can't get it right, keep getting the buffeting on my helmet, feeling it right on the top of it.

Dunno what I'm doing wrong after trying all kinds of angles, had high hopes on this screen after all the stories

Uh oh, I ordered mine 2 weeks ago. Let's just hope it will work....

7 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

Uh oh, I ordered mine 2 weeks ago. Let's just hope it will work....

Mine also arrived damaged..

It's a complete nightmare as I see what I've paid for it to get it here, and waiting for over 3 months.

Now madstad are overthinking wether I should return it in order to get a new one. 😭 If it goes by the same speed I'll be waiting 6 months and another 100$