rubber-topped front footpegs for MT-09 Tracer/ FJ-09

Not on the ones I've owned - on the OE and on aftermarket rubber-top pegs... identical diameter and threads.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

5 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Not on the ones I've owned - on the OE and on aftermarket rubber-top pegs... identical diameter and threads.

These are the ones I got from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF8K6MZ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01MF8K6MZ&linkCode=as2&tag=cigarobsecom-20&linkId=eb8365811195b3db2426392388e68ba1

You can even see in the pic the smaller thread for the feelers whereas the ones on the oem are almost the same diameter as the feeler itself... but, as you pointed out before, the pegs are longer so it's a moot point.

Thanks, mellow.   I'll take good look at mine when I get the new bike home in a cuppla days time and when the new pegs arrive!   I guess different manufacturers may have different approaches...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Quite correct, mellow, thank you.   The new pegs arrived today (along with the new bike!) and the new, shorter feelers have an appreciably thinner thread.

Later edit: unfortunately the package omitted to have the circlips (spring washers) that secure the pivot pin to the body of the peg.   Are these readily found in auto shops?   I don't want to have to screw around with the vendor and waste valuable time...

P1040926.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

The first thing to touch down after the feelers is the center stand. I use those rubber coated pegs with no feelers but have trimmed the rubber centerstand bumper down with a razor blade to raise it quite a long way. Pegs touch first and you really have to be leaning to do that meaning max attack, perfectly clean familiar roads or a track. I have no chicken strips  and wear out both tires in less than 4K miles. Wear out meaning bald on the shoulders with tons of tread left in the center. 

• Thumbsup 1

I'm pleased to say that having now installed these rubber-topped foot-pegs today, irrespective of whether or not the vendor's website says they may not be compatible with our Tracers, they are (or at least mine are)!

Usual difficulty in drilling-out the lhs blind rivet or pivot-pin that secures the lhs peg, but that only took a few minutes and a bit of brute force.   The OE rhs peg was secured by a split-pin - for the life of me I fail to understand why Yamaha choose to do things differently on each side!   But both pegs are now secured by clevis-pins. 

Note the shorter-than-OE hero-knob, a.k.a. feeler peg.

P1040948.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Wordsmith, is that clevis pin that much too long? It looks like it's 50% too long in the picture. If so I'd see if the OEM pin from the other side fits it correctly and get another from Yamaha.  

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

I showed this photo in another post, it may be benificial here if anyone is looking for rubber topped pegs front and rear. The fronts are the aftermarket ones others are talking about, I found these on eBay for $8.75. For the rear I used pegs from a Super Tenere, they match the fronts perfectly.

The aftermarket pegs come with new pins and springs and as mentioned the pin is too long for the left side. Yamaha uses a shorter pin but it's a rivet and not available as a separate part. For the rear I was able to reuse the stock springs, balls, pins and cotters on the Tenere pegs.

image.jpeg

Edited by gv550

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

4 hours ago, tktplz said:

Wordsmith, is that clevis pin that much too long? It looks like it's 50% too long in the picture. If so I'd see if the OEM pin from the other side fits it correctly and get another from Yamaha.  

Thanks for this observation, tktplz.   The lhs clevis pin is, indeed, too long, but it's what came in the pack with the new foot-pegs, and the clevis pins in that pack are not drilled to take a split-pin - they need circlips (E clips actually).

Because the circlips were absent from the pack and I couldn't get new ones quickly enough, I replaced the split-pin on the rhs clevis pin, so that's perfectly secure now.   But I put a new E clip on lhs footpeg clevis, and I'm conscious that being so exposed that I might accidentally kick it off with my boot heel while riding.   That could end in tragedy!    I recall the same problem with an earlier Tracer on which I fitted these rubber-topped pegs.

Just now, Christmas Day and all - but what the heck! - I have removed the clevis pin from one of the pillion pegs (both secured with split-pins) and fitted it to the lhs rider footpeg.   

BTW, the OE clevis pins are a good 5mm shorter than those supplied with the new footpegs...  This has fixed it, and since I never carry a pillion the swap won't matter.   

Thank you for drawing my attention to this, tktplz, I'm glad I've been prompted to remedy things. 

10 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Thanks for this observation, tktplz.   The lhs clevis pin is, indeed, too long, but it's what came in the pack with the new foot-pegs, and the clevis pins in that pack are not drilled to take a split-pin - they need circlips (E clips actually).

Because the circlips were absent from the pack and I couldn't get new ones quickly enough, I replaced the split-pin on the rhs clevis pin, so that's perfectly secure now.   But I put a new E clip on lhs footpeg clevis, and I'm conscious that being so exposed that I might accidentally kick it off with my boot heel while riding.   That could end in tragedy!    I recall the same problem with an earlier Tracer on which I fitted these rubber-topped pegs.

Just now, Christmas Day and all - but what the heck! - I have removed the clevis pin from one of the pillion pegs (both secured with split-pins) and fitted it to the lhs rider footpeg.   

BTW, the OE clevis pins are a good 5mm shorter than those supplied with the new footpegs...  This has fixed it, and since I never carry a pillion the swap won't matter.   

Thank you for drawing my attention to this, tktplz, I'm glad I've been prompted to remedy things. 

I agree. I'm changing out my aftermarket front pins with OEM pins and cotters. Christmas Day and all, but I have to finish  peeling potatoes first!

14 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Thanks for this observation, tktplz.   

Wasn't trying to point at anything Wordsmith. Just noticed in the picture it looked too long, didn't know if it was an optical illusion of the picture or not. Glad you figured out the passenger peg clevis pins work. I have taken those off and put on R & G blanking plates for weight savings. I won't have to buy a brake peg Clevis. As I put on luggage I try to take away any weight I can. That's why I switched to this bike from my ZX11 Ninja, 462 VS. 620 Lbs.  And yes I've gone from 327 Lbs to 222 lbs myself......to save weight. I do kind of miss the feeling of the hand of God coming in behind the ole ZX and push me forward as I twist the grip. Yes the FJ has more than enough power to weight ratio but nothing feels like 150 HP on the loud twist grip, LOL!

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

28 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

What does 'peeling potatoes' mean?

Preparing a Christmas dinner for 16 people, our task is baking the potatoes, others will bring meat, veggies, etc.

Merry Christmas to all................

4 hours ago, tktplz said:

Wasn't trying to point at anything Wordsmith. 

I do hope that this response doesn't imply that I was peeved at your having pointed out the longer pin issue, tktpplz, for although I had certainly noticed it I wasn't overly concerned until your comment opened my eyes, as they say!   I'm grateful for your observation!   If I may - does tktplz suggest 'tickets please'?   If not , it's my warped soh at play!   If so...???