Madstad windshield

stgolfer

..Just got a update.

Madstad isn't the fastest with email replys, but waiting was worth it these 2 weeks.

They just sended me a notice that they are replacing the damaged screen, for free, to Europe.

Guess the nightmare of no answer or a 6 month return hassle that I was afraid of turned into a good customer service experience 🙂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I just bought a Madstad for my 2020 GT. I got the 22in light tint and there appears to be numerous tiny bubbles in the plastic. They are sending me a new screen free of charge. I also had their set up on my fz10. I ordered a replacement screen of a different size and it came in with imperfections. They sent 2 more screens for free before I got one that was perfect. I think they have some issues with their plastics, but their customer service has been pretty good for me. They don't want the old screens back so I have a few now.

3 hours ago, northsouth said:

I just bought a Madstad for my 2020 GT. I got the 22in light tint and there appears to be numerous tiny bubbles in the plastic. They are sending me a new screen free of charge. I also had their set up on my fz10. I ordered a replacement screen of a different size and it came in with imperfections. They sent 2 more screens for free before I got one that was perfect. I think they have some issues with their plastics, but their customer service has been pretty good for me. They don't want the old screens back so I have a few now.

So.. does the 22 work for your size for stopping turbulence?

2 hours ago, Soullancer said:

So.. does the 22 work for your size for stopping turbulence?

Will hopefully be able to tell tomorrow. Wanting to go for a 1st ride with it depending on the weather but it's pretty crappy at the moment, not supposed to be too much better tommorow. At least I can look at it..

So I took a long ride to test the Madstad. Their recommended size for my height was 20". After researching here, I went with the 22" and feel that I made the right decision. At first I was thinking about returning it as I was having a hard time getting the turbulence under control. I tried ALL POSSIBLE POSITIONS over and over again until deciding on full height and tilted fully back on the adjusters. Seems very small adjustments make significant changes. Being that full height and tilted fully back worked for me, the 20" definitely would have been too short. 

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

After living with the 22" for a while I realized that 2" more height would give me a totally quiet ride. I figured that I could always lower it and tilt it fully back for maximum air flow, so I rode down to Madstad to swap it out. Their customer service is awesome. They happily switched it out, took a few pictures of my bike and charged me nothing. Rode home in total quiet and comfort. Highly recommend their windscreen. Even at full height, the airflow made for nice ride at 93 degrees today. 

4 hours ago, northsouth said:

After living with the 22" for a while I realized that 2" more height would give me a totally quiet ride. I figured that I could always lower it and tilt it fully back for maximum air flow, so I rode down to Madstad to swap it out. Their customer service is awesome. They happily switched it out, took a few pictures of my bike and charged me nothing. Rode home in total quiet and comfort. Highly recommend their windscreen. Even at full height, the airflow made for nice ride at 93 degrees today. 

I'm curious.  To achieve this total quiet nirvana, are you looking through the windshield or just over?

I also have a Madstad.  At full height, I look several inches above and get just a small amount of turbulence on top of my helmet.  I suppose I could go with then next larger screen but then I'd be looking through it, which I don't prefer. 

8 hours ago, roadwarrior said:

I'm curious.  To achieve this total quiet nirvana, are you looking through the windshield or just over?

I also have a Madstad.  At full height, I look several inches above and get just a small amount of turbulence on top of my helmet.  I suppose I could go with then next larger screen but then I'd be looking through it, which I don't prefer. 

I too was looking several inches above it and had noise but not a lot of turbulence. Now I'm looking about 1 1/2" to 2 inches above it with quiet and no turbulence at full height, tilted about 3/4 back. I didn't want to look through it either. Of course you can adjust it down too. I don't know how they come up with their height recommendations but for me it wasn't even close.

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/13/2020 at 10:23 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

As an old(er) engineer, I never make assumptions, or even presume much.  I understood your "handle" referred to your FJ-09 rather than you, and age is a relative.  Most everyone when it comes up think I'm a lot younger that I am; genetics I guess because I certainly don't do the things I should to better preserve myself.  Unfortunately, I used my body as a "hammer" in my youth and consequent joint damage has caused  me significant arthritis and sciatica issues that I'm trying to manage well enough to pull 500 mile days.  A Sargent saddle, different handle bars and screens, a throttle lock and Cramp Buster (toying with getting electronic cruise control), more ergonomic hand levers and fine tuning of control interfaces, upgraded suspension, rubber covered foot pegs, tank grip pads, easier to activate and much better stopping brakes, decent ear plugs, good helmets and gear, highway pegs, and lots of NSAIDs, stretching, needles and PT, etc have enabled me to still pull long, repeated days in the saddle.  I'm actually more comfortable riding than driving in a cage.

With a 32+ inseam I may try then moving my highway pegs closer to your location (though I have driving lights up there) on my set of Givi case guards.  Their current position (which is why I posted the pics, though harder to spot as they're black) is OK and I can actually rest the back of my calves on them with my legs straight out.

I've considered an AM can but I like to be stealthy and installing one would entail investing even more money and time including having the ECU flashed again.  As I've invested way too much in it already for what it is, as for a comparable capital outlay and a bunch less wrenching time (I do ALL my own work in my comfy and compact personal "shop") I could have had a very nice FJR or ZG14 (but didn't want the weight and girth nor all the plastic).  I'm satisfied with my fastest red's performance given what it is.  It doesn't feel particularly fast or powerful to me (I'm maybe a bit jaded by other higher performance bikes I've had); adequate would be the term I'd apply to my FJ-09.

Oh and in regard to assumptions, my "handle" reflects that one of my current two Yamaha's has two cylinders (a 76 or 77 RD400, I can't recall offhand), and to the subject vehicle at hand.  Not that I'm quite all there.  My memory has never been good for several reasons, and has eroded further as time marches on.  She Who Must Be Obeyed (a "saint" of a "Human Female") thinks my cranial function decay has been enhanced by CTE from landing on my head one too many times.  Possibly so, and mostly likely from many years as a fervent Judoka, and really only twice significantly from parting ways with a two wheeled conveyance; one with a motor, one without.

Sorry for using up so much bandwidth on topics directly related to this thread's topic.  And again, no insult intended but engineers have never been known for their tact, empathy and having a deft hand with social graces...

I had a 77 RD 400, hotted up a bit with expansion chambers and other mods.  Very fun cheap bike.  Which had self canceling turn signals, for crying out loud.  Why not on the FJ?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, fjray said:

I had a 77 RD 400, hotted up a bit with expansion chambers and other mods.  Very fun cheap bike.  Which had self canceling turn signals, for crying out loud.  Why not on the FJ?

I made the mistake of selling my very tricked out 72 H2 Mach IV, 81 GPz550D1, 88 NT650 Hawk Gt & 61 Matchless G80Cs Cafe (among others), and vowed to keep what I have...

"If I knew then what I know now, when I was younger", Rod Stewart "Ooh La La"

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 1/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I made the mistake of selling my very tricked out 72 H2 Mach IV, 81 GPz550D1, 88 NT650 Hawk Gt & 61 Matchless G80Cs Cafe (among others), and vowed to keep what I have...

"If I knew then what I know now, when I was younger", Rod Stewart "Ooh La La"

I too had a 72 750 triple Kawasaki.  I walked past a 74 KZ900 the other day and noticed it had one disc brake on the front, and a drum brake on the rear.  As did my 750 triple.  And we're complaining about brakes today?  I wouldn't own either one of those today as a bike I expected to ride, safely.